1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

X100 as second body?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jeffryscott, Aug 24, 2013.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I have an OM-D (guess I have to get used to saying EM-5 now that another OM-D is on the horizon) and also have a brand new black 17 1.8 ...

However, I keep looking at the Fuji X100 and for not much more than what the 17 1.8 could be sold for, I could have a second body which includes a stellar 35mm equivalent lens.

So, is anyone using an X100 in this scenario? I know the Fuji's image quality is outstanding, but honestly don't know much about the camera's real-world performance (AF speed, etc ...)

Would an X100 fit in the workflow with an OM-D any worse (or better) than any other non-OM-D body (EP-5, GX-1 or 7, etc ...)?

Thanks ...

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Hey Jeff

I haven't had the chance to use an X100 but I have the X-E1 and as far as I know AF on Fuji cameras are still quite behind the AF performance of m43, specially the likes of E-M5.

Indeed the JPEG's are nice but the controls are way way different than most modern cameras. I would say the Fuji cameras are good compliments to the E-M5 but just prepare yourself to shoot differently. :smile:

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have an X100 as my carry about. Check my sig and you'll see that otherwise I'm all in on micro four thirds.

4. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    That's what I'm curious about is if the two camera's "styles" are different enough to get in the way, or if they can complement each other.

How was it with the Fuji and the GF-2 when you shot the two side-by-side?

I'm really intrigued by the Fuji cameras, but love the m43 kit too. In reality, prices of used OM-D EM-5's will likely drop about Sept. 10 or 11, so I would probably be better off waiting and picking up another body then ..

5. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Do you shoot with both simultaneously? If so, does it feel awkward or is it any challenge to work the two different cameras?

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    hmmm when I shot them side by side I found the GF-2 much better for candids as it response a lot quicker, much quicker to set up and only 1 dial to turn to change settings.

So I usually had the GF2 on my hand for most of the trip and then switch to the X-E1 when I am settled and ready to shoot some stuff that I normally shoot. As I and probably many others would agree that Fuji cameras will make you slow down, think and then shoot.

I did the switch coz I was curious what people are raving about. I am glad I did as I love what I am getting out of it. Nothing like John's photos though :biggrin:

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Phew!
    I own an X100 and IMHO, MFT and the X100 are 2 different animals altogether. One not being better than the other but rather totally different.

8. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I haven't yet, but I've shot mixed cameras before and it's ALWAYS awkward, lol. That's why the GH2 with GH1 as backup -- very similar and the backup is so cheap it's almost disposable.

September 6th I'll be doing some work in a small local concert venue which also happens to be hung with my photography. I'll be shooting the X100 primarily but the GH2 and 35-100mm f/2.8 for some up-close-and-personal stuff. I'll let you know then how crazy it makes me.

It's not really about the cameras. I know if I know both cameras I CAN do it -- but have you ever worked like that and will you be shooting both cameras enough to always be quick on them? It's sometimes about drill and practice and not just about what the two cameras are.

Still, the pros say wisely that your primary and backup should be as close as possible and from that perspective and E-M5 and an X100 are about as different as cameras can get. For me, the X100 feels like my old film cameras and I even shoot it JPG which I never did with my E-M5. Picking up the X100 feels natural, and I'm used the GH2 so I THINK I'll be okay, lol.

9. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    That's what I'm trying to get at wasn't too sure if it came across in my original post. Thanks. Just trying to get a sense of how the two systems "feel."

Over the years, I've often used my rangefinders for wide and an SLR for long lens work, but rarely would have a wide angle to medium tele (say 21-90) on both rangefinder and SLR as I work those two types of camera completely differently ... I'm thinking it might be similar to that if I worked both the Fuji x100 and OM-D.

Now, if I only had enough money I could have both systems:2thumbs:

10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I owned an X100 for well over a year and loved it despite its many quirks. I then got an OMD with 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 and love it with no qualifications. I also had an X100S for a few weeks but didn't find it to be that significant of an improvement over the original.

