X100 Commercial release

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Pelao, Feb 8, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I wonder where/when it will actually be for sale!
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    No doubt B&H and Adorama will have it soon.
    Amazon will also but the get it from the above also.
    Amazon is bad for returns....

I'll wait till the firmware is right...
    Just saying.....
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Too late. My wee Pen does its thing well.
  4. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    You can already pre order it from Amazon. B&H has it listed as "available in March."

Never had one issue with Amazon. I pretty much buy everything there. No tax, free shipping. Seems like most items that are sold directly from Amazon ship from a warehouse in PA, it get the orders in 1-2 days. Even though the free shipping is 4-7 days.
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

As I mentioned on the other Fuji thread, Amazon will only give you 85% of the value if you return the camera and it has been opened and used...and of course you'd have to pay for your return shipping, too.

B&H and I believe Adorama, for example, both understand that people are going to want to try out the cameras they buy, within reason of course - and carefully.
  6. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Amazon can't charge a re-stock fee in the UK, we have 'Distance Selling Regulations' which grants us a 7-day cooling off period with no penalty other than the cost of returning an item.
  7. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    B&H sometimes charges a 15% restocking fee, Amazon does not. Amazon and B&H both require that you pay the shipping back to them.

Having used Amazon for probably about 10 years now I would recommend them to ANYONE. Of course I only buy items that are "sold by Amazon" not third parties. Heck they already have the E-PL2 discounted @ $549.

I've shopped in person at B&H and Adorama many, many times when I worked in photograhy throughout the 80's and 90's. Their prices are sometimes good but they aren't the friendliest of places.
  8. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Fuji X100 Beautiful Simple Digital Camera

I have been following the news release segways on this Camera since they first came out came out, And i have to tell you I am very excited about this camera.

Having shot film all my life, starting with a Nikkormat FT2 and saving all my extra money so i could buy the New Nikkormat, cost me $179.00 USD, then had to wait another month until i could buy the lens I wanted to go with it, the Nikkor 85mm f1.8 and that cost the same 179.00 USD. I was in heaven. I remember in college i really enjoyed the simplicity of Photography and the Nikkormat. Smiplicity!!!.Put in the Roll of film, set ASA speed, Check the exposure dial set shutter speed and aperture and shoot. No Scene modes no picture modes no starring at the LCD and MENU and Holding the Camera at arms length looking like you throwing the baby's awful smelling diaper in the trash, While in deep thought for five minutes trying to figure out the menu, while life and photo op's are passing me buy.

I resisted a long time to buy my first digital camera. Still do not like it, To me, if I have to read any more that a 10 page manual the camera is just too complicated, I am a simple guy. So now I am going to sell it and most of my other stuff that is too complicated and Just get the Fuji X100 .OK Guy's don't get down on me I am still.....
    going to keep my G1 m4/3 for knock around shooting., it's just to small and nice, and i can still use my 1972 nikkor 85 f1.8 on it.

Reading through the Specs on the Fuji X100 it hit me that here is a Digital camera that is SIMPLE and METAL, I really do not like plastic, (Been waiting for this for a long time hoping Nikon would be the first), and beautiful, and gorgeous, really one of two of the nicest looking Digital cameras I have seen so far , the other being the M9, Too expensive for me though. Yes in my film days I had three M's a 2, 3 and M6. The M3 probably IMHO, the finest and most beautiful Camera ever designed.

I am ranting now and I am going to stop, but in closing I am with "StreetShooter", Give Me "Simple" and Give me some proper "Metal" thank you very much. Go Fuji !!!:bravo-009:
    • Like Like x 4
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Gee, that's news to me regarding the restocking fee - thankfully that has never happened to me. Here is their return policy: Return & Exchange Policy | B&H Photo Video

As with any place one would choose to buy their photography gear, it's always good to read the fine print carefully, I agree.
  10. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Dennis - I love your enthusiam, but I'm trying hard not to feel the same way!

I will weaken though...

I can feel it already...

11. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Its Ok Colin, it is a really Beeyuuteefull Camera!!!. The size from specs ,actually is only, compared to GF1, larger in 2 dimensions.
    Fiji X100 is 125.5mm long x 74.4 mm High x 53.4mm deep w/ lens.
    GF1. is 119.0mm long x 71.0 mm High x 60mm deep with 20mm 1.7 lens
    G1 is 123mm long x 86mm High x 66mm deep w/o lens.
    So Fuji with ovf and evf is only 6mm longer and 3,4mm taller and is in fact 6mm less deep w/lens than the GF! with 20mm lens.And the Fuji X100 has an APS-C Size SENSOR, Plus built in OVF.
    But the real kicker, the Fuji X100 is actually 3 grams lighter that the GF1 ,each with lens and batteries in place. Remarkable for an APS-C Sensor Camera.
    NOW IF Fuji would only make this same camera in M4/3 size.:smile:
  12. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    The thing that grabbed me with the official specs is that the 1/4000 max shutter speed can't be used with the f/2 max aperture! f/2 is only available at 1/1000 or slower. I believe this is due to the leaf shutter not being fast enough to open and close over the larger aperture openings (the shutter is adjacent to the aperture.)

In real world usage it shouldn't pose too much concern, however I will have to adjust for it. With my E-PL1 in the sunny outdoors, I set it to 1/2000 shutter priority and the camera will automatically open up the aperture as the light gets darker.

If I try the same with the X100 at 1/4000, it will only open up to f/8 and all of a sudden the ISO will start ramping up. So I need to keep a close eye on that ISO!

Apart from that it looks pretty killer. Don't see anything really stopping me from upgrading from M43
  13. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Built in ND filter

Remember, that Fuji has put in a ND filter to allow for Bright shooting conditions.:smile:
  14. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    Yes, but I wanted that to be an additional tool on top of full and free aperture/shutter control, not a bandaid when you find certain combinations of aperture and shutter simply won't work!
  15. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    yes, you are right.

Yes ,I missed that about the top shutter speed of only 1000, at f2.0. Probably like you said was a design problem they could not get around on this first iteration of the X100.
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    So how did Fuji manage to end up with this fault when so much of their pre-release spiel on why it was a fixed lens design was about optimising the sensor for the lens and vice-versa? Strange, what about optimising the shutter?
  17. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    The optimisation of the sensor for the lens and vice-versa resulted in only 5mm gap between the rear element and the sensor. This was probably not enough room for a traditional focal plane shutter so they had to put the shutter in the lens where a fp wasn't feasible...

Still trying to think how I'd get around this in real-world usage without resorting to full auto mode. If I'm shooting outdoor portraits, for example, I'd set the aperture to f/2 and the shutter speed to auto. If it's too bright and tries to go past the 1/1000 limit (hopefully there'll be an indicator in the OVF display) then I'll flick the ND filter on and hopefully that'll fix it. If not, I'll have to stop down to f/2.8.

The problem is, what if the max shutter speed is different at f/2.8? If this shutter speed limit improves proportionally to the aperture size, then it will theoretically increase to 1/1400... So going from f/2 to f/2.8 is one stop less light in aperture and half a stop less light in shutter speed, i.e. 1.5 stops down.

BLAH. too early to think this hard about it yet. One of the first things I will be testing however will be the max shutter speeds at various apertures, I suspect it will be something like this:

f/2.0: 1/1000
    f/2.8: 1/1400
    f/4.0: 1/2000
    f/5.6: 1/2800
    f/8.0: 1/4000
  18. Blue Cube Imaging

Blue Cube Imaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon, USA
    A quick update from my Fuji Rep.

Yesterday's official announcement of the Fuji X100 has spurred a number of inquiries to our Office. Fuji USA has not nailed down the pricing details yet. We will update the camera pricing information up as soon as we have this info. We expect to have it in the ordering system in the next week or two.

Fuji's unofficial shipping expectation is "mid-March".
  19. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    An update from my rep here in Australia:

I have been informed from Fuji that shipment of the new cameras will be in around mid March.