WTF, MPB?

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Sorry for bringing this, by now, almost a year old topic back up, but I just wanted to share my experience with MPB:

Selling the gear
I sold four items, two cameras, two lenses. While I don't fully babysit my stuff, I'm still rather careful with it. However over the years some scratches and dents sometimes can't be prevented. You'll have to rate your gear yourself when selling to MPB, I rated the two bodies and a lens with a "Good" condition, I was torn between "Good" and "Excellent", but went for a more conservative rating. One lens was barely used and just bought earlier this year, I rated that one as "Excellent". The process was simple, I got my quotes instantly, filled in my details and waited for the shipping label. A quick tip: Check how many packages you need prior sending off the sale request - as you can select how many packages you're going to send and MPB will cover you with multiple labels if you need them.

Shipping and processing
The first hickup happened with DHL, as my shipment was sitting idle for whole two days at a depot. Once it arrived at MPB, I quickly got a confirmation from them, telling me they received my package and will contact me soon. They did a few days later with an apology, stating they are very busy and they'd need "a few more days" until they can process my selling request. It took about five additional business days before I got an e-mail about their final rating of my gear.

Payment
To my relieve they actually upped my rating on three items: All "Good" ratings have been improved to "Excellent" directly from MPB without myself ever contacting them. Secretly I hoped they might do so, but I've seen completely different behaviors from other resellers. The "Excellent" lens kept its rating. However the price didn't change that much, it was a total of about EUR 80 which I got from the improved rating. I accepted the deal and entered my payment details - here is another quick tip:
Once MPB receives your items, you'll get a mail suggesting you can already enter the payment details upfront, however that means, if their rating matches yours, you are agreeing more or less in advance, I refused doing so and wanted to wait for their final offer.
It took two business days from agreement to the money being booked on my bank account.

Conclusion
In conclusion I am happy with the whole process. Keep in mind I'm talking about MPB's new German business division based in Berlin - that might also explain the delay in processing my gear: Berlin and Brandenburg still having summer school holidays and employees of many companies are on vacation. However once rated, the process and payment was very fast and simple. Just to give you an idea what they paid:
  • Olympus Pen-F, more than five years old, over 16.000 clicks, just a small dent on the lower right corner of the body: EUR 590
  • Olympus E-M1 Mark I, more than six years old, also around 16.000 clicks, some minor scratches on the body: EUR 205
  • Olympus 12-40 Pro, bundled with the E-M1, so six years old, again some very minor scratches on the body, with the glass being in great condition: EUR 355
  • Olympus 17 Pro, showcase unit from a local camera store, bought this year, no visible wear outside, no scratches on the glass: EUR 570
The E-M1 was most surprising, as even used units in decent condition are sold for just around EUR 200 on ebay - so this was an amazing deal. The 12-40 Pro was fairly reasonable, the Pen-F and the f1.2 Pro prime.... not quite so much. On ebay I could've got somewhere around EUR 650-700 for the lens, for the Pen-F 650-800. The later really depends on how much a person with an avid interest is looking for one, in all cases you'll have to pay ebay fees too, which lower your profits a bit.

The primary reason I went with MPB instead of selling them on my own is mosty due to convenience: I got scammed via Paypal once, when the buyer filed a complaint stating the package he received had the wrong item. Which wasn't the case, however since I couldn't proof it and the price wasn't worth the trouble, I accepted the loss. Paypal is fairly strict, which is great if you are the buyer, but as a seller it's troublesome. Another time I dealt with complains about a faulty item which was clearly working before I sent it off, in a case in which I ultimately agreed on a small discount to avoid a poor rating.
Another option would've been selling on ebay Kleinanzeigen (a German, ebay-run counterpart of Craigslist), however in my experience you often deal with insulting, unreliable and toxic people, either offering absurdly low prices or simply don't appear after agreeing on a sale.

So dealing with MPB, as a reselling company specialized in photographic equipment with a decent reputation, was a very compelling option I wanted to try. In conclusion I can recommend them and will absolutely contact them again in the future.

Real Name
Henrik
I've both bought and sold from MPB Germany (I'm located in Sweden) and can 100% recommend them. Definitely their own staff in customer service and sales, and they are quick to respond.

After Brexit I find they hold the MPB UK store stock separately than the MPB EU (Berlin) store - I have been looking at maybe buying a 2nd X100S/T original leather case and while it has appeared 3 times in the UK (email notifications, verified by myself) it has yet to appear in the EU store. I have not yet tried to buy from the UK after Brexit - has any other EU member tried?

Projectdb

Mu-43 Rookie
Sorry for bringing this, by now, almost a year old topic back up, but I just wanted to share my experience with MPB:

Selling the gear
I sold four items, two cameras, two lenses. While I don't fully babysit my stuff, I'm still rather careful with it. However over the years some scratches and dents sometimes can't be prevented. You'll have to rate your gear yourself when selling to MPB, I rated the two bodies and a lens with a "Good" condition, I was torn between "Good" and "Excellent", but went for a more conservative rating. One lens was barely used and just bought earlier this year, I rated that one as "Excellent". The process was simple, I got my quotes instantly, filled in my details and waited for the shipping label. A quick tip: Check how many packages you need prior sending off the sale request - as you can select how many packages you're going to send and MPB will cover you with multiple labels if you need them.

Shipping and processing
The first hickup happened with DHL, as my shipment was sitting idle for whole two days at a depot. Once it arrived at MPB, I quickly got a confirmation from them, telling me they received my package and will contact me soon. They did a few days later with an apology, stating they are very busy and they'd need "a few more days" until they can process my selling request. It took about five additional business days before I got an e-mail about their final rating of my gear.

