....yea, its like that.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by downy_ball, Mar 14, 2012.

1. downy_ball

downy_ball Mu-43 Regular

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with this particular situation. You know - a double major (art/art history) at a nice U.C., a couple of careers, some life-altering coincidences, and then 'poof', some settling.
    Then one day you put a nice looking m4/3rds (Oly E-PL1) in your cart or watch list, spend a few more years watching the price spiral downwards, and then.... yea, it's like that.
    The learning curve on this camera has me totally jazzed. It's like taking photo 1A all over again, only I already know all the answers - I just forgot the questions.

Speaking of questions :wink:

I have 2 Nikkor lenses (50mm 1:1.8 / 10.5cm 1:2.5) and I believe there's an adaptor for these ??
    Does anyone have experience/samples with a Pinwide pinhole lens ??
    Will the VF-2 electronic viewfinder adversely affect battery life?

Thanks everyone, and I hope to have some photos up soon :2thumbs:
  2. downy_ball

downy_ball Mu-43 Regular

"Hey! Welcome to the site! I'm sure there's some cool folks on this site who will send a warm 'welcome' soon!
    Yea, thanks....
    Have fun and post up some pics soon - you've chose a great camera!
    Um, sure, ok....

3. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    :biggrin: Hi, yes welcome - and yes you chose a good camera as a low cost entry to m43 (I have the same one). Don't worry this is a friendly and helpful place, I just think your message may have got a bit lost rather than ignored on purpose (I have only just noticed it this minute while browsing the new posts in the side bar).

I cannot help much with the questions as I don't know the answers either - but yes you can get adapters (from ebay etc) for the Nikon lenses. Are they manual focus or auto focus? Not sure about AF but manual focus Nikon lenses (eg: AI) lenses will work just fine, adjusting the aperture via the lens and manually focusing using the magnify feature.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There are many adapters available. If you have old Nikkor F lenses with an aperture ring, then you can use just about any old adapter. If you have G lenses with the electronic aperture, then you will need an adapter with an aperture ring such as the blue-ringed adapters from Novoflex.

Yes, the VF-2 will adversely affect battery life, but it's not that big a deal. You will eat up your batteries a little faster, but you should still get good battery life out of the camera. I often shoot continuously all day before my battery runs out. Always carry a spare, so that when you battery runs out you can just swap it out with a fresh one and put the other in the charger...
  5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Also, batteries are cheap

To add to Ned's post: aftermarket batteries for the PENs are really cheap--can be found on eBay for about $5 each. They may not have quite the capacity of the originals, but they're close. I know because I own about 6 of them.
  6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    What mounts are your Nikon lenses? Are they standard F mount from an old SLR like a Nikkormat, FE2, etc? If so, then any Nikon to micro 4/3 adapter will work. I'd recommend a Kipon or RJ adapter, as they're cheaper than the all-out best ones, but still made decently well. It sounds like they're rangefinder lenses from the S1 or S2 though, so someone else may have to chime in. I see adapters on ebay for $30 or so.

And yes, of course the VF-2, which is an auxiliary electronic device which runs off of the camera's power, will drain the battery. Get yourself a second battery.
  7. downy_ball

downy_ball Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Ned Mellow and shnitz!
    I was just being funny before - just wondering if anyone was paying attention :rolleyes:
    Yes, the Nikkor lenses are the F mount, so I'll just hunt around eBay?Amazon for the right one, although from what people are saying the native lenses will outperform these - I'll have to check it out for myself.
    I already have one spare battery, but more are probably in my future.
    If, I was to only buy one more lens for my camera, (poor school teacher) and most of my work was small landscape areas (back yards, empty lots, small architecture) what might I consider?
    And thanks again everyone :smile:
  8. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Sounds like you want something wide. The oly 9-18 or panny 7-14 will give you a lot of flexibility, but the oly 12 or panny 20 would give better low light performance/dof control. If it's not too long for what you do, it's hard to beat the panny 20/1.7 as an all-around go-to lens.
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group/cult and congratulations on the E-PL1!

I love the small landscape stuff you mentioned, and assuming you would like a native lens, I would suggest the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 (28mm equiv.). It is the smallest lens in m4/3, but it is pretty sharp and focus is quick and quiet. Also, you can find these used or new (person selling from the Panasonic kit they bought) in the $150-200 range.
  10. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I would get a pancake, either 14 2.5 or the 20 1.7 for a native lens.

I have a EPL1, 20 1.7 and VF3. I bought the VF3 over the VF2 because of the locking mechanism, also silver on the VF3 matches the Silver on PL1 if you care about those sorts of things.
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Probably your best, affordable adapters to get in California (or anywhere in the US) would be from Fotodiox and Rainbow Imaging who sell on both eBay and Amazon. I've only used their eBay stores because for some reason their Amazon stores won't ship to Canada... but either should be fine for you.

Which lenses exactly do you have? Many old Nikkor lenses can hold up well against modern lenses, especially prime lenses. The native lenses probably will out-perform them all, but there are not yet native lenses for all lens types made as the system is only 3 years old. For instance, you can't get telephotos yet beyond 45mm (or 100mm by the end of this year). For that, legacy lenses will fill the gap... but I suggest sticking to primes if possible because they have always been sharp, high performing lenses whereas zoom lenses were only able to compete in the modern era.

*EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice you had stated what lenses you have in your original post! Shnitz covered these lenses well so I won't say much more about them. Definitely good lenses to have. The 50mm won't be as perfect as the native m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, but is close enough to make the native lens a redundant purchase since you already have the Nikkor. The 105mm f/2.5 is a prime focal length you can't yet find in Micro Four-Thirds, besides just being a great lens altogether.

PS, the newer G lenses from Nikon are also F-mount but are electronic with no physical aperture ring on the lens. They will fit with the same adapter, but with lesser function. If you get the adapter with the aperture ring, that adapter will also work on your old Nikkor lenses as well as the new. Nikon has not changed the physical proportions of their mount at all, just its lens communications.

There are some nice wide angle lenses for the system like the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2, the Lumix 7-14mm f/4, the m.Zuiko 9-18mm f/3.5-5.6, or the Lumix 14mm f/2.5. The last two are the cheapest. ;)
  12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    While the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 isn't the most wonderful lens, you'll have a hard time doing better for the money. The bokeh isn't wonderful, but it's sharp and fast. Which version do you have? Series E, Ai, etc. Describe the actual markings and the lens. Also, does it have the little rabbit ears on the side, and do the ears have holes in them? And the 105mm f/2.5 is a legendary lens; people are still using it on their pro Nikon cameras today with amazing results. However, if it's marked as 10.5cm instead of 105mm, it could be an older collectible edition, and you'd do better by keeping it on display or selling it to a collector:
    Nikon F TICK Mark Lenses
    This ebay listing has a pretty solid history about the 105mm lens:
    NIKON 105mm(10.5cm) F2.5 NIKKOR Ver. 2 ORIGINAL NON-AI | eBay

Do you still have a Nikon camera? Are they your lenses or a family member's? If I were in your position, and I had a rare 105mm, I'd sell it for the money, and buy an identically-performing non-collectible version in excellent shape, pocketing a large chunk of change. Maybe even enough to buy yourself whatever fun lens you've been lusting after, like the 20mm f1.7.
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I think you would enjoy the 14mm, it's super sharp, tiny and a fast focus. If your still in your old film mode remember there is a 2x FOV conversion factor between ยต4/3 and 35mm film. So, the 14mm = 28mm in 35mm film parley.

Welcome to the group. What is the New Kalifornia Republic? Are we still part of Amerika? I sorta long for the ol' Bear Republic days.

14. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I would think the power saved by not back-lighting the camera's large LCD would more than compensate for the power used lighting the little LCD inside the VF-2. Or does the camera LCD stay on when you use the VF-2? (on Panny cameras it's one or the other)

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The LCD does turn off when using the EVF, but the reason the EVF draws more power is because it's much higher resolution than the LCD. Of course, as a result the view you get out of it is much more clear and detailed. ;)
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Sorta makes you long for the good ol; days of a mirror and optical VF, lol.

17. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The battery life performance hit has been well established by many users with a lot of field experience and reporting. The idea that the VF-2 would help battery life is a common misconception that gets cleared up often.
  18. downy_ball

downy_ball Mu-43 Regular

It is marked 10.5cm! I was a photo/art major way back when and those two lenses (the 50 and the 10.5) were my workhorses through a lot of great work. Especially the 10.5 - a great portrait lens among other things. The body was just an FM body, not one of the more fancy models - but it gave wonderful results and was as sturdy as can be. I will def. look into selling as I just don't see myself using them as I did before (or collecting).
    Thanks for the great info!
  19. downy_ball

downy_ball Mu-43 Regular

I will have to check when I get home - at work now and will have to wait until later to check - I'll def. get back to you and let you know.
  20. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    The eBay auction mentioned above is not the rare Tick mark version.

It's just a lens in real nice shape. You can tell because the serial number starts with a 13xxxx . 10.5 lenses aren't that valuable, there is one on eBay buy it now for 70 dollars.

Modern Nikon digital cameras can't mount it without modification, so it's value is only to old film users, mirrorless adapted users and collectors.