Yellowstone in winter?

Been thinking about this trip for last 3 years now but never came to fruition. Anyone here been there in December and can give me any information? Pointers on snowcoach and snowmobile tours that run from Gardiner and Jackson hole are very welcome too. Also, since this is photography forum, what can we expect to see and photograph? And what gear do you suggest?

afg08

Mu-43 Regular
my wife and I used to go to Yellowstone in late February or early March. We still feel winter is the most interesting time to see the Park. We left out of West Yellowstone, renting snowmobiles for the day although snowcoaches are another option. Snowmobiles are more fun though and give you more flexibility. Firehole Canyon is not to be missed. Old Faithful and other nearby areas are beautiful in winter. Lots of bison are often just off the road or on the boardwalks at scenic areas-they have the right of way! If I were to go today to those areas, I would not take a long zoom. An Olympus 12-40 or Panasonic 12-60 would likely be enough.

Good information! Any chance of seeing wolves and other wildlife (apart from Bisons)?
Edit: I have seen wolves in the area but seeing them in the snow would be something new. I would be carrying a superzoom this time.

Last edited:

afg08

Mu-43 Regular
Never have seen a wolf nor a bear although once we were at the Yellowstone falls and the rangers had closed a trail because of a sighting. Elk can usually be seen in late afternoon when they come off the mountains to feed in the meadows. So many great sights to see there. We’ve been there both in the winter and summer and winter is our favorite although you have to watch the weather. Good luck and enjoy your trip. If I can help further, let me know.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom