1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

X-Pro 1, $1700 M9 alternative?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by noelh, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Alternative to M9 at ~1/4 cost?
    Alternative to the GX-1 at 3x the cost?
    Time will tell.

Initial feelings are I want one. Ergonomics & features in what I was dreaming the GF-1 would have evolved into. 3 relatively fast prime lens adds to the GAS.
    The non-Bayer color filter array is interesting. X-mount specific lens is a bit of a negative, but it sounds like Fuji is releasing an adapter. Time to wait and see what the pros say about this camera.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    X100, $1200 X1 alternative?

lol, Fuji seems to be the new "affordable" Leica alternative these days (affordable in quotes, because it's affordable compared to Leica but expensive compared to everybody else). Maybe next we'll see Fujinon lenses in place of Voigtlander. ;)

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I thought about one, but pesonally can't justify the cost yet, especially with possibly slow AF.

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I pre-ordered the XP1, but I really don't see it as a M9 alternative. IF the XP1 had a full frame sensor, it would have been a different story. But with the crop factor, it's more of an alternative to the M8 than anything else. So the $1700 body only is not that far off from used M8 prices of about $2000 - 2500.

At the end of the day, the M9 will outresolve the XP1 at base ISO. The XP1 will probably spank the M9 for image quality at ISO 800 and above.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'll get one as well. But it won't be a replacement for my M9. While the cosmetics, handling and viewfinder position are the same, there are too many differences.

A rangefinder is a rangefinder. It's a unique way of focusing and sticking a Leica lens on a Fuji with an adaptor won't be the same thing. Not to mention lenses won't respond the same way and that the M9 is CCD and the Fuji is CMOS.

However the Fuji will have it's own advantages. Significantly better high ISO (if it's anything like the X100), AF when you need it, zoom and macro lenses and a TTL flash system worth having. It doesn't need to be compared to other cameras. In time other cameras will be compared to it. I'd let it stand on its own merits.

The GX 1 will be smaller, lighter, cheaper and have better AF (if reports on the web are to be believed). video should also be superior to both the others.

Three good cameras.

Gordon

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I can't justify the cost either but if I'm honest, I have to admit that if I really wanted one, I'd have probably found a way. But bottom line, as much as I love my X100, I don't really want that type of camera as my "system" camera. I love using an OVF as a change of pace but I usually shoot without a viewfinder. I'd love the low light performance, but my X100 and GXR 28 give me all the low light capability I need in my most used focal lengths. And I expect the OMD is gonna come pretty close for other focal lengths. I like the deliberate type of shooting and AF the X100 encourages, but for my primary camera I want something with faster reflexes, which the X-Pro may or may not have, but which current m43 bodies have in spades. So I'm sticking with m43 as my system with a few other cams for specific uses and to provide that variety that we all know is the spice of life.

I bet it'll be nice though... :cool:

-Ray

7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    My ideal is to have one system that can cover all the bases for me, yet remain relatively compact as a system. M43 can't (yet) do that, so this camera and the Nex 7 are candidates. I like a lot of things about both.

The new Olympus appears to be very well thought-out, and versatile. The price surprised me too. But if I stay with M43 in some role, it will likely be a smaller model.

It may well be that I cannot escape having two cameras. Oh well.

8. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

It's not even a poor man's M9.

With an M adapter, a reasonable substitute for the flawed M8, perhaps. Or a "cheap" second body to an M9. But the M9 scores much higher because it is full frame and obtains the full angle of view of Leica M mount wide angle lenses.

Apparently the body is made by the same contractor that made the Contax G1/G2, Hasselblad XPan I and II (Fujifilm TX-1 and TX-2), Konica Hexar AF and RF and most of Fujifilm's medium format cameras with non-interchangeable lenses, and currently makes the Fujifilm X10 and X100.

So it will be well made. I suppose it could be a digital equivalent of a Contax G1/G2. Not quite as good as a Leica, but good enough for many.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Like it or not, Fuji is laughing all the way to the bank

10. Prior to the X100, Fuji went totally under my radar. I assumed they were just another maufacturer of cheap compacts and superzoom bridge cameras.

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What qualifies a camera as an alternative?

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes the XP1 is a Leica alternative in terms of:
    • Looks
    • Size
    • Simple, direct controls
    • Appealing primes
    • Use of OVF with brightlines

Not a Leica alternative in terms of:
    • Rangefinder manual focus system
    • Use of M lenses
    • Full frame sensor
    • Lens options
    • Leica name

For me, the fact that the Fuji is an autofocus camera makes it a completely different (and more appealing) option than Leica M. On the other hand, the size and weight make it less appealing (to me) than MFTs.

13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exactly my point Amin.... Its hard to have this discussion if one doesnt or cannot quantify exactly what they are measuring against....

BTW.... if it has a shoe, there is nothing stopping one from using an OVF.... SLR too.. albeit it may be silly to some

14. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    When you set the camera down next to a pair of speakers, they play Nirvana instead of Pearl Jam.