Showcase Yashinon DX 45mm f/1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by chicks, Mar 7, 2012.

1. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    In the process of adapting this great looking lens from a Yashica Electro rangefinder thrift store find. Using a C-mount adapter, with the inside rings from an M42 adapter as a spacer, currently hand-held in place. Working OK, but focus to infinity is going to require some metal grinding, I'm afraid.

[​IMG]

2. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Considerable progress on getting this mounted. Seems quite soft at f1.7, sharpens up pretty well by f4.

[​IMG]

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks like a usable lens in terms of sharpness but the white balance seems to be off - or is this yellowing of the lens? Lens might like a few days of UV light.

4. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    White balance is off - a mix of incandecent and flourescent lighting in the room and the photographer's noobiness to terms like "white balance". ;)

Here's one in natural lighting @f4. Wide open is really quite soft.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    Wow, this can be done? I left my SLRs at home for 2 years to flirt with rangefinders. None of my SLR lenses could top my Yashinon 45/1.7 (6 elements, 4 groups) for edge-to-edge sharpness and beautiful color rendering.

6. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Here's more info on this, including a link to a Flickr set with lots of photos of the process. I personally only got about halfway. ;-)

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=5802

I just ordered a Yashinon DX 50mm f/1.7 M42 lens on EBay for pretty cheap, am hoping it renders similarly to the Yashinon 45mm f/1.7 on the Electro rangefinder.