Payment
To my relieve they actually upped my rating on three items: All "Good" ratings have been improved to "Excellent" directly from MPB without myself ever contacting them. Secretly I hoped they might do so, but I've seen completely different behaviors from other resellers. The "Excellent" lens kept its rating. However the price didn't change that much, it was a total of about EUR 80 which I got from the improved rating. I accepted the deal and entered my payment details - here is another quick tip:
Once MPB receives your items, you'll get a mail suggesting you can already enter the payment details upfront, however that means, if their rating matches yours, you are agreeing more or less in advance, I refused doing so and wanted to wait for their final offer.
It took two business days from agreement to the money being booked on my bank account.

Conclusion
In conclusion I am happy with the whole process. Keep in mind I'm talking about MPB's new German business division based in Berlin - that might also explain the delay in processing my gear: Berlin and Brandenburg still having summer school holidays and employees of many companies are on vacation. However once rated, the process and payment was very fast and simple. Just to give you an idea what they paid:
  • Olympus Pen-F, more than five years old, over 16.000 clicks, just a small dent on the lower right corner of the body: EUR 590
  • Olympus E-M1 Mark I, more than six years old, also around 16.000 clicks, some minor scratches on the body: EUR 205
  • Olympus 12-40 Pro, bundled with the E-M1, so six years old, again some very minor scratches on the body, with the glass being in great condition: EUR 355
  • Olympus 17 Pro, showcase unit from a local camera store, bought this year, no visible wear outside, no scratches on the glass: EUR 570
The E-M1 was most surprising, as even used units in decent condition are sold for just around EUR 200 on ebay - so this was an amazing deal. The 12-40 Pro was fairly reasonable, the Pen-F and the f1.2 Pro prime.... not quite so much. On ebay I could've got somewhere around EUR 650-700 for the lens, for the Pen-F 650-800. The later really depends on how much a person with an avid interest is looking for one, in all cases you'll have to pay ebay fees too, which lower your profits a bit.

The primary reason I went with MPB instead of selling them on my own is mosty due to convenience: I got scammed via Paypal once, when the buyer filed a complaint stating the package he received had the wrong item. Which wasn't the case, however since I couldn't proof it and the price wasn't worth the trouble, I accepted the loss. Paypal is fairly strict, which is great if you are the buyer, but as a seller it's troublesome. Another time I dealt with complains about a faulty item which was clearly working before I sent it off, in a case in which I ultimately agreed on a small discount to avoid a poor rating.
Another option would've been selling on ebay Kleinanzeigen (a German, ebay-run counterpart of Craigslist), however in my experience you often deal with insulting, unreliable and toxic people, either offering absurdly low prices or simply don't appear after agreeing on a sale.

So dealing with MPB, as a reselling company specialized in photographic equipment with a decent reputation, was a very compelling option I wanted to try. In conclusion I can recommend them and will absolutely contact them again in the future.

Nice informative post. I've had very similar experiences with the U.S. branch. I buy and sell with them relatively frequently and have only had good experiences.

When buying, the items have always met or exceeded my expectations based on the condition they've post and I've generally found the prices to be similar to the average eBay price without the hassle (was just scammed on a 8-18 on eBay which would have only saved me about 40$ over the MPB price. It resulted in 3 weeks of hassle and a police report to get a refund).

When selling, I've found that the offer is always 65% of what they sell for (like to like condition), so without even filling out a quote it's easy to figure out what they'll offer. The transactions have been seamless on that end as well. The one time I did need to reach out to customer service because I had two different quotes open and printed the wrong label with a reference to an older quote, they resolved it over chat in about 5 minutes.

I'm actually packaging up 4 lenses to send off to them today as I didn't want to hassle with ebay.

They offered 590$ for a Panasonic 45-175, Panasonic 20, Olympus 45, and Olympus 14-150 II for reference. I know I could put them on eBay and come out ahead of that by a couple hundred, but time is money and the extra time, inconvenience and risk isn't worth it to me.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I've still not sold them anything. I ended up selling said G-7 on this forum. I sold an FZ-70 to Robert's Camera for more than MPB offered with no concerns.

I did, however, buy a Sony SLT-A65 body from MPB. It wouldn't take an SD card. After a couple days of sending emails I got out a light and a magnifying glass, only to find a piece of a card from some previous user stuck in there. I was able to fish it out, there's a post around here somewhere about the whole thing. I ended up keeping the body but it left me wondering if they broke the card during testing, or if it was even tested at all. Based on that experience I will limit my purchases from them to lower cost items. Anything high-dollar will be held in hand or not purchased. I know not everyone has that option, I am fortunate to have an established camera shop nearby.

Anything high-dollar will be held in hand or not purchased. I know not everyone has that option, I am fortunate to have an established camera shop nearby.
Reading through all the comments I feel it seems the US branch is not up to the same standards as the old world branches

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Reading through all the comments I feel it seems the US branch is not up to the same standards as the old world branches
Or maybe just a bit of bad luck. The first time I think it was me being overly suspicious. The second time is on them.

Having said that, I do not think I was speaking with someone in the US when I called. I think there's a call center and you get who you get.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
no idea but I chatted with the same two persons over multiple days - the chat window reappeared and carried on the chat from where we left it days before
I am fairly certain chat and phone calls are handled by two different groups in their world. I chatted with the same person from the outset as well, but as soon as I asked for a phone call it changed to "one of my colleagues", which left me starting from scratch. When I asked if I could speak with that same person directly my request was denied.

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
I am in the process of selling a Sony a77, a vertical grip, and a Tamron superzoom lens to MPB U.S. The quote is about 65% of resale value but the free shipping helps as does the convenience of not having to try to sell the gear on ebay. I have my eyes on a couple of lenses they have in stock and will use the money from the sale towards at least one of those, likely the Panasonic 14-140II. I have heard generally positive things about them so I hope everything goes smoothly.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom