XZ-1 over EPM1??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shepx13, Nov 4, 2012.

1. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Am I crazy for considering picking up one of these XZ-1's at the recently-reduced prices instead of an EPM1 as a small option for when I don't want to take my OMD or GX1 (prolly going to ditch the GX1 anyways)?

Seems like a lot of camera for the money. Any m4/3 users here happy with the XZ-1?

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Its very good for what it is. An enthusiast compact with a bright lens and good controls. IQ will be better with the big sensor but if you don't print a lot maybe it doesn't matter. I use my xz1 mostly for social things like going to the bar. Most other times I use my m43 gear.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Mu-43 App

3. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Yea, that's kind of what my usage would be: social gatherings and those times when I really don't want to bring multiple lenses.

4. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Mine is in my pocket all the time when I am shooting, walking the dogs, fishing and any other time I don't take the e-m5.

I love it

5. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    From what I've seen over at DPReview, I'd prefer it even over the much more expensive Sony RX100.

Look at the Raw or Jpg image comparison tabs. The XZ-1 is significantly sharper than the RX100.

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

It's particularly obvious for the queen of heart card and the bottom right watch. To the point of wondering if DPReview screwed up or had a bad camera.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not so sure about that when comparing it to the E-PM1. In some situations, my XZ-1 does better than my GF2.

7. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    DPReview has been known to screw up. When they were comparing the TX cameras, the IQ should have been all the same. Yet there was significant variation.

8. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

One point to consider with the XZ-1 is that although the VF-2 viewfinder works, you can't adjust the brightness and temperature. I found the VF-2 image quite contrasty and unnatural when I tried the combination at a local camera store.

9. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike

I have both the RX100 and the XZ-1 right now...and I can tell you unequivocally that they both are cameras. Seriously though...the RX100 is better in IQ (color rendering and resolution) than the XZ-1...not close.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's definitely a nice small camera. Only you can decide if the IQ is good enough for your purposes (I didn't).

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you shoot in dust places, you may end up getting dust on your sensor, and the camera has to be send in to Olympus to be cleaned - you can't clean it yourself.

11. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Thanks for all of the input.

The VF is not an issue. If it was, I would use my OMD.

I wish my gx1 didn't suffer from shutter - shock with the 14 2.5 and had better awb indoors and with flash. If it did, I wouldn't be looking for anything else. (probably ;-)
    I can work-around it mostly, but if I hand it to my wife it will just frustrate her.

12. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Get the E-PM1.

It's really useful to have a camera that can use all your lenses as a backup body and allows you to shoot two primes at once without switching lenses. Huge benefit.

13. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Ok, after some more reflection, I've decided to forgo the xz1 idea. I don't think I'd be happy with the output, and those times I don't want to bring my OMD, I can live with a prime. (I have so far with the gx1).
    Although, I may end up with the epl3 instead of the epm1 if I can find a great deal on one. May even wait until black Friday to see what specials come out.

Thanks again for all the input.

14. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Double post

15. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I managed to adjust the VF2 setting on the xz1 when I had one (another one is arrriving today, so I'll try to get back on it.)

As for the OP's question: No you are not crazy. When I went to Asia, I sold my XZ-1 and got an E-PM1 for the important pictures I'd take. After getting the E-M5, I gave away my E-PM1 and kept the new camera and my E-P2 -- which I still like a lot. I want two m4/3 bodies, but also a miniature p&s.

I have a new XZ-1 coming with today's UPS delivery. At $199 on Amazon, it's a steal. My already having the VF=2 sealed the deal for me. Picture quality is not a good as the E=PM1, but it's a smaller and easier option for a "take everywhere" camera. I almost never leave the house without a camera, and two hundred dollars for a quality small, pocketable option was a "must have" for me. I love the E-M5, but sometimes I just want to stick a camera in a pants cargo pocket.

16. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    In terms of sharpness, the XZ-1 is good for a P&S but in the end it's just a P&S. It's not as sharp as a M43 camera. Here are some comparison shots. The last image is from a TX5 P&S camera.

XZ-1 @ F4.5 ISO 200
    [​IMG]

GF2 w/kit lens @ F5.6 ISO 200
    [​IMG]

TX5 @ F4.5 ISO 400
    F4.5.JPG

17. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I wanted a camera to walk around that would be smaller than the E-M5. I bought the E-PM1 to use with the 20mm Panasonic pancake. But that was not so pocketable. I recently bought the XZ-1 with the $4 Olympus case on Amazon. I'm much happier with that. I can take many more places. And if shooting RAW, can can so much more from the XZ-1 images than JPEG.

18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think anyone has mentioned sync speed... so I will.

For some (usually strobists) these high end P&S cameras such as the LX3, LX5, LX7 and this Olympus ZX-1 have a significant advantage over most DSLRs and mirrorless cameras in the xsync arena. Most of these cameras have flash sync speeds upwards of 1/2000 -> 1/4000. Most of our cameras (and DSLRs for that matter) have xsync speeds of 1/160 to 1/250th.

If you are strobist, this is a HUGE advantage that opens the door to some creative work with lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  19. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I hadn't even thought of that. Do we know the exact sync speed for it?

20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't own the camera (wouldn't mind having one) but I found this:

"Third-party flash units can also be attached as long as their trigger voltage is below 24 volts. Importantly, it's possible to sync these flashes right up to the fastest shutter speed of 1/2000 of a second, although their range will be somewhat limited above 1/500 s. The official specifications do not mention the type of shutter used in the Olympus XZ-1 but it's definitely not a focal plane shutter, so there will be no black stripes across the frame when using a flash at a high shutter speed."

Olympus XZ-1 Review | PhotographyBLOG

Not really sure what they mean by "their range is limited by 1/500th". I figure what they actually meant to say is that many flashes at full-power will have bursts that are longer than 1/2000 of second. This is common... use more flashes (or more powerful ones) at 1/2 or 1/4 power at closer distances.

I'll tell yah.... a max xsync shutter speed of 1/250th (OMD and Leica M9) really sometimes gets in the way at times. ND filters are ok stop-gap. I've been pushing the OMD to about 1/320 w/ flash + high volt-pack + better beamer + 100-300 and cropping the top of the frames (black band).

stevehuffphoto published a quick article related to this.... but it is a pretty well known technique among strobists.

Big Light with Small Gear by Anders Hansén | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

• Like Like x 1