1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Yes, more questions about Panasonic lenses on Olympus body

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twigboy, Sep 10, 2016.

1. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    My Olympus kit lens 14-42 IIR broke -- probably that ribbon problem (don't take pictures of mini-toads?). Can't use at 30-42mm right now. I was already thinking about a 12mm prime when this happened , probably the Rokinon f2. Anyway, I got to thinking of a different carry-around zoom, like the Olympus 12-40 f2.8 but the Panasonics 12-32 f3.5 and 12-35 f2.8 caught my eye also. I have a E-P5 body which I picked up slightly used so I could try the focus peaking with my old Minolta MC/MD lenses (like the 50mm f1.4). Works nicely most times (not so much in low light) but focus peaking use is probably only going to be about 10% of shooting time.

The Olympus 12-40 seems almost as large as my Olympus 40-150 (no, I didn't check -- it's just perception compared to the 14-42), and the Panasonic 12-32 is about as small as the broken lens. The 12-35 seems larger. Two of these are pushing my budget a little but I'll consider reliability comes with a price (no?).

What I am currently concerned about is how any of these lenses work on this body with manual focusing. I believe the Olympus has a sliding ring that does direct focus, right? How sturdy is that?

But do the Panasonics need a native body to do manual focus or will either of these work manually on the E-P5?

Thank you for any comments can you make about any of these lenses? Or another suggestion? No longer made lenses? Or perhaps one of the Panasonic 14-42's?

2. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I used to have a Pany 12-35 on a E-PL5, now I have an Oly 12-40 on a E-PL7. The 12-40 isn't that much bigger or heavier, and for me a key advantage is the manual focus clutch, which I use all the time. Both lenses can be focused manually by switching the camera to manual focus mode, which is what I did with the 12-35, but now that I have the 12-40 I use the focus clutch instead. Did I mention I use it all the time?

For me, the other advantage of the Oly is that it performs best at the wide end, which is where I shoot most photos, whereas the Pany performs best at longer focal lengths. Both produce very good images, though, so whatever you get you won't be disappointed.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You'll lose nothing by using any of those lenses on your E-P5 - except for two things:
    • No dual-IS, newer Panasonic bodies sync up the OIS in the lens and the IBIS in the body - not a bit loss compared to Olympus 5-axis IBIS, especially at these focal lengths.
    • No MF for the 12-32mm - only Panasonic bodies have bothered implementing touch based MF control (the 12-32 doesn't have an MF ring).
    You do gain a MF clutch and extra lens function button with the 12-40. The 12-40 is about the size of the 40-150R, but is MUCH heavier (it will make your kit front heavy I suspect). I recommend you simulate the weight hanging off your E-P5 to see if you're comfortable with it.

As far as reliability goes:
    • The 12-32 does not have a great record - the outer shell is simply glued on and many have reported it coming apart in hot weather. I personally have not experienced this with mine but then I don't live in a hot climate.
    • The 12-40 is built well but... because it's so heavy, there were some reports of mount failure due to the sheering forces of impact. I personally have not experienced this with mine.

4. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
  5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The 12-40 is heavy but an incredibly good lens.
    I have doubts there ever was a lens mount problem. I remember it at the time and the original case was someone who had it in a sports bag which they threw across the room or did something bad to, when they forgot the camera was in it. After that there were one or two poorly described cases and then none at all since.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JanW

JanW Mu-43 Regular

One thing to consider is the minimum focus distance. Only a few of the m4/3 zooms have close up capabilities and the 12-40 is one of them (I think the only other options are Oly 12-50mm and the new Pany 12-60mm).

7. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Yes. On an Olympus body you use the Olympus updater the same way you would update an Olympus lens firmware.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The 12-35 f2.8 is a superb lens and works very well on Olympus bodies. It's notably more compact than the 12-40 and loses nothing in IQ. I can heartily recommend it.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    There were quite a few cases of mount failure reported on DPReview when the lens was first shipping. Olympus replaced them all for free, which suggests that they were likely culpable to some degree. It was likely a manufacturing defect that was missed in the mass production shakeout. Sounds like the problems have since dried up, which means that either Olympus quietly changed the design, or has simply improved their process control.

10. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Ug. Maybe it would help if I explain what I have. Olympus 25 1.8 and 40-150 f4. Minolta MC 50 f1.4 (manual). Tamron 70-210 f3.5 (manual MC Minolta mount; obviously tripod area). Rokinon 85 f1.4 (adapted manual four thirds). I use the manual lenses almost exclusively when I have a chance to be still (not walking around) but perhaps not with a tripod. Wanted more open 12mm maybe like Rokinon 12 f2 or Olympus for close or family photos w/lower light. And something for quick travel/walking/vacation zoom to replace broken Olympus 14-42 II. Did I mention that I try not to use flash, sometimes to a fault?

