1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Y-M-D reset on E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cookme, Nov 16, 2012.

1. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    I saw a "Y-M-D blah blah" orange message at bootup really briefly today when I turned on the camera, after being it storage for 2 weeks. I put the mostly-charged OEM battery in, turned it on to delete some old photos, and turned it off to swap the lens. I then saw the message when I turned the camera back on.

Since I was in a hurry I didn't have time to try reboots or battery swap, instead I just entered the Y-M-D info and went on. The funny thing was that only the Y-M-D info got removed, all other settings seemed to be exactly where I left them. It might have been caused by the lens-switching, somehow...

Has anyone ran into this little bug in the past? on different cameras? I would hate to miss the warning and end up with bunch photos timestamped at 1970-01-01 :rofl:

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sounds like a hardware defect. There's a small capacitor that powers the internal clock of the camera when the battery is removed. If it's not functioning right, your clock will reset any time the camera's battery is removed or goes flat.

This is a fairly common problem with the E-PM1, but I've heard of a few cases with the E-M5 as well.

3. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    argh. great. if this is not simply a one-time hiccup, I will have another reason to send the camera in... darn.