www.stephanetaco.com. 100% m4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Steph, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    • Like Like x 4
  2. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    I've got some suggestions, some of them probably rather nit picky.

1. Have you tried Supersized? - it works pretty much the same way as FancyBox but takes up the whole page. Supersized - Full Screen Background Slideshow jQuery Plugin

2. To maximize real estate and for clearer hierarchy/ease of use and all around good looks, the navigation bar should be horizontal along the top. Boxes are archaic in internet years and IMO look amateur or unprofessional. I would also lower the text size in the navigation to give each word a little more breathing room and to look more professional.

3. The background is unnecessary and sometimes distracting or crowded. It doesn't allow the photos to speak for themselves and lets us see the black bars from photos that don't fit all the way to the top and bottom. I think a plain white background would best give the photos the attention they deserve.

4. The fade out time between photos feels rushed.

5. Apparently, surfer girls are all really good looking.

6. Some of the sub categories in the nav bar don't need to be there and just add an extra step and a moment of thinking something is broken for the user.

7. the line width for the text in the About section is a little long. 66 characters should be the maximum line width and right now it's somewhere in the 70s. It's small I know but is something usually felt and not really seen. I would start a new line after the word "photographer" or "specializing". I would also place the text underneath the photo aligned to the left.

that's what I think. I think you're a great photographer that deserves a great website.

• Like Like x 2
  3. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    strike that last part, I think you're right in putting the text next to the photo.

4. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Wow thanks! :thumbup:

5. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Some really good stuff there. And it shows that grain/noise, in color is not always "bad".

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Love your work, Stephane.

Josh makes excellent points all around. I particularly agree with his point about some of the subcategories. For the categories which need subcategories, I would have the subcategories showing from the beginning - less clicking to do.

I'm not sure I agree with substituting a white background for the black. I think a dark background works well.

7. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    A good start...

I like some of it and some of it is hard for me to navigate on my Ipad. The menu could use some help. I can't see an obvious way to return "Home" from an individual image when viewing images in sub menus. Sometimes the banner menu just goes away in my Ipad Safari browser.

I like your images. Keep working on it and keep evolving and improving. Nice start!

Dan

8. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

9. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David