I considered keeping the 45 mounted on the OMD and using an X100 for my 35mm (equiv) needs, but decided against it. For one, it would be an invconveinence to frequently go back and forth between different controls, menus, etc. But more importantly, I am just so much more satisfied with the lightning fast and accurate AF of the OMD, as well as the superior video (which I only dabble in, but the X100 won't even let you lock or control exposure).

The X100 is a fantastic camera, and it has 'soul' that is difficult to describe, but for me, and I think most people, the OMD with 17/1.8 is a better choice. If you want to always carry two bodies, a PM2, PL5, or P5 would be nice complement to the OMD.

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I recently faced a similar dilemma and got the X100 and took it on a trip with a m43 kit with Gx1. I ended up using it quite a bit. here's my post about it: https://www.mu-43.com/f35/travel-lens-kit-review-usage-50136/

In your situation though, I am not sure how much, if any, image quality improvement you would see over the OMD. It's nice in other ways, like the big viewfinder and silent shutter. Just having another cool camera is kind of cool, isn't it? :smile:

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Jeff..
    I have OMD and X100 as a second camera . They compliment each other well. I also had same rationale ..instead of buying 17 mm or 25 mm I went for X100. I have no regrets . AF is quite acceptable and faster than what is projected over the Internet . The best thing is that newer X100s doesn't offer any substantial benefit doesn't matter what reviews say . Just grab it Jeff.
    Cheers

13. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular

I use both X100 and an OM-D (a PEN-3 prior to the latter, PEN-1 before that). For me, it's as if the OM-D has become a 2nd body to the X100. The Fuji is my go-to camera, and I only pull out the MFT when I need something from it (either very low-light with a fast lens, or a longer/wider focal length). Switching between the two cameras presents no usability issues to me, despite being somewhat different in usage. Often times, I only carry the X100 -- all the more so now that I've cracked the OM-D's screen while on holidays last week!

14. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I can only echo those sentiments. I've recently bought the X100 and find myself using it all the time and have hardly touched my G3 and EPM1 :eek: That 35mm equivalent focal length just seems so natural. I now feel like some of those m43 folk who have the 20mm Panny welded to their camera's :biggrin: In operation it's really quite different to using my other kit. If you're willing to put the effort into learning its weird, wonderful and eccentric character then you'll have no problem switching between the two. It does have a steepish learning curve which can be made easier by reading the sticky threads over on the Fuji forums.

A few of my X100 snaps

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Come on Jeff ..pull the trigger lol

Looks at these

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7911251@N03/9583758344/" title="Untitled by bhupinder2002, on Flickr">"1024" height="885" alt="Untitled"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7911251@N03/9415495443/" title="Untitled by bhupinder2002, on Flickr"> 9415495443_85116e337a_b. "1024" height="680" alt="Untitled"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7911251@N03/9418588751/" title="Untitled by bhupinder2002, on Flickr"> 9418588751_b34d3bb4b3_b. "1024" height="680" alt="Untitled"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7911251@N03/9560950599/" title="Untitled by bhupinder2002, on Flickr"> 9560950599_df93ec9618_b. "925" height="1024" alt="Untitled"></a>

16. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Cruel :biggrin:

17. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I know, I know. I'll always wonder "what if" if I don't ... but then the slippery slope begins. (I know myself all to well) An XE-1, or maybe an X Pro 1 ... I shouldn't of even asked this question because now my brain is churning.:rolleyes:

18. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I know what you mean about the slippery slope. My feeling is this: if you already have a system camera you can do your work with DON'T buy another one, lol.

The X100 is very versatile. Here's a set on flickr of some of my X100 work using it in JPG mode, and various film sims, and with various levels of processing. Subjects mostly urbex, industrial, and landscapes.

Fuji X100 - a set on Flickr

19. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Interesting comparison ... thanks.