1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

X100 vs X-system cameras

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Steven, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I've had Fuji X100 for a while now . I am very impressed with image quality vs. my Panasonic m43 set up. Everything is clear smooth sharp and noise free even at 100%. Sometimes I am tempted to try out one of the interchangeable lens Fuji X models to get that same quality in different focal lengths. However, I have this suspicion that at least some of the X100 clarity is due to that quiet shutter. I have photos take at as slow as 1/4 sec that are pretty decent. Would the clack of the XT1 or XE1 shutter result in less sharp photos than comparable photos from X100? If anyone has experience with both X100 and other X cameras could comment on this, I would appreciate it.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you mean shutter shock, then yes, it is a possibility, however not very likely. You do gain the ability of using OIS in some of the ILC cameras, that is not built into the X100 series.

I found the shutters on the Fuji don't really have that big of an issue - they seem sufficiently dampened. The bigger difference is the fact that the Fuji X100/100s has a leaf shutter in the lens, whereas the changeable lens X cameras have regular curtain shutters.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You could also try the Fuji sister forum.... sure that some of those guys have made the comparison and know about the shutter.

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    It is a natural progression for some Fuji X users, started with X100/s then added the X system.

5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I may be unnatural then. I went from X system to X100s. LOL

I find the X100s + m43 system to be very complementary with each other. I am very happy with both systems, and I get the best of both worlds (or very close to it). IMO adding a second system very quickly muddles everything.

(Sorry if it veered a bit off topic.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    You are unique, like everyone else? :cool:

7. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I think that depends on the size/features of the camera. Like a GFx or E-PMx camera and a Fuji model with an EVF could work together, each serving a different purpose.

On topic, I had been researching Fuji X cameras I am looking(well I just did) get into the system; from all the images & reviews I have seen & read I've yet to see any one mention a shutter shock issue with the X system cameras.

8. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    you can always add the wide and tele adapters to your x100. gives u 28mm and 50mm equivalent.

9. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

You're not on your own. I have a m43 system and an X100. I usually take both the X100 and EM5 out with me. I only have 50mm and 90mm equivalent lenses for the EM5 so the X100 does really nicely for anything wider.

The X100 is such a wonderful camera. I could happily just use that camera and no other. Add the TCL-X100 and/or WCL-X100 and you could have a great little system.

I haven't answered your question :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I had an X100 and still have an XE1. I loved the leaf shutter and fast sync speeds but to me the lens just wasn't anywhere as sharp as the 35 1.4 and I like that FOV better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I've been shooting an X-E1 for almost a year.
    No 1/4 second shots here but also haven't noticed any sshock issues as long as I stay at approx. the 1.5X focal length/shutter speed rule.
    Without having shot with an X100, I would have to guess that you would lose that advantage.

12. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

That surprises me as I find that lens to be exceptionally sharp. It's not exceptionally sharp at f2 but by f4 it's just superb.

13. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    seems fuji cameras are some of the best mu-43 cameras for some

• Like Like x 1
  14. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    This forum is far more active than Fuji sister site. Maybe that's the reason :)

15. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    i was in exactly your situation, loved the x100, loved the IQ, quiet shutter and user experience. tried the xp1 and didnt like it at all. the louder shutter was certainly a negative, but what was dispositive for me is that all the other X ILCs have a different sensor--called xtrans--from the x100. this leads to a very different look from the unique x100 sensor that i absolutely, and subjectively, did not care for. i found a distinct lack of crispness in the xtrans files, and the color was different too.

point being the x100--even vs the 100S--is a unique animal in the fuji zoo. loving its output has no carryover to the other xtrans sensored models. that means just as i personally liked xtrans less, you personally might like it more, but it will not be the same.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why not get a GX7 with a real silent electronic shutter, improved sensor performance and 2 axis IBIS? For sure you can shoot at low shutter speeds using that setup and still use all your current glass?

17. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    I have an x100 and µ43 setup also. They work well together and would only ditch my EM-5 for something like an A7/future camera if the systems really mature in the next few years. If I weren't already invested in µ43, I might give Fuji X a try, but I think the next major sensor upgrade should take care of most of my qualms with the current image quality.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I use an X100S as my primary camera after selling off my full frame Canon gear. I also have a G5 and an E-PL1. I previously owned an X-E1 with the 35mm lens and while it was certainly sharp, I didn't like it as a primary camera as it simply wasn't as responsive a camera as either the Canon or the then current m43 options. Also, the lenses are noticeably larger than their m43 counterparts (at least to me). One thing to also keep in mind is that the Fuji X-mount cameras use a completely different sensor than the X100 and love it or hate it, the files from the X-Trans cameras have a different look to them than the X100 and require a different type of processing which can sometimes be a bit of a challenge (again at least for me).

• Like Like x 1
  19. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I started my mirrorless life using the Fuji X10, then going to the X-E1 and various lenses(see signature). Used them for well over a year and while i did enjoy using them from time to time and they do produce very nice JPG, I was missing a lot of street shots because the camera was not as responsive as I needed it to be for the way I shoot. I even contemplated upgrading to the Fuji X-T1, but when I tested it against the Olympus OMD series cameras and even an X100s....the Olympus was the one that was most DSLR-like in its responsiveness.

I know a lot of people that absolutely love the Fuji X system and they are great, just not for everyone....same as the m43 systems are not for everyone either.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Do you find Gx7 files look better straight out of camera than Gx1? X100 really spoils me with its perfect Jpegs that require almost no post work.