Yes, another tripod question....

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Djarum, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So, my beloved Manfrotto 785B Modo tripod fell apart on me last week. I've had it for a few years and purchased it purely has something to get me going with mFT. So I've been looking for some "traveler tripod" options. My requirements are that it packs less than 17" and it at least goes to 60" with center column out. I've found several tripods that meet my needs, but most seem awefully similar and I have no idea about the differences in brands.

Mefoto backpacker:

MeFOTO RoadTrip Travel Tripod Kit (Blue) A1350Q1B B&H Photo

Pros: Made by benro, higher load rating, decent ball head
    Cons: Seems expensive for what it is, 5 section

Oben AT-3400
    Oben AT-3400 4-Section Aluminum Folding Tripod w/ AT-3400/BA-00T

Pros: lighter at 2.7lbs, a little better price, 4 section
    cons: Only single lever for ball head

Benro Travel Angel:

Benro A1690TBH0 Travel Angel Tripod, BH0 Ballhead, Case A1690TBH0

Pros: Benro, slightly cheaper than the Mefoto
    Cons: Single action ball head, 5 section

Older on sale model of the Giottos Vitruvian:

Giottos Vitruvian VGR9254-S2C 4-Section Aluminum Tripod VGR9254-S2C

Pros: 4 section, slightly lighter than Benro and Mefoto at 3.3lbs, dual action ball head
    Cons: Not sure

3 legged thing

3 Legged Thing X1.1A Adrian/AH1 Ballhead Magnesium Tripod Kit, Blu 3LTX1.1AKITBL

Pros: Magnesium alloy
    Cons: Weight at 3.9 lbs.

All of these are very similar in design. I'm just not sure which one to get or have any clue about the brands, other than Giottos and Benro, soley by reputation only. The Sirui is too short for my needs, but was looked into.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Looking at the specs the Oben gives best value for money. Out of the rest the Giottos is giving the most since it has the ability to serve as a monopod and it support Arca plate. The Mefoto is over rices and have less features.

I would have select the Giottos because of the features.

3. Senna

Senna New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2013
    Hi

I would strongly recommend the 3lt Adrian has built in monopod excellent quality great people to deal with excellent customer service you deal with the people that own the company

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    My travel tripod is a Slik from the 80's.. Made in Japan, built like a tank, light as a feather, pan and tilt built in head. $20 on etsy.. shipped.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For the OP - I think all would work fine. For your requirements I think the Giottos or Benro would work best. Of coarse if you like your Manfrotto so well you could get one off ebay. I bet there are ones that were hardly used selling for a great price.

Do you have a model number? Slik made lots of different sticks.

6. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    All these are good. I'd lean toward the 4-section models. Loosening 4 lock rings at once w/ one hand will be easier than 5.

7. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    In the old days, if one wanted the "best" tripod, it was simple: Gitzo. These days, it would appear that any of the brands and models you referenced are going to be fairly competitive given their similar price point and feature sets.

Frankly, with the technological improvements made to digital sensors and their ability to resolve in lower light levels -- AND perhaps the most important bit of technology of late: image stabilization, and I personally find myself rarely if ever needing the use of a tripod! That said, i do actually own 5 tripods!

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I love my TravelAngel.

I will say if you're purchasing this as an actual travel tripod, go for the carbon fiber versions. That 1/2 - 1 lb saved really adds up when you're shlepping it all over the world.

9. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I've been looking at this Jusino 255C.

Jusino 255C

10. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Doesn't quite meet the brief - ".... and it at least goes to 60" with center column out. "

Although I guess it depends how important 2" is to you !! :eek:

11. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    You mention the Benro backpacker but your link is for the Roadtrip. I only mention this because they are very different, notably the backpacker does not switch to monopod, not to mention difference in capacity.

I recently spent a LOT of time researching and finally settled on the Benro Roadtrip. I could not be happier. It is very solid; Omd with 75-300 comes nowhere close to the 17 lb capacity. And it sets up very easily.

One thing I noticed while researching these is that they all seem to have the exact same design. What I also noticed was that some of them use plastic as the pivot joint and that was not acceptable to me. I can confirm the Roadtrip is aluminium at the critical pivot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I don't use it a ton, but taking several second exposures of waterfalls is difficult with out a tripod. The also double duty to hold binos too.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm looking at the road trip. Which pivot point? At the legs?. That's good to know because I wouldn't want plastic there either.

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I day hike wth mine mostly. I've thought about it, but there doesn't seem to be a huge weight savings in the smaller tripod.

I did find a set of cf legs on sale that are similar in design to these and I could put a head of my choosing and be cheaper than the cf versions of the tripods I mentioned.

Which travel angel do you have? They have several. Thank you for the input. Lots of people seem to like them.

15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm not sure the conversion to U.S. dollars works. Also, I think the specs are for tripod only. Thank for the suggestion.

16. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Convert to USD by dividing by 3.05. It's about $200. Includes tripod and ball head and its carbon fibre. Some othe members on this forum have this tripod.

17. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I recently bought the carbon fiber version of that Oben, after checking out a bunch of them at B&h. It seems pretty solid though I don't have much of a reference point having not owned any in the past.
    It is a B&h house brand tripod. I would think they did their homework on it.

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Mine is the C069 M8, it doesn't convert to monopod. I think it is discontinued. It's folded length is shorter than the ones I see now.

19. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    A 970G-QL. If you can find one, go for it. fantastic peice of tripod kit. especially for m4/3... weighs in at 2lb, and locks tight, max height 4 feet or so. folded up and ready to roll it sits at my knees.

20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    4' is much less than the OP requires at 60" (5').

IMHO, 4' is worthless. Either get a tabletop model that will be much shorter folded, or a "full size" model that is maybe 1" longer folded.