X100T....is it unnecessary when I have m43 ?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by damianmkv, Aug 8, 2017.

1. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    A few years ago, I shot Nikon and bought a Fuji xf1 which by all accounts should have been rubbish but I liked it a lot, inspire of average IQ. It died, was refurbished and sold on...along with my Nikon gear as I went m43.

Last year, my Fuji craving returned so I bought a x30 which nearly fixed my GAS but I sold that after a short time and got the X100T.

It really made me think about what I was doing and I have taken it on holiday with a WCL and a few filters - all my m43 gear stayed at home. I loved the IQ, the black and whites, the colours, the high(er) ISO shots are much cleaner than my e-m1, the built-in ND is a joy..

But at the weekend, I suddenly thought that I have 2 cameras which pretty much do the same thing so why don't I sell the Fuji gear and get a O17mm 1.8. Same FL as the Fuji, would free up some money to upgrade my mk1 maybe, save some weight...

Both cameras have their pluses and minuses...I'm just torn. I really enjoy the Fuji but have I got the bases covered twice ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    You have already made a financial commitment with the Fuji. Are you going to save much money selling the camera and buying a lens to do exactly what it does (maybe slightly worse?). I wouldn't have bought the camera in the first place, but now that you have it you should probably just keep it. Clearly you enjoy using it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    Continue to enjoy the Fuji and your E-M1. They can both have a role to play in your life.

I have an E-M1 and a Pen F, and use them for different tasks. I could use the E-M1 for Pen tasks and vice versa, but I prefer each camera for different tasks. I also use Sony A-mount, which again could be seen as an overlap, but for some tasks, well, I just prefer it. Then in the last fortnight I've added the LX100, and it too will be preferred for some tasks.

If I had to use just one camera, I could make any of them work for me, but fortunately I don't need to choose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. damianmkv

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Oh, i have a RX100 mk2 too :hiding:

If i sold the Fuji, and bought another lens i would be up around £400 because i have the WCL too but I agree that both cameras do differnt things

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Sounds like incurable GAS syndrome, unfortunately no cure :hiding:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. lifeinphotos

lifeinphotos Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2015
    Dave
    I have the x100t and the Olympus pen f . My x100t hardly sees any action. For me the Pen f is the better camera

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    UK
    Steve Douglas
    You say you enjoy using the Fuji and the output it produces. I'd say if you enjoy something then why stop doing it? There's maybe room for both cameras in your life. Life's too short to stop doing something you enjoy :)

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    This photography lark, unless you're earning an income from it, it's supposed to be fun. So don't sell anything, have your cake and eat it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Damian,

The X100T is a fantastic camera, and if you're enjoying using it and the files it produces, then why sell it? It appears to be a perfect holiday camera, where you don't have to worry about bringing a bunch of "stuff" with you.

I owned the Olympus 17mm, and to me, it was pretty "meh". Not bad, but not that inspiring either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. damianmkv

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    thanks all :thumbup: Looks like it stays then..:love:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. isin

isin Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Ioannis Sinadinos
    I had the same dilemma but when I tried x100t i was really disappointed with af... Lightning fast saf of m43 really spoiled me... Although x100t is a really nice camera, I end up buying panasonic gx80 with is also great an small camera with 4k, interchangeable lens, faster SAF, touch screen etc... Never regret for my choice... I suggest to hold both cameras in your hands before you decide.

12. damianmkv

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Thanks - I have both cameras already..

13. melanieylang

melanieylang Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2017
    For years I've had a MILC for "serious", plus a point and shoot, but recently I sold my Fujifilm X30. It was a hard decision, because I loved most things about it, particularly the supermacro, its heft and good looks, the special undefinable quality of the files, the brilliant EVF...but when I got the Raynox 250 I now have macro easily and compactly covered, so I carry my GX7 everywhere instead. It doesn't take up much more room, and the files have better IQ than the 2/3" sensor could manage. Of course I will want another camera - there's nothing surer! - but I no longer have the dilemma of having to choose what to take on any given day (just which lens).

Can anyone suggest the nearest mft equivalent kit to an X100t/f, taking into account the larger sensor and how blurred backgrounds would be with its f2 lens in mft terms? I have the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, which I really like, so am not sure if I'd be likely to switch to a 17mm to get the same angle as X100.

14. damianmkv

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Conclusion : said I'd keep it
    Reality : sold it

M'waahahhahahaha

Maybe the e-m1 mk2 or d500 will replace my current kit

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Sad Sad x 1
  15. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Gas is one hell of a drug, isn't it? I churn gear frequently enough that I buy used so that I minimize my total investment, and am not taken to the cleaners when I go to sell it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. damianmkv

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    You’re right there - it cost me £5 to have it for 6 months. Can’t argue with that

• Like Like x 3
  17. Gromit

Gromit Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Lincoln UK
    Richard
    I appreciate the stable door's already been locked where the OP's concerned but I can very much appreciate (and share the experience) of the thread's subject.

I've been 'Fuji' on and off for quite some time - original X100, then X100T (alongside X-Pro1, then X-E2, then X-Pro2). Sold the X100T to get into M43 with an E-M1 and didn't really regret it. Added a Pen F to my E-M1 earlier this year - however I still wanted to scratch the Fuji itch again so picked up a used X100S. Yes, the Fuji's IQ is lovely, but I'll say hand-on-heart the Pen is a much better camera: It's faster, better built, more adaptable, IQ (in good light) is right up there - and Oly jpegs are a match for Fuji's IME. If the Fuji and the Pen are alongside each other in the bag, I'll pick up a Pen every time.

Oh...and that magical Panny 20 fits the Pen too. :)

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I keep trying Fuji and the raw files keep eluding me. I'm again back to mu43 as my primary system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gromit

Gromit Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Lincoln UK
    Richard
    I'd agree - the Oly RAW files are much nicer (and easier) to work with. Ok, the M43 sensor won't have quite the potential in all-out dynamic range c/w with the Fuji's APS-C, but the gap is nowhere near as wide as one would think. The files I get - from the Pen F's sensor in particular - are a match for the X100S, and are sharper too owing to the Oly's IBIS which is pure magic.

20. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    i bought a used x100 to see what the fuji hype was all about with their colors in sooc jpeg, got it pretty cheap so i am happy with it, i used it along side my sony a7 full frame and took the x100 when i traveled which i do often for work, since i got into m43 i have rarely used it and even less since i picked up the 20mm f1.7 for my em1.2, with that combo i can use the same tiny bag i used for the x100, if my x100 was worth selling i would sell it but its pretty well used so ill keep it but i wouldnt keep both cameras as the fuji doesnt give me any better images than what i use now, the only think i like about the x100 i wiish the em1.2 had is the built in nd filter for long exposuers in day time, i like that feature