X-Rite ColorChecker

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by isabel95, Oct 6, 2011.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

In anticipation of disappointment with color from the GH2 which I have on order, I've been searching the web for info on tweaking color in this camera.

I have to admit that as an Olympus E-PL1 owner I have been thoroughly spoiled by the nearly perfect out of camera jpgs and I know I'm not going to be thrilled with the the GH2 color unless I work in raw and use some some of profiling.

As a Panasonic LX3 owner I know that tweaking Pansonic color can often be an exercise in frustration.

I came across a mention of this profiling helper and am wondering how many of you are using it and whether there are some YouTube tutorial videos that might help with its use.

I have a Gretag MacBeth EyeOne Display 2 colorimeter which I use with my Nec Spectraview II calibration software and realize I need to have a well calibrated monitor as well.

I'd be interested to hear anything you have to say about dealing with GH2 color.

Isabel

2. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I use an Eye One Displat 2 to check the calibration of my monitor. I usually stick to Adobe s-RGB and rarely screw around with Pro-photo or Adobe RGB color spaces. I use an EIZO 24 inch monitor that is incredibly stable and sufficiently uniform across its surface. However, I shoot RAW + jpeg. My jpegs are fine, but not critical. If I need a critical print, I work in LR3 and then ptint out of CS5.

In my opinion one must work in RAW to obtain critically consistent color ptints through PP. There exist way too many variables in shooting to expect consistency from an in-camera jpeg algorithm. By the way, this does not mean you cannot get a good color print as an out-of-camera jpeg. This simply means you that you must rely on PP to get uniformity and to contour color to your preference.

Best regards,
    Tom

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I have the ColorChecker Passport and a GH2. I find that it's useful if I take a shot with the Passport in the frame and use it to tweak the WB in Lightroom (RAW of course). I tried using the profiling feature in Lightroom (creating a profile) but it completely backfired on me and I ended up with really weird colors. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I gave up.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Consistency is one thing, but the Panasonic JPEG engine is just disappointing. The Oly engine isn't a miracle worker, but it makes pretty good choices especially in the latest generation. The G2 I have just doesn't make good choices, the NR is an utter failure, etc. I know a lot of people are happy with it but I'm finding that I have to touch up EVERY JPEG that comes out of the G2 and massacring a JPEG is a bad idea in so many ways.

A calibrated monitor is important, but check out the tech specs on your screen too.

5. isabel95

Thanks for hte input, Tom...

YOu didn't mention the X-Rite ColorChecker, so I guess you don't use it.
    Isabel

6. isabel95

Were you working with jpg or raw images?....

I expect to be working with raw.

Isabel

7. isabel95

I know not to expect much from the jpgs....

My experience with the LX3 tells me so, although I had really nice color from my Panasonic FZ18 and FZ35.

I guess I'll just have to see how much tweaking I'm going to have to do with the raws from the GH2.

Isabel

8. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Isabel95,

I did not mention the X-Rite, which I do have. I do agree with what Sprinke wrote. I prefer to use a white balance tool such as the Expodisc. I also have the large MacBeth Color Chart. This works the same way, but these tools are clumsy in many instances. Frankly, the key to your issue is to work in RAW. Your colorimeter is all you need for your monitor. This model is as good as any reasonable cost colorimeter out there. It works on my DELL laptop and on a Samsung monitor I have so one can use this on a variety of monitors/video cards.

Best regards,
    Tom

9. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Isabel95,

If you are looking for truly solid advice, products and help, you might talk with Sherman on extension 5390 at B&H. Sherman is honest and extremely knowledegeable. He does print himself using an Epson printer. If he cannot help you, he will get you to someone who will help you.

Best regards,
    Tom

10. isabel95

Your response is one reason why I asked for input here...

Through the years I have bought different white balance devices and in general find them too cumbersome and intrusive to use when the photo op arises. As you know, some of these accessories can be pretty pricey.

In a perfect world where one has lots of time to set things up, I'm sure they help.

I have had mixed results with the Whibal cards and still wind up moving sliders in ACR to get the color I want.

Color interpretation is very subjective!

I just wish Oly hadn't done such a great job in tuning its in-camera jpg production. It's ruined me for other cameras!

Isabel

11. isabel95

Thank you, Tom

I will keep Sherman in mind.
    Isabel

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'm pretty happy with the colors of the GH2. Plus, there's nothing that a quick adjustment in LR won't resolve, even for JPG files.

Also, you can replicate "Olympus colors" by increasing the saturation on the settings. However, even when I'm shooting JPG's, I leave most settings alone and just deal with those issues in LR.

13. isabel95

Thanks - that's encouraging

Maybe I'm all worked up about nothing, before the camera is here - I just know what I have to deal with with the LX3.

The sensor in the GH2 is different.

Isabel

14. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Isabel95,

I suspect you may be a bit worked up. I print jpegs regularly with an Epson 2880. My color has been truly quite good. Also, I print a fair amount of close-up stuff with some odd lighting and I am very satisfied with the output of my GH2. I am not an Oly user so I cannot compare, but I did avoid buying the LX3 because I felt this was not up to the output I was seeking. This is very different with the GH2.

Best regards,
    Tom