Xbox One or PlayStation 4?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My sons are 10 and 9, and Santa's got a tough decision to make. The boys say all their school friends are talking about Xbox One...

Any opinions?

No flaming!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    Do you have any current gen consoles? What types of game are they into?

I find the current available games fairly lacking for both new consoles.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Why decide? Get both. One gaming console is like having just one camera...

:biggrin:

4. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    You should try to discover what their friends are using. The consoles are all about playing with friends over the Internet now. They are both fine machines but if they're left out of the games they'll want to switch.

5. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    The PS4 is cheaper, has faster memory, GPU seems a bit more powerful and Sony hasn't tried the to go full NSA with always-on, etc. like Microsoft did (although they did a 180 on most weird ideas)

So, I'll probably go with the PS4 as my next-gen console after being pretty happy with the Xbox360. But like inlawbiker said, it's more important what their friends are using, multiplayer is pretty big these days and being left out is never funny...

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Oh daaaang.... you think FF vs m4/3 can be bad. Do you know what you're asking?

PC btw. STEAM SALES! Seriously. Steam sales are no joke. ..and mods. So much fun, if I was a kid there's probably also quite the value to learning how to keep your PC tuned up and awesome, and joining the master race. The upfront cost may be a bit higher, but the utility is greater, the software is super cheap relatively compared to the console where CoD, or BF4 will cost you $110 yearly. And you have to subject your kids to console online ecosystems.

Or a PS4, Playstation + is a really good value also of games come up for sale on deep disounts, or free. fwiw, PSN seems to have a higher level of etiquette compared to Live for MP games.

7. psknapp

psknapp Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Honestly, if they are talking about their friends having the xbox one, then they want the xbox one. That way they can play online with their friends, which is where most of the fun is. While the PS4 is probably more powerful, they are both incredible machines.

8. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    if they are talking xbox one then get an xbox but I rather go sony

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Franchises are IMHO the foremost reason for picking one over the other. This last generation, as an adult gamer, I went Xbox since Mass Effect, Halo, Gears of War, Alan Wake and a few others were my highlights. For your guys, pick age appropriate titles of course, but see if anything they really want is exclusive to one console.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    They have Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, PCs, and iPads. More than anything else they play Minecraft on the PC.

Ouch, when you put it like that :rolleyes:.

They've already got a PC each, and we had fun building each of their PCs together. Most recently each of them got one of my Sapphire 7970 OC cards :).

I think you're probably right. They haven't done online gaming other than Minecraft servers, but some of their school friends have started doing it, and I'm sure they'll catch on before long!

11. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi Amin
    I would go with the XBox One for the kids as the Xboxes seem to be more popular with kids as the range of games tends to be a bit better and the online experience is perhaps better ?. The Xboxes do seem to be more popular with pure 'Gamers'
    Please note that PS3 and XBox 360 games are not compatible with the new consoles due to completely new electronic architecture so there will be only a very few games available for some while and only a slow trickle of new titles being launched
    The Xbox One is a bit more expensive but you need to take into account the fact that the One comes with the new more advanced Kinect sensor included in the price whereas the equivalent for PS4 is an additional expense
    The Xbox One unit is apparently a lot bigger than the PS4 and has been unfavourably compared with a 1980s VCR In looks ! whereas the PS4 is apparently much sleeker looking and smaller (they have not yet been launched over here - due in the next few days - so I have not yet seen either myself)
    There have been reports of freezing up and other glitches on the first release of the PS4 but that has or probably will be fixed with firmware updates. Dont know if the Xbox One has had similar issues upon release
    I have a personal preference for Playstations having had PS1,2 and 3 but would be happy to buy either of the new gen consoles
    I suspect that the inbuilt Blu Ray Player will be superior in the PS4 (both will have Blu Ray this time around) as Sony has a highly regarded range of dedicated Blu Ray players and more experience with same - Blu Ray being their 'baby' as it were. This would be one reason for my opting for the PS4 although there is also a possible issue with playing Blu Rays on the initial release batches which will need firmware
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    PS4 IMO.
    Not based on specs but on pure microsoft hate. Too many bad business decisions and arrogance concerning X1.

However, if most of their friends have the xbox, go with that. Soon they will grow on multiplayer and it's a great experience to play with friends.

It's good they have the PC, steam sales are great!

Btw, you're the best dad ever! Care to adopt a 30 year old (i.e. me)? :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    This is exactly right. If their friends all have XBox that is what they will want.

14. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    can i call you "dad" ?!!!!

15. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Games are all about multiplayer. If you kid's friends have Xbox One's then that's the one to get.

16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I'm a big gamer, and am waiting on my friends to go out and get their consoles around Christmas to tally and see who's got what. In the end, the multi-platform games are exactly the same on both consoles. I enjoy playing with others so getting the console that maximizes that possibility is the way to go.

Here's just an unconventional suggestion. Why don't you get a gift card for them that is around $500? Enough to cover a XBONE (official suggestion of abbreviation from Microsoft btw) or PS4. Then come post-Christmas break have them find out which one of their friends got what and decide by that time?

17. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Amin
    Intrigued to know which one if either you went with in the end and how well it went down with the kids ?
    Regards
    Rob

18. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    There are exclusive games for each console that you might want to consider if your kids are into a certain franchise, I'm happy with the 360 right now as there aren't any real next gen games out for either console at the moment. I think i might switch to PS4 though at some time, it is aimed purely at gaming more than the XBO which is more multimedia and kinect which kinda annoys me that you have to have kinect with the XBO. Also the PS4's controllers have always been better IMHO. On paper the PS4 graphical capabilities should win out in the long run if the developers can tap into it's full power.