XZ-1... anybody got one yet?

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Ray, Your bringing up all the good points of the LX5. I totally agree. It's as fast as a Leica on Hyperfocal Distance. I"m interested in hearing how you compare the Nex5 to the LX5. Maybe we should start a thread on that.
Probably not worth a thread yet. As of now, if they'd put a screen as good as the Nex with the same type of flip up mechanism on the LX5 or 7 or something, it would leap back into first place for decent light street shooting. Because of the hyperfocal setup and incredible depth of field. The Nex is better for low light but the sensor is a bit big for hyperfocal so you pretty much need to use the AF, which fortunately is quite good and with the flip up screen, you can SEE to line it up and use it. With the LX5, I'm often shooting blind so my AF point would miss the target if I was using AF. The Nex is already much better in low light with the 16mm and will be low light heaven when the Zeiss 24 f1.7 comes out within the next few months.

That's my full assessment as of now. Things will no doubt change. That flip up screen probably wouldn't matter for a lot of folks, for me its the best thing since dental floss and sliced bread. Personal style thing.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Ray... what lenses are you using on the NEX and what's your assessment of them?

An articulating LCD is something I greatly value. One of several reasons I just added a GH2 to my m4/3 kit. Fantastic camera and with the articulating LCD, of course, you can shoot the camera when it may appear you are just looking down and fiddling with your camera. ;-) Such a screen on an "LX7" would be a dream come true.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Ray... what lenses are you using on the NEX and what's your assessment of them?

An articulating LCD is something I greatly value. One of several reasons I just added a GH2 to my m4/3 kit. Fantastic camera and with the articulating LCD, of course, you can shoot the camera when it may appear you are just looking down and fiddling with your camera. ;-) Such a screen on an "LX7" would be a dream come true.
Pretty much just the kit zoom and the 16mm. I have a Voightlander 50 f1.5 that I shoot with on my m43 cams and I have an adapter to use it on the Nex too. I've played around with it but haven't done any real world shooting with it on the Nex yet. I'm happy enough with the two native lenses but I'm not an IQ freak. The kit zoom is on a par with the m43 kits lenses, probably better than the first version of the Oly kit, maybe a hair below the Panasonic 14-45, but serviceable, like all of them. The 16 is a fun focal length to shoot with and I enjoy it. I think there's some sample variation with that lens because I've heard of (and seen samples from) some really bad ones, but mine is fine. Soft in the corners wide open, but fine stopped down a bit. I'm happy with them. I'm really looking forward to the Zeiss 24 f1.7 that's due in a couple/few months though - that might never come off of that camera once it appears.

The only thing I'd say about the screen is its a fundamentally different experience than using the flip OUT screen on the Pany G-series cameras. Some might not like it as much (doesn't go in as many directions) but I like it a lot more because it allows you to hold the camera differently and it feels much more discreet without that appendage sticking out to the left. Part of that is just the overall size and shape of the camera though, to be sure. Probably just personal preference but its a strong one in my case.

FOsteology

Mu-43 Rookie
I read this thread with great interest. A lot of good information and discussion.

For the past couple weeks I've been deliberating on which P&S to acquire. Initially, I was drawn to the XZ-1 and LX5.

In the end, I decided that what was most important to me, was a truly compact camera. One that can easily be slipped in my pocket and always be with me. The stumpy lens housing on the XZ-1 and LX5 preclude them from truly being pocketable.

If a small belt bag or other carrying system is warranted, just makes more sense to me to schlep along either my GF1 or E-PL1.

As with everything, there's compromises....

In the end, I went with the Canon S95.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I read this thread with great interest. A lot of good information and discussion.

For the past couple weeks I've been deliberating on which P&S to acquire. Initially, I was drawn to the XZ-1 and LX5.

In the end, I decided that what was most important to me, was a truly compact camera. One that can easily be slipped in my pocket and always be with me. The stumpy lens housing on the XZ-1 and LX5 preclude them from truly being pocketable.

If a small belt bag or other carrying system is warranted, just makes more sense to me to schlep along either my GF1 or E-PL1.

As with everything, there's compromises....

In the end, I went with the Canon S95.
I can't get past these dynamics either. I'm hoping (but doubting) that the XZ-1 will be good enough to break through this size barrier.

I've owned the S90, and while I liked it I didn't feel the need to keep it. I'm thinking that my next P&S will be Sony HX9 (due in April). It does not bring fast glass a la the S95, but size is almost exactly the same, plus it has 10 or 15X zoom. The IQ won't be there, but for a pocketable "snapshot" camera I don't know that I'll miss much. If I had an S95 or other top end P&S I'd still want my GF1 or DSLR for any photos that really matter to me, so why not get a more fun P&S that I can always stick in my pocket? (at least that is what I'm telling myself today...)

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
As I mentioned a few posts ago, I had all but decided the LX5 (over the XZ-1, due to 24mm setting, much better video features, and roughly comparable IQ) was going to be my choice for times when I don't choose my GF1 or GH2.

My G9 and ZS3 (my previous go-everywhere camera) just sold on eBay, so I was ready for the move. Ray, your last post extolling the virtues of the LX5 and a thread elsewhere showing images taken with the LX5 and .7 wide angle lens at the Air Museum in Oregon

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=37041250

just pushed me over the edge.

