Yay - Just made my 1st 4/3 purchase....erm what next!

Gyles

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
Hi Guys,

Right I've finally taken the plunge into 4/3rds. I was looking to spend in the region of £600 on a GX1 with 14-42mm X vario. Although it was not a lens I really wanted it appeared to offer the best value. However after some consideration and due to my lack of photography experience I thought I would start with something a little more modest. I read it often "Invest in lenses rather than the body as the tech in the body soon dates". Also the GX1 would be far beyond my capabilities at this point. So I just picked up a very nice little used set up for less £100 less than my original budget.

This is what I got....

Panasonic GF1 body (excellent condition with box, manuals, charger, cables, receipts)

Panasonic 20mm F1.7 ASPH (1 month old, almost new condition, in box with all caps, covers, manuals, HOYA UV filter, receipts)

Panasonic 14-45mm kit lens (excellent condition with box (as part of kit), manual, back cap, soft case and Hakuba UV filter and receipt)

Intervalometer for Panasonic GF1

Pixco Konica-Minolta to m4/3 adaptor (all metal)

Konica Minolta 28mm f3.5 for use with adaptor (excellent condition, all caps, hard case)

Konica Minolta 40mm f1.8 for use with adaptor (excellent condition, all caps)

Generic "Gorillapod" type mini-tripod.

This got me the 2 Panny lenses I really wanted, I'm guessing the 40mm f1.8 should be good for portraits, not sure about the 28mm F3.5 anyone had any experience with these lenses. Also the intervalometer, doubt I'll use that much if at all. Might sell this and the 28mm and buy a used LVF and or Konica Hexanon 55mm f3.5 SLR macro+1:1 (0r other macro recommendations please, but I have to Konica adaptor)

My plan is to learn by trial and error and this kit should,I'm hoping serve me quite well. I can always pick up a GX1 in a year once the price comes down. I'll have a great oppertunity to test out my kit in Cuba in a couple on months. I'll be trying street, landscape, portrait and nature.

Any suggestions would be great either on a macro lens, learning or anything would be most welcome.

Cheers Guys.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Welcome here.

I think those are worth it, you've made a good start. Looking forward especially to seeing the 40 1.8 photos.

Gyles said:
Hi Guys,

Right I've finally taken the plunge into 4/3rds. I was looking to spend in the region of £600 on a GX1 with 14-42mm X vario. Although it was not a lens I really wanted it appeared to offer the best value. However after some consideration and due to my lack of photography experience I thought I would start with something a little more modest. I read it often "Invest in lenses rather than the body as the tech in the body soon dates". Also the GX1 would be far beyond my capabilities at this point. So I just picked up a very nice little used set up for less £100 less than my original budget.

This is what I got....

Panasonic GF1 body (excellent condition with box, manuals, charger, cables, receipts)

Panasonic 20mm F1.7 ASPH (1 month old, almost new condition, in box with all caps, covers, manuals, HOYA UV filter, receipts)

Panasonic 14-45mm kit lens (excellent condition with box (as part of kit), manual, back cap, soft case and Hakuba UV filter and receipt)

Intervalometer for Panasonic GF1

Konica Minolta 28mm f3.5 for use with adaptor (excellent condition, all caps, hard case)

Generic "Gorillapod" type mini-tripod.

This got me the 2 Panny lenses I really wanted, I'm guessing the 40mm f1.8 should be good for portraits, not sure about the 28mm F3.5 anyone had any experience with these lenses. Also the intervalometer, doubt I'll use that much if at all. Might sell this and the 28mm and buy a used LVF and or Konica Hexanon 55mm f3.5 SLR macro+1:1 (0r other macro recommendations please, but I have to Konica adaptor)

My plan is to learn by trial and error and this kit should,I'm hoping serve me quite well. I can always pick up a GX1 in a year once the price comes down. I'll have a great oppertunity to test out my kit in Cuba in a couple on months. I'll be trying street, landscape, portrait and nature.

Any suggestions would be great either on a macro lens, learning or anything would be most welcome.

Cheers Guys.

Panasonic gf3 lumix14 2.5 Olympus14-42 3.5-5.6
Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Mu-43 App

shnitz

Mu-43 All-Pro
The 28mm is a slightly-longer-than-normal. I'm sure you could find a use for it, but I find the 24mm to be a better fit for me. Any of the Konica mount macro lenses will be great. Even the ones from Vivitar, Tokina, or Tamron work wonderfully. Other than that, sounds like you have a full setup, so get out and start shooting!

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad

Are you aware that the 28/3.5 may need a different adapter than the 40/1.8? Depends on what you bought, but in the manual focus era Konica and Minolta were two different brands with each their own proprietary mount. Only Konica made a 40/1.8; check the 28/3.5, if it says Minolta on the front ring you'll need two different adapters for these lenses.

Concerning experience with the legacy lenses I can only say that the Minolta 28/3.5 are competent performers, you won't be disappointed. Good luck and have fun, looks like a great set!

Gyles

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. All arrived this morning is excellent condition.

Just to be clear as all I did was cut & paste the ad, the lenses I have

20mm and 14-45mm panny's

The other two are

Konica Hexanon AR 40mm F1.8 - 22 serial 7193670 55mm filter

Konica Hexanon AR 28mm F3.5 - 22 serial 6820124 55mm filter

Both are all black except for the very front edge of the filter thread, which is silver.

Anyone identify these? Are they any good.

Thanks.

Gyles

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
A quick bit of research reveals the 40mm is a great lens, apparently. The 28mm not too shabby either. As I said I don't know what I would use this for. I might pop it up for sale and put the cash towards a macro.

The intervalometer is a JJC TM series.........no instructions....oh no? Should be something online, somewhere......

Edit, instructions found and downloaded.

shnitz

Mu-43 All-Pro
The 28mm and 40mm are used for whatever you want to use them for! Here's the sample image archive for the 28mm:
https://www.mu-43.com/f81/konica-28mm-f-3-5-hexanon-ar-image-thread-3678/
For the 40mm:
https://www.mu-43.com/f81/konica-40mm-f-1-8-hexanon-ar-image-thread-1822/

If you want some more ideas, just look in the sample image archive to see what other types of subjects people are shooting with 28mm lenses, such as the Nikon, Canon, Minolta, etc. Overall really, the sky's the limit, you just have to decide whether you like the field of view.
Adapted Lens Sample Image Archive - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
What next? Shoot the crap out of your equipment. Shoot in manual (you'll learn the most that way). Buy a beginners book and go through the chapters, shoot every chapter. Join a photo group and shoot with them. The more you shoot the better you will become. Shoot everyday and when you're all done shooting, shoot some more.

Gary

PS- For starters, shoot one week with only one lens. Next week shoot much of the same with a different lens.
G

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. All arrived this morning is excellent condition.

Just to be clear as all I did was cut & paste the ad, the lenses I have

20mm and 14-45mm panny's

The other two are

Konica Hexanon AR 40mm F1.8 - 22 serial 7193670 55mm filter

Konica Hexanon AR 28mm F3.5 - 22 serial 6820124 55mm filter

Both are all black except for the very front edge of the filter thread, which is silver.

Anyone identify these? Are they any good.

Thanks.

Those are all great lenses! The Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake is one of the most popular Micro Four-Thirds lenses. Sharp, fast, and very small. The Lumix 14-45mm is the sharpest of the kit zooms (which isn't saying all that much, by the way - I would stick with your 3 great primes instead). The Konica Hexanons were considered some of the sharpest lenses made for 35mm film. The Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 "pancake" is very popular.

Gyles

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nice to know I've spent my pennies wisely. Sold lots of old stuff on eBay. Case and card ordered, so I'll be out and about by the weekend.

I wanted the 14-45mm kit lens as I intend to do some landscapes and from what I've read the IQ at 14mm is better than the 14mm prime. I do however hear great things about the 7-14mm.....better start saving.

Also my wife will be wanting to use this and so the 20mm and 14-45mm would make for decent holiday point and shoot modes. Neither too bulky with the 20mm being ideal for cities and evenings.

Latest threads

Top Bottom