1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Yashica 50mm F2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by DekHog, Aug 25, 2011.

1. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Does anyone else own or use this lens? I find it fantastic. It snaps into focus very easily and 'peaks' in bright light focussing. Here's a picture taken today at F2 - a bit noisy as I let the ISO do it's own thing due to low light indoors, but considering it's at ISO1250 not bad at all.

100% crop to show just how good it is; I think so anyway, it totally blows my ex-Minolta MD F1.7 away in every respect.

Sorry about the skin softening, but the girlies love it! :smile:

8ybxur.

504jmq.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Sorry if I'm intruding in your 50mm f2 thread. Its just that these Yashica lenses are legit!!

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Is it sharper than panny 20mm at f1.7?

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I've actually got both lenses but have never compared them, but I doubt it's as sharp as the Panny; just a far better focal length for people - will do something this weekend with both lenses if I get a chance and let you know.

6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    You're more than welcome in this thread - I never thought the post would get any replies TBH..... it would probably be better to bundle all the Yashica 50mm's in one thread anyway.... :smile:

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I've tried various rokkors and canon FD, they all were very soft until at least f2.8
    Seems like this yashica is quite usable wide open. Can't wait for Oly 45mm finally.

8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    My Minolta F1.7 was mush until F2.8, and not really that good until F4 - it was my first non-native lens and nearly put me off the idea of old manual focus lenses for good.... luckily I spent the whole of £15 on the Yash and am delighted. So much so I'm thinking of getting the 14mm F2.5 rather than the 45mm F1.8......

9. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    My Yash f1.7 is incredibly sharp wide open. I am suprised how sharp it is. I'll post some pictures soon.

10. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    I love my 1.9 and getting the 2 later this week as I've heard such good things about the 2

11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Yashica peoples.

So you guys have discovered Yashinon lenses, I had several Yashicas in the mid 70's, a really nice YashicaMat 124, and I liked my Yashica Electro 35 also. This is a pretty cool camera if you can get your hands on one.

The Yashies were always a good performer, they just sort of petered out against the competition for some reason.

Dekhog: I'd venture though that your copy of the Rokkor 50 / 1.7 wasn't a very good one. I had a few pretty capable, and sharp, copies of that lens and in fact recently sent one off to Icon in australia.

I'm glad you found a vintage fast 50 that makes you happy, I know you were getting a little frustrated with the Rokkor.

ps. your wife is a beautiful woman, but that may make me guilty of stating the obvious with an air of discovery...

Cheers, Alan

12. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    hi, is your yashica 50mm f2 an m42 screw mount?

13. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Alan, I think it was a bad copy as I've seen so many good things said about it - and it was frustrating in the extreme. I'm glad I tried something else before deciding that I'd only use native lenses.

Oh, and that's my sis-in-law - very much single and looking! :wink:

No, I wasn't even aware there was a screw mount - The actual model is classed as Contax/Yashica 50mm 1:2 - more commonly advertised on eBay as C/Y 50mm 1:2 or F2

14. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I tried them both at F2 today - bear in mind the Panny is near its optimum at this F-stop (this is its optimal F-stop according to dslrgear.com), and the old Yashica is wide open.

Both shot in RAW, into LR with LR defaults only, then exported as full-sized JPEG's - opened in CS5 to do the crops, but lifted the exposure 0.4EV on both of them as they were slightly dark.

Yes, the Panny wins, but all things considered (not least of all that it's not wide open), the Yashica appears to do incredibly well to my old eyes....

The full sized JPEG's can be downloaded here for anyone interested in edge sharpness or just wishing to have a closer look.

20mm @ F2
    2i74m1j.

50mm @ F2
    dg42h5.

20mm 100% Crop
    15rhyc8.
    50mm 100% Crop
    6f3yht.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Dekhog....

You've joined the pixel peepers...:eek:

16. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    No, no, someone asked (begged) me, honestly Mr Mod.... I don't do PP - was bored anyway.... :biggrin:

It was quite an interesting little exercise, but I should have done the Panny at F1.7 as well.... stupid me...

17. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Okay, you're excused. It was a pretty cool test idea. I like the comparo shots and have done plenty of them.

It's very helpful for folks looking to adapt legacy glass.

Cheers, Alan

18. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Gotta love the way the 20mm drags every last detail out of the red lettering though.... :biggrin:

19. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I've tested the 50mm f/2 against the Olympus 40-150mm--both versions (m43 and 43) at 50mm. The Yashica is definitely sharper at f/3.5, and is darn close wide open. It's a remarkable lens.

I bought it on a whim and was just blown away how good it was. In fact, after extensively testing it against my 50mm f/1.7 Zeiss I decided to sell the Zeiss . . . not because the Yashica was such a better value, but because it was a much better lens!

I'll post some pictures later this weekend.

20. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Another sample:

ISO 200 @ f/2 @ 1/15 second . . . thank goodness for IBIS:

downtown-2.

• Like Like x 3