LX5 is inbound from B&H, due here tomorrow. I'm really excited to see what this little camera can do for myself. While it's not significantly smaller than my GF1 and 20/1.7, it still is smaller, much flatter, more pocketable, and lighter in weight and offers considerably more zoom range versatility and convenience when I don't want to be bothered with carrying multiple lenses for the m4/3. It also offers much greater DOF, which comes in very handy for some types of work, like small product photography for the web (better than my 5DMkII and L-lenses for this due to the sensor size difference). I'm really excited to work with LX5.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Ray... thanks. I've done enough homework and analysis (and being a Panny user of 3 models already) to be confident that I won't be disappointed in the LX5! And I've got plenty of other camera options for situations where the LX5 isn't as suitable.

shoturtle

dxo results are all raw processing. One work flow might favor one sensor over another. It is nice to know info. But in the real shooting world it means very little. As canon sensors never do as well compare to the sony sensor that are in the nikon, pentax and sony. But they produce excellent photos in jpeg, and with the write workflow great RAW.

Recently popular photography did a RAW sensor test against the 60D and d7000. Using the default setting with the raw software each brand packaged with the camera. The canon out preformed the highly touted sony sensor in the nikon. So do not take dxo test to seriously.

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I have been having fun with mine. It's poised between a P&S and M4/3 for me. Here are some things I like about it.

1-Fits easily in a large pocket or small bag, very inconspicuous.
2-It feels more like a real camera than a S95 does.
3-Works with the EVF2 though I have yet to put one on since I like the small form factor as is.
4-Lens opens up quickly when you turn the camera on and just pushes the lens cap off by itself, that is one thing I never liked about the LX3 and LX5 the lens cap message when you turn the camera on.
5-lens ring settings
6-good image quality for a camera that size.

I have yet to view any of the RAW files as I am waiting for ACR instead of installing the Olympus software.

This image doesn't really say anything about the camera but it's my favorite I've taken with the XZ-1

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I am looking hard at the Olympus as well. I have a GF1 but I can not take it everywhere, even with the 20/1.7. And my wife is getting tired of me borrowing the Lumix ZS7 I bought her.

I am leaning toward the LX5 for three reasons:

1. I am already familiar with the Panny interface
2. It is selling for $100 less than the XZ-1
3. It has a 24mm equivalent wide-angle

On the other hand that Canon 95S looks so nice and small.

But the Olympus screen looks so good.

Rats ...

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
hey Dhart, How are you finding your LX5??
brents.... I really like the little bugger! I'm still getting accustomed to it and haven't had much opportunity to put it through a lot of paces. I bought the lens hood/adapter which adds a wonderful grip to the camera, shields the lens against being bumped, allows use of 52mm filters (polarizer and ND!)... and I have the .75 wide angle on the way from B&H, which will take the lens to 18mm (35mm equiv.). As with all cameras, under certain circumstances it performs exceptionally well, like close ups and near to mid range subjects that are well lit. Under dim lighting conditions with fine distant detail, well no compact performs very well under those conditions.

Judging from all the wonderful samples taken with this camera that are all over the internet, I'm sure it will perform wonderfully as a grab 'n' run camera for times when you don't want to have to fuss with gear or make decisions on what lenses to take.

I typically wear cargo type pants on most days and this camera easily drops into and carries well in the pants pocket.

I like the rubberized finger hold contour on the front right side of the camera and the small thumb spot on the back. Stepped zoom feature is nice to have. I really like the 24mm wide angle. I just know I wouldn't have been happy with 28mm being the widest. And 90mm at full extension is plenty long for nearly any task I might put this camera to. If anything, I like even wider... that's why I ordered the .75 WA lens.

The operations are very familiar to me as a Lumix GF-1 and GH2 owner. The EFV I occasionally use on my GF1 works well on this camera. The resolution of the EVF is not so great, but it makes the job of composing in bright lighting conditions easy.

Here's an image I created with it, at the request of another forum member who wanted to see my Planar 85mm 1.4 on my GF-1.

Image created with Lumix LX5 and Vario-Summicron 5.1-19.2mm f/2.0-3.3

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
2. It is selling for $100 less than the XZ-1
3. It has a 24mm equivalent wide-angle

[...]

But the Olympus screen looks so good.
Take a look at Samsung EX1. It sports a 24mm f/1.8 wide angle lens and the same AMOLED screen as XZ-1. I'm very happy with mine.

mclarenf3

Mu-43 Veteran
I just received mine today, and I'm blown away by it. Here are some points:

1. The camera itself is about the size I imagined, but it is actually a lot lighter than I expected. I put it in my light jacket pocket and couldn't even tell it was there.
  2. The focus is actually faster than my E-PL1 with most lenses. There's no hunting, it just locks focus.
  3. There is some shutter lag, so even though it focuses fast, there is the delay when capturing the image.
  4. The shutter is QUIET! I don't think I've had a camera that had such a quiet shutter. This is going to make this popular with the street photographers. In a typical outdoor or coffee shop environment, you won't hear the shutter going.
  5. The control dial on the front is interesting. I'm not sure how much I like it or not, but it seems pretty intuitive and natural to use.
  6. It's very easy to get flaring with this camera. I guess it's because of the huge lens on the front.

So far, I am extremely happy with it and it has exceeded my expectations. Now I'm just trying to decide whether I should keep my E-PL1 anymore... :doh:

Some photos have been attached. All were OOC JPEGs other than resizing, adding a border and watermark. EXIF should be intact.

Shoot me any questions you may have, I'll be happy to answer them.

Attachments

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
mclarenf3... this images look nice!

As for shutter sounds, on the LX5, you can program the camera to make different shutter sounds at different volumes, including silent, which is wonderful! Check your owner's guide... it may be possible to do the same with the XZ-1.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom