1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Yellowstone and a thank you (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by DefectiveMonk, Sep 18, 2018.

1. DefectiveMonk

DefectiveMonk Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio, US
    Mark
    Before I left for this family vacation (not photo-centric trip) I asked about taking a long lens and the opinion was split. I ended up renting the Panasonic 100-400mm and am VERY glad I did. I wish I'd found a way to take an UWA as well but made do with stitched panos.

I hesitate to post these since I see all the amazing photo threads on the front page but I'm proud of these images. None of them is perfect and all of them have something I'd do different if I had the chance again but they are all a HUGE improvement over anything I'd have taken last year. Which leads me to the thank you.

Over the last 9 months Micro Four Thirds and this forum have made me a better photographer in every way. Between shooting frequently again (because of the size of the camera) and the amount of incredible knowledge that is shared on this forum I've made what I would have said were impossible strides. So thank you all for the knowledge and guidance you share in a friendly, supporting forum. And now to the photos
    29824601907_577433aa14_k.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    YellowstoneBetter-1 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
    42951377290_1e4665813a_k.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-2 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
    29824598027_4c36bf0ab7_k.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-3 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
    42951369600_0c715e3c7c_k.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-4 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
    29824594257_125074df40_k.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-5 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
    44042730074_b0d8a94a5c_k.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-6 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

I thought this was the most accommodating pronghorn ever as it just stood still as a statue for about a minute while I took this shot. Easiest wildlife picture ever. Until I got home and loaded the image into Lightroom and saw the huge stream of urine that has since been cloned out.

30890831308_34c8280872_k.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-7 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

The people who made this trip possible and put up with my photography while there.

30890829418_89ce4abe06_k.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-8 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

30890827868_e23806d052_k.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-9 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
    30890825588_a88247d8d7_k.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-10 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
    30890824338_4b6d331612_z.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-11 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
    30890822938_fd1f2ff67c_k.jpg
    YellowstoneBetter-12 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

• Like Like x 37
    • Winner Winner x 11
  2. sbm

sbm Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Texas
    Sam
    All of these are good, but I’m a complete sucker for the beautiful light you captured in the third and fourth ones.
    I’ve been looking at getting something longer than my 45-150mm, but haven’t pulled the trigger. The ones you shot at 400mm show me why I ought to snag one when possible. But the splendor of these two you shot at much wider angles tells me I’ll be just fine until then.

3. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Nice pics!

4. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2016
    Pacific NW
    Very nice, Yellowstone offers so much diversity in subjects...from amazing unique geological phenomena, wondrous vistas, to a selection of flora and fauna that is hard to find anywhere else. Glad you had a great trip.

I would put the urine stream back on the pronghorn...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Will Focus

Will Focus Mu-43 All-Pro

Looking at these large on your flicker links to them add a whole new wonderful dimension, especially that waterfall shot. If it were me, and good gosh thank dog it's not, I might think about cropping that one a litter tighter. Not much. Maybe equally around the perimeter until the branch at the top right disappears. All great shots ! Someday, someway I'll get out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DefectiveMonk

Jan 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio, US
    Mark
    Proof that even a boiling mud puddle can look good if you give it the right light :biggrin:

Can't tell if you're serious or not. If you are, what's the rationale?

I really wanted this one wide but, now that you say it, that tree branch is distracting. Maybe I'll 'shop it out instead of cropping.

7. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Nice set and thanks for sharing. Glad this was put On the front page, as I missed it the first time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Magua

Magua Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2018
    Natchez Trace
    Great shots, thanks for sharing. The bison is my favorite.:cool: 

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AaronE

AaronE Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2013
    Idaho
    Great images. The non-photographers always need a thank you.

10. DefectiveMonk

Jan 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio, US
    Mark
    Hahaha. This hitting the front page was super unexpected since it was from September. I took a screenshot because it's totally out of the blue and I feel honored.

The sentiments expressed above still stand. I appreciate Micro Four Thirds and this site more every day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.