Maybe, to replace the broken Olympus 14-42 II, the Panasonic 12-35 2.8 (just a tad larger because it doesn't fold up) or Olympus 12-40 f2.8 and be done with it. Or the Panasonic 12-60 3.5 then maybe get the Rokinon or Olympus 12 later. I think the Panasonics appear in image samples to be better at mid apertures while the Olympus at wider. Ug.

What would you do?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    From what I tracked there were less then 20 lenses with mount failures during the first year. And ya Olympus took care of all of us - the lenses were all under warranty! Which suggest no culpability, no manufacturing defect, no design issue - just Olympus supporting their warranty.

And whatever the 12-35 supposed issue was I've never seen with my lens, it does have the latest firmware though.

@twigboy@twigboy - either the Olympus 12-40mm or the Panasonic 12-35mm would be good choices. If about 1/4" in length and a couple of ounces in weight makes a difference, get the 12-35mm. If you need a pseudo macro - the Olympus is a little better. The 14-42s are a step down, and so is the price.

12. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Thanks all for your thoughts and advice, although I have one more request for advice. The prices of the Panasonic 12-35 jumped up to about $1000 which is over budget now so I will wait supposedly for a sale (?). In the meantime, I'm contemplating watching for a used version from places like B & H and KEH. The question: Panasonic will allow up to 3 years warranty (up from 1 year in a special deal https://static.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/Rebates_Promos/033117_PANA70_3-WARRANTY.pdf) for a new lens, while the used equipment sellers may have 6-month warranties but at a cheaper price. Given experience with this lens how worthy is that 3 year or 1 year warranty; is it generally needed? Or will I likely be ok with used and 6 months? Thanks.

13. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    You may want to check out the Panasonic 14-45 lens. It is one of the most underrated lenses. Check out this DPReview. Using the "Compare" mode on this graph you can bring in other lenses such as the 20mm fixed focal length lens and you will note that in most aspects this 14-45mm lens is as good. Bring in the Oly 14-42mm lens and you will see that the Panasonic lens is much sharper at all focal lengths. On any of the Oly or Panasonic bodies it is well balanced. If you do not need the fast aperture then this might be an answer for you. It is well made and will feel substantially better than the Oly lens you have had experience with and for around $150 it puts less stress on your photo budget. Panasonic Lumix GF1 Review

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've had my 12-35 for a couple of years and it's a pretty robust lens. I wouldn't worry about warranty issues personally. You can find used ones for a lot less than $1000 so I'd be tempted to do that and bank the saving in the very unlikely event that you have issues.

BTW - my main kit is Oly body plus Panasonic zooms (7-14, 12-35 & 35-100). It all works very well together - well, except for the purple flare on the 7-14!

15. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I also had the Panasonic 12-35 and much preferred it to the Oly 12-40 which I tried at the same time but did not purchase as I found it a bit large and heavy for the E-M10 and E-M5 bodies.

16. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Thanks. I checked into this. It does appear to be a better performer than I had with the Olympus 14-42, but this shows on a Panasonic body. I thought things were equal on M4/3 but then started reading things about corrections in the body for lenses, such as is reported here for chromatic aberration "However, when using non-standard RAW converters it's quite obvious that the problem is generally on a quite high level (1-2px) from 14mm to 25mm." Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS - Review / Test Report - Analysis

The Olympus bodies can't correct for a Panasonic lens? I notice the green and pink edges.

17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Most bodies do, but if you're using RAW all in-camera corrections are completely irrelevant and you instead need to correct them in software (preferably with a matching profile for the lens; the body is irrelevant).

18. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Thanks. I do both jpg and raw. So as confirmation as you have stated, I found this so I think it should be OK for distortion, but perhaps not for CA. Panasonic Lenses on Olympus bodies - Are automatic corrections applied?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review Post processing when needed/wanted for CA and distortion -- ug, I'll have to learn software. Are there pre-set corrections in software for the Panasonics 12-35 and 14-45 and the Olympus 12-40?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I think that link is out of date WRT current bodies.

I'll let someone else answer on software as I don't use lightroom, but I will mention that I don't get CA very often with my lenses in my RAW files.

20. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I have several Panasonic and Olympus lenses for use on my E-M5 and E-M1, and process the RAW images in Lightroom. Lightroom seems to make all corrections to both. In rare case I go in and adjust distortions, CA, etc. - and that is as true of the Olympus lenses as well as the Panasonic lenses.

• Informative Informative x 1