1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Yasuhara Nanoha Macro Lens 5:1 for Micro 4/3 Mount Cameras

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by slothead, Sep 15, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Has anyone used this lens? My biggest question is: Since the focus distance is only ~ 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch (I'm assuming that this means in front of the front face of the lens body), how wide is the field of view at that distance?

The USB cable used to power the lighting LEDs looks like it would be annoying, but you're not going to be shooting with this lens "off the cuff" anyway.

2. pholcid

pholcid New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    I have it but haven't had much time to play with it yet. Since it uses a microscope objective it's unlikely to be super sharp, but I figured it would still be educational to practice with. The first lesson was that there's no way I can hand hold it even braced, but I expected that. People with steadier hands might do well enough--there are people who can routinely hand hold the canon 65mm at 5x. When the dark and rain returns, I want to set up a lens or tripod mountable micro studio that allows for focus stacking. hopefully something that can be easily carried to a park, which my stereoscope can't.

Mechanically the biggest annoyance is that the led illuminator is screwed on, the screws aren't captive, and they're really tiny (a matching screwdriver is included). A bayonet mount would have been far handier. Other than that the LEDs work ok, but a better lighting system is probably in order.

Field of view: sensor size is 18 x 13.5 mm, and the lens is nominally 5x, so fov is about 3.6 x 2.7 mm.

3. Arachnarchy

Arachnarchy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2015
    I had a chance to put this lens through its paces for a week. It really is more of a microscope than a macro lens, and I see only very limited use cases. The extremely short focusing distance makes it next to impossible to use for bug macro shots, but there are some situations where it might be useful. Video review here:

P1170309-4608x3456.

• Like Like x 2