Yet another "Help me decide which camera" thread.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by enVmyIX, Nov 11, 2011.

1. enVmyIX

enVmyIX New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2011
    I have been reading through this forum for a few days now to do a little research and like the EPM1 for the price, size, and upgraded processor / AF speed. But I have also read that the EPL2 is a good camera too, I'm not sure which one will suit me best. I do not want to go much more than $ 500 because I would like to get an additional lens or two as well with the camera.

Background :

Photography interests me very much, but I have never dedicated enough time to really get into and i would love to start doing so. I have been a point and shoot only camera owner, but have played with my dad's dslr here and there, nothing too crazy though. My dad also purchased an ep1, or epl1 (can't remember) about a year ago, but than taking a few shots with it when just got it, i haven't used it.

What I will shoot

I will mostly be shooting landscapes, cars, indoor low light situations, friends and family, and vacation travel (going to Saint Lucia in late April for my honeymoon). I would also use to camera to take pictures of fashion products that will be uploaded to my fiancé's online shop, mostly shoes and accessories.

Should I wait until right before April to make the purchase to see if prices go down or if something better comes out or just buy now and not worry about that.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good choice. You need to save up for the lenses if you want good performance out of your system. If you plan to use this for fashion products though, you really need to look into getting some proper lighting. Either a set of studio strobes (I would get at least 2) with softboxes or octoboxes, or a set of about 4 or more speedlights with appropriate modifiers (softening type) and light stands. You don't need fancy triggers just to shoot in your store, optical slave will work.

The E-PL2 will give you a larger build (including larger grip for heavier lenses), more external control, and a built-in Remote Flash Commander which can trigger external flashes at the same time as using the EVF external viewfinder. The E-PM1 has an included Remote Flash Commander which uses the same port as the viewfinder, but both can use the same hotshoe flash and triggers as long as the EVF is not being used at the same time. This is not usually a big deal as the EVF is most necessary for bright sunlight shooting outdoors, whereas flash is most necessary indoors in controlled environments. The E-PM1 has the dual processors and will give you a little faster AF and response, and has a revamped shutter mechanism which will give you 5 fps burst rate as opposed to 3 fps with the old shutter. The E-PL2 was getting pretty decent AF and response though, which was already significantly improved over the previous generation PENs. The E-PL2 also showed improved image quality over the previous generation PENs, using the same imaging technology and super-weak AA filter of the E-5 (the weak AA filter captures the full resolution and fine detail out of the lens). This is of course carried on in the E-PM1 and even slightly improved, but the difference will not be much. The AWB of the new generation PENs should be better though. The E-PM1 is the slimmest and smallest PEN yet by a significant amount, so if real tight packing is important to you then that is the camera you'll want.

I would think you'd get your best deals in early December before Christmas...
  3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Mitsubishi Evolution?
  4. enVmyIX

enVmyIX New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks for the in-depth analysis Ned, I'll be looking into the light recommendations you made.

Zephyr, you are correct, no one has guessed that ever, other than on the evo forums of course. Here are a few pics I took of it recently.

5. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    My favorite generation out of 7,8 and 10. Welcome to mu-43 forums. We have quite a handful of car folks here. Southern cali?
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Evo with roofracks... Different :wink:
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    If your budget is really tight, don't forget about the NEW E-P2 body at cameta for $299 USD :smile:
  8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Yes, the E-PL2 showed improved image quality over the EP-1 and EP-2. But what about the E-PL1? Look at the comparisons between the E-PL2 and E-PL1 at ISO 200/100 and 1600 here:
    Olympus PEN E-PL2 Compact System Camera - Review
    The E-PL1 images have more detail to my eyes than the E-PL2 images although the author of that review felt that the differences are probably due to differences in the factory default noise suppression and sharpening settings.

The E-PL1's slow focus performance can also be substantially improved upon by using a 14-42mm kit lens from a 2nd or 3rd generation PEN camera or using Olympus's inexpensive 40-150 mm zoom lens.
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    One thing you will find about many Olympus improvements is that they are released without fanfare in an earlier model as a kind of test subject, before it is marketed as something new and exciting in a later model. I am pretty sure the E-PL1 was one of these. Many users did notice it had a weaker AA filter, which is something they had also tried with the E-510 (but I guess the consumers griped too much about noise so Olympus seemed to ditch the idea for further models - which is a real pity because none of the NMOS sensored E-System cameras had such sharp images as the E-510 until the E-5 came out), then after the E-PL1 the E-5 came about and the new weak AA filter and "Fine Detail Processing" was actually pushed in the marketing. The E-PL2 follows the exact same technology as the E-PL2, but I believe that technology was mostly intact already by the time of the E-PL1. :)
  10. enVmyIX

enVmyIX New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2011
    She is in winter mode with snowboard attachments and snow tires :biggrin:

The 9 is my favorite too, it's the pinncle of the series, the 10 moved away form the raw-ness of the 8-9. Yeah I'm in Socal, Hollywood area.

Seems like the EPM 1 will be a good choice for me, I would really like to pair it with the panny 20mm 1.7 and oly 45mm 1.8, both are super appealing with their wide apertures. Where do people get skins for their camera's it would be fun to be able to customize the body.
    Has anyone tried out the Franiec grip for the EPM 1, how does it feel?

I will keep an eye on the deals section on this forum in hopes that there will be some nice sales for the holiday season, maybe for black Friday?
  11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX