WW2 Kodachrome Photos

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Wasabi Bob, May 28, 2014.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Never realized that Kodachrome was available in large format sizes. Many years ago I shot 4x5 format, but it was always B&W.
    Here's a link to some incredible photos that have withstood the passage of time. Yet another example of why we need to print our photos. In 60 years who will be able to read SD cards, CD or DVD's?

Hope you enjoy these!
    • Like Like x 4
  2. desmoface

desmoface Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Those are incredible, thanks for sharing.

3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Nice propaganda shots.

I'll bet the camera was built like the Grant tank pictured in photo #18. :2thumbs:
  4. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    They are wonderful shots. Reminds me of the phrase "Kodachrome brings out the colors"
  5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Absolutely stunning assembly! Wish I could examine to prints. Thanks for posting. Last year I passed on a 100-200 count, heavily waterproofed WWII military pack of 8x10 Kodachrome film which was given to me a decade ago. That package looked like it could have floated all the way to the Pacific Theater of Operations in tact.
  6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Many of these were previously compiled into a book. I am not at home at present and I cannot recall the title, but I do have a copy. You may also want to see the images I linked to in this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=64423 .

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    That's a really nice set of photos. Of course, while nicely composed and well lit, the extremely limited dynamic range makes them virtually useless for any serious application ;)