Yashica FX3 Aperture question?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by SteveNunez, Aug 26, 2015.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hey guys, my daughter is taking a b/w film class with traditional film SLR's (she has an OMD EM10 but isn;t an advanced shooter.) I found a rather mint Yashica FX3 Super with 50mm f1.9 lens and flash and purchased it. Everything appears nearly mint which is remarkable for a 30 years old camera......

....my question is, when the lens is unmounted I can change the aperture via the aperture ring as it should be, but every time I mount the lens on the camera it opens to wide open and I cannot close down the aperture.......is this normal? If so- how does the internal light meter operate with the lens in the wide open position?

If I slightly dismount the lens but leave it on the camera I can adjust the aperture and it stays at the setting -which feels right to me but as stated earlier if I try to lock the lens in place it again opens to full open- what do you guys think?

I should state that when the shutter is depressed the lens does in-fact stop down to whatever aperture I've set the lens to but how does one meter for correct exposure if the lens stays wide open?

Thanks guys- really lost on this old film camera!
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. IMG_1529.JPG

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    When the lens is mounted it should be wide open. Turning the aperture ring actuates an indexing system that tells the light meter what aperture is set. when the shutter is fired the aperture will close down for the exposure, then re-open. This keeps the viewfinder bright at all times.

Fred

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Wow- you're correct- thanks so much!!!!

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just want to add that the Yashica ML 50mm f1.9 (And it's brother the F2.0) are outstanding lenses. It was probably my favorite manual 50mm I tried on my Canon DSLR. You should consider getting a C/Y adapter so you can try it out on your E-M10, too.

5. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Thank you- ordered via eBay....I'm a big fan of adapted lenses and have quite a few but was missing the C/Y adapter- thanks again for the reply- much appreciated!