1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

x100 or Ricoh GR: thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by sjducks, Oct 25, 2013.

1. sjducks

sjducks Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    chicago, il
    Hello! I was wondering what your thoughts are on a Fuji x100 vs. a Ricoh GR. I can get either at around the same price range and I'm looking to add a fixed prime camera to my kit. Both focal ranges are acceptable for me, so that is a non-issue. I am wondering what users think of regarding the ease of use (menus and whatnot), handling, and overall image quality. Initially the size of the GR drew me in, however I do love the looks of the x100 (files and aesthetics). I know that some of you have owned/operated both and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks much and I apologize if this topic has been posted before.

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The Ricoh has a better sensor and a wider lens, but the X100 has a viewfinder and a faster lens. The X100s would be more comparable. It really is hard to beat the GR for bang for the buck though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I owned a GRD3 and it was an awesome pocket camera - very quick and the pictures were ok, limited only by the fixed 28mm EFL. I can only assume that the GR is *better* than the GRD3.

I switched to m4/3 after my time with the GRD3, and the picture quality and the interchangeable lenses are way better, IMO.

4. sjducks

sjducks Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    chicago, il
    Thanks for the replies. I still own a g5 with several lenses, however after the long vacation I just came home from my girlfriend confiscated my gx1 for her own use. I had that with a p14 as my smaller grab and go camera. I'm interested in something that can replace that one while giving me something new and fun to shoot with.

Anyone else with experience want to chime in? Thanks again!

5. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    I have an X100, but I'm not sure it's the right camera for me yet - and I'm looking at the GR with increasing interest.

X100 has an amazing look, that I find more pleasing than what I've seen from the GR so far - although with the right processing or jpeg settings, that camera too can produce very nice files. GR is a good bit smaller, and its layout was designed for one-handed operation. The X100 requires some dedication I suppose. The viewfinder means very little to me, except in bright light (and a good part of that may simply be because the screen protector I have is super-reflective). I'd much prefer a tilting LCD, but neither camera has one.

For some situations (for instance social events) I'd really prefer a quick "snapshot" camera (even though that term probably doesn't do the GR justice) that gives great results. In other situations (landscape etc) I don't mind the more considered approach that the X100 requires. I still haven't gotten used to 35mm equivalent fov though (I tend to see the world a good bit wider (wider than 28 also)), but you stated that that's no problem for you. I don't use the menus often on the X100 now that I have it set up the way I like, but I think the way they implemented the choice of drive mode kinda stinks. Focus area selection has been greatly improved with FW 2.0.

• Like Like x 1
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have both the X100 and GR right now, and have the GR listed here for sale. This primarily comes down to field of view and viewfinder for me. I am more comfortable with the 35mm FoV for family-and-friends shots I do with a compact. The viewfinder is a nice to have for me in bright sunlight.

I very much prefer the handling, operational speed, and menu of the Ricoh. The auto ND filter is amazingly helpful and the Auto ISO implementation is pretty great (maybe not enough shutter speed for street, see Ray's reviews). IQ in terms of detail (could be lens, lack of AA filter, more mpx, or all of these together) and dynamic range is also a noticeable step up with the GR. Maybe an advantage of the X100 output, but think it has more of a classic, slightly-softer look... great for people, imo.

One last factor... the GR is truly a compact. The X100 is borderline here... definitely a bigger camera.

• Like Like x 1
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    BTW, you may want to consider posting the same question on seriouscompacts.com (link icon at top of page), mu-43's sister site. Lots of X100 and GR owners there.

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    If you liked the GX1 with the 14mm, the Ricoh will give you the same field of view. The X100 and X100s would be more similar to the Oly 17mm 1.8 lens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I played with both a while back and ended up getting the GR. Like Kyle said above the GR handles much much better than the x100, it's quick and really easy to use. I never thought I was gonna use snap focus much but ended up using it as my default mode. The camera is set up in a way that you can actually use 2 focus mode simultaneously, (Snap and AF). Also the close up, semi-macro feature is awesome.

Lastly, the image quality is just awesome!!! :D I do have the extra GV-1 viewfinder though for those times when I want to use one.

• Like Like x 2