Yay for hand-me-downs! Super Albinar.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by acercanto, Jun 17, 2011.

1. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    So I told my parents that I got a camera the could use old lenses (GF1), and my Dad went upstairs and got a couple of old lenses they didn't use anymore, so now I'm the new owner of a Super Albinar MC Auto Zoom 80-200 f4.5, with a 2x teleconverter, and a Super Albinar Auto 28mm f2.8. Both are Pentax K-mount.
    My question is: I was looking through the zoom with my flashlight, and one of the inner elements is extremely obscured. Is this what fungus looks like?
    Otherwise, the zoom appears to be in pristine condition. The slide out hood is still nice and stiff, nothing wrong with the aperture blades, focus/zoom/aperture rings nicely dampened and smooth.
    Is it possible to take it apart and clean it without ruining it, or should I take it to a camera shop? I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The lens has really no value, clean or dirty. I would say have fun and open it up and see if you can clean it. Lenses cleaner can get rid of mold.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Mold looks like tendrils or tree twigs spreading in random threads across the glass.
    your picture looks like two sets of lines ... dunno what that is at all.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    Thanks Hikari and Ulfric.
    I noticed the sets of lines too, and was thinking that maybe if there was some sort of residue on the lens, then it might influence the fungi's growth, as I have seen a few pictures of mold and this wasn't quite the same.
    Why is this a bad lens, Hikari? Does it have bad IQ, or is it just the weight (the thing weighs 1 pound 13 ounces!)?

5. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    MosT old zooms are pretty bad. There are some exceptions, but even the good old zooms are nothing like a modern zoom. I have the Vivitar series 1 70-210 f/3.5, which is considered one of the best of the Pre 1985 zoom lenses, and while decent, it's thoroughly outclassed by my Oly 40-150.
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    This could also be separation of cemented lens elements. If so, there's not a lot you can do about it.