Showcase Yashica 50mm F2

NVar

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi all,

Thanks for introducing me to this lens (first post on this forum). I've wanted to add a manual legacy lens to my m4/3 system and read about the easy focusing of the Yashica ML 50/2, then bought one off eBay.

I'm not very familiar with using manual lenses on m4/3, so a couple of (hopefully not too obvious) questions:

- The pics turn out darker than the live view on my camera suggests when taking the picture. Can I do something about this in the camera settings, so that the live view matches the result better? (GF1, Aperture priority)
- I haven't noticed the mentioned "peaking" yet when focusing - is this supposed to occur in any circumstance or just with certain settings?

Otherwise I'm liking the lens and it gives a different feel than the m4/3 glass. It's also fun to use manual focus for a change.

Thanks for any advice,
Niklas

DekHog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Glad you like it....

Are you using the camera in 'A' mode when using the lens? Setting the aperture on the lens and letting the camera decide the shutter speed to give correct exposure, or doing it some other way?

I've only noticed the peaking (shimmering edges) in bright light - I actually noticed it again today while using the lens in bright sunlight, but it's not a given that you'll notice it in any particular situation. I certainly don't depend on it.

NVar

Mu-43 Rookie
Yes, using "A" mode and setting aperture on the lens, then the camera sets the shutter speed.

I'm also not too worried about the peaking or lack of it, but the mismatch between live view and the final pic is a bit of a nuisance.

Cheers,
Niklas

DekHog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've never had this problem with any manual focus lens, not that I've had many, but there was a thread a short while ago regarding the same underexposure problem that you have.... needless to say I can't find it now!

All you can really do is dial in + exposure compensation when using the lens; obviously much easier if it's consistently giving the same amount of underexposure, although I'm not sure why it would underexpose.

I've never owned a Panny camera body, so don't know anything about them, but on the Olympus I'd turn off 'Live View Boost' to make the camera show exactly what I was going to get; this would then show any under/overexposure in real-time. Don't Panny bodies also have some 'shoot without lens' setting that you need to enable?

NVar

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks, I found one thread ("G3 underexposing with manual lenses in weak light"). It doesn't seem to be a specific manufacturer problem.

I tend to get underexposed pics with the lens stopped down a bit (5.6) in weak(ish) light indoors. Wide open or at 2.8 there's not much of a problem. Tried both A and P modes but it didn't show much difference. Overexposing a bit in M mode does help. The mentioned thread also suggested using histogram, but I haven't done that yet.

Anyway, it seems one can at least learn to work around the problem if it can't be solved permanently.

To answer you question: yes, with Panny you need to activate the "shoot w/o lens" option.

- Niklas

avidone

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I love my 50/1.4 Yashinon (m42 screw mount) as well-- and it is quite decent wide open, making it a good night shooter. I found it for 19euro at a thrift store!

michele coser

Mu-43 Rookie
A few days ago a fiend of mine got married and asked me if i can be his photographer. It surprised me because i'm a video/filmmaker and i usually take pictures for fun. Anyway i did, i used my G6, swapping all the lenses i got (Lumix 14-42; Lumix 14 f2.5; yashica 28-80; yashica 50mm f2; tamron adaptall 24mm f2.5). In the end it was a fun experience.

Here are some samples taken with the Yashica 50mm f2. I really like this lens.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
David Buckle
I picked this lens up a couple of weeks ago with a bag of Yashica camera stuff for $15. My adapter arrived today so this a test shot at f5.6 from my back door.
P324-1 by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Yashica 5002 by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Last edited:

halebalephoto

Mu-43 Regular

On a Olympus E-M10 with a cheap Roxsen focal reducer.

Phil.H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wide open on my EM-1 sooc

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom