1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Yellowstone Wildlife with the Pana-Leica 100-400

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Mountain, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    In May we took a family trip to Yellowstone N.P. I had been searching for a second M4/3 body to complement my GX-1 for the trip, to be able to have body with my P100-300 and a second with a wide angle. Just before leaving I found a local seller who decided that he wasn't ready to give up his full frame just yet, and wanted to offload his brand new GX-8 and PL 100-400. I had been hoping to buy a better wide angle lens, but the deal was too good to pass up, so I ended up using the 100-400 for my wildlife viewing in the national park, and leaving the trusty 100-300 at home. Wildlife watching with an infant proved to be pretty hard, since she likes to sleep when animals are out and about, but I did manage to find a few creatures between our visits to the thermal features. I had posted a couple of them in the share birds thread, but thought that I might as well start a new thread for the animals I was able to capture with this fantastic new lens. Enjoy.

Some of the always popular Bison:

Bison family and nursing calf:
    Bison Family.
    Bison in the Hayden Valley
    Hayden Valley.
    Bison grazing:
    Bison Face.

Unlucky bison Bison Skull.

Some other big mammals:

Regal looking bull Elk:
    Elk.

Big horned sheep:
    Big Horn Sheep.

Black Bear and Cub:
    Black Bear and Cub.

Here is an example of the reach of the lens. This Grizzly was foraging for food on a far away hilltop, so I had to crop slightly, even all the way zoomed. This was right at nightfall, so there's some noise, but I was impressed that I got anything at all:

Grizzly.

Same story with the wolves, except add pouring rain to the mix (thanks weathersealing), and a heavier crop. They were waaaaay out there, had to find them on my cheapo spotting scope to compose.:

Wolves.

I startled some Pronghorn on a morning hike:
    Pronghorn.

I also saw a bunch of birds (these I had put in the share birds thread, sorry for the repost)

Some Trumpeter Swans. This is what you get when a wannabe landscape guy takes bird photos.
    swans-.130268.

An Osprey looking for a meal near the Firehole River
    osprey-.130266.

Another one flying nearby. I saw a nest as well, but with snow and distance the photos weren't very good
    osprey-in-flight-.130265.

Raven near the park entrance was busy creeping everyone out
    raven-.130267.
    Bluebird and Woodpecker near mammoth (I was looking for a Moose, but had to settle for some birds and pronghorn):
    bluebird-.130263.
    wood-pecker-.130269.

Great Blue Heron Nests near the Dragon's Mouth thermal area
    great-blue-heron-.130264.

• Like Like x 18
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    There were also a bunch of rodents about:

Yellow Bellied Marmot:
    Yellow Bellied Marmot.

Beavers:
    Beaver Swimming. Beaver.

Chipmunks and Squirrels everywhere:
    Chipmunk.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 23
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    What a place!! Thanks for sharing with us

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. robzr

robzr Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Wow, you had some great sightings, and took some beautiful shots. That place is amazing. I went there a few years ago but the longest lense I had was my 14-140... I missed a ton of stuff :( If I ever go back I'm gonna be really tempted to grab that 100-400.

Thanks for sharing!

Rob

5. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I don't know how they select the page you get when you open this site,but what we had for the last week was getting so cold and analytical,not that it wasn't good for a few views. But I feel like I have risen from the dead seeing your pictures. Excellent!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  7. TaoStory

TaoStory Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    Tom Remisoski
    Some Trumpeter Swans. This is what you get when a wannabe landscape guy takes bird photos.
    swans-.130268.

I love this shot! :)

8. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Fantastic pics!