WTF, MPB?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I haven't had any luck selling my G7 so I offered it up to MPB. They made a very reasonable offer, almost too much. I was a bit concerned they were quoting high and would end up offering less once the gear was in their hands. I also had a few questions and had been corresponding via email with one of their people, not sure if it was CS or sales. Anyway, instead of all the back and forth via email, I asked if there was a phone number I could call to discuss with him direct, and he said:

"I'm going to struggle to get to the phone today, but you can happily give us a call on +1 646-513-4309 and my colleagues will be able to answer any questions you have!

I can also happily get straight back to you over email too, if you would like to send over your questions!"

After reading that I feel like I had been communicating with a call center, and more than likely not someone directly at MPB. I told him to forget it. Another issue was that I sent them a handful of filters for quote and they didn't quote. When I asked they said they don't deal in filters. Really? Your website says you do. I know some of you have dealt with them before, have you ever spoken to someone there in person?

Is it possible I got hooked up with a scam site? Maybe my quote request was intercepted? That could be why the offer was so high, in an attempt to entice me. also the filter thing.

Weird.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
I think they are an international company. UK based? No evidence, but my perception is the US address is just a shell??

I find their buying prices sometimes higher but certainly slower response than Keh. Having said that, I just shipped a sigma 60 mm lens to them. So I certainly hope it gets there OK!

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I’ve never dealt with MPB, however, I can’t see much wrong with their response to be honest.

They may prefer communication by email. As a business, so do I - everything’s written down and I don’t get bogged down in conversation when I’m trying to do stuff like getting my post ready for the courier to collect.

Last edited:

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I wouldn't be surprised if they had outsourced their customer service to a generic 3rd party company. More and more companies are trying to enter the surprisingly lucrative "as new with out warranty"-market and they all not only have to compete against each other with their selling prices, but also to get their equipment in the first place, they'll have to cut costs one way or another.
Personally I never dealt with MPB, as they are rather unknown here in Germany, however from what I gathered MPB seems to be fairly reliable not only for buyers, but sellers too.

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I can only talk of my experience of MPB in the UK, but it has been great. I've sold several cameras and lenses to them over the years and as a rule of thumb they tend to offer about 65% of their selling price. I've generally received higher offers from MPB than from other UK camera dealers and it saves the hassle/risks of Ebay. In the UK I can recommend them.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I wouldn't be surprised if they had outsourced their customer service to a generic 3rd party company.

That's a possibility for a very large company dealing only in new equipment. I doubt it's the case with MPB.

It takes years to acquire enough product knowledge to effectively answer customer service queries on (often) secondhand and (often) vintage equipment.

I still get the odd email/phone call from a colleague who trades in 70s and 80s cameras - mostly for names of obscure accessories. My years at Jessops filled my small brain with product codes and system diagrams.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I’ve never dealt with MPB, however, I can’t see much wrong with their response to be honest.

They may prefer communication by email. As a business, so do I - everything’s written down and I don’t get bogged down in conversation when I’m trying to do stuff like getting my post ready for the courier to collect.
The problem is, I had been dealing with this same person for 2 days via email, trying to sort out their missing quotes for some of my gear, not quoting things that they said they do because they "Don't deal in those", and just general information. When I asked to speak to the guy, he pawns me off on whoever answers the phone. I guess if you're comfortable with that, it's up to you. Me, I expect to speak to the same guy. I don't want to rehash everything up to this point. No dice.

Hmm, I recently had 2 very-very positive experiences with MPB UK and on both occasions I was talking to the same two persons on their online-chat platform over multiple days. Since my English is way better in written form, I preferred this way to talk to them along the automated quotes I had in email. Through the same online-chat, we also happily and hastily resolved the issue of the not working charger that came with the immaculate X100T I originally got from them (“recycle it while we send you a new one - free shipping”).

MPB UK, upon receiving my stuff, even paid more over their quote on the 30/1.4 on the grounds they found it “Like new” instead of my “Excellent” estimation on which their original quoting was based on. Similarly, they paid less for my 14-42Rii & 19/2.8 finding them “Good” instead of my “Excellent” - overall, I got more than my original quote.

Just to see what happens, I did not take off the cheap Hoya UV(C) filter I had on the 14-42Rii.
No word at all from them on that filter and it never appeared on their site to be sold as well.

Last edited:

AMcUK

Mu-43 Regular
The problem is, I had been dealing with this same person for 2 days via email, trying to sort out their missing quotes for some of my gear, not quoting things that they said they do because they "Don't deal in those", and just general information. When I asked to speak to the guy, he pawns me off on whoever answers the phone. I guess if you're comfortable with that, it's up to you. Me, I expect to speak to the same guy. I don't want to rehash everything up to this point. No dice.
Lots of companies in the UK are currently operating a socially distanced office which means a bare bones in the office and everyone else is home working.
For security reasons lots of those companies aren't able to accept incoming calls - as the workers are at home - and many aren't able to make outgoing business calls either.
I have a good friend who works for a government dept. usually he handles calls all day but since lock down he has only been able to work remotely on email and secure messenger.

The US definitely have staff as they feature in MPB's regular email.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Lots of companies in the UK are currently operating a socially distanced office which means a bare bones in the office and everyone else is home working.
For security reasons lots of those companies aren't able to accept incoming calls - as the workers are at home - and many aren't able to make outgoing business calls either.
I have a good friend who works for a government dept. usually he handles calls all day but since lock down he has only been able to work remotely on email and secure messenger.

The US definitely have staff as they feature in MPB's regular email.
Great explanation had it come from them. I work in a multinational corporation that is going through the same issues, yet we continue to operate seamlessly. Poor CS is poor CS.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
OK, I just successfully concluded a sale to MPB. But here's something I didn't understand -- they seem to only do payment routing, and they want my bank account and routing number. Not sure I'm loving that.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
For years, I have been buying archery equipment from a u.k. online company. I had been told that it was staffed by men with beards who never spoke on the phone. Good service and prices from them.

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
I did a trade with MPB from an Oly 7-14mm to a Panasonic 8-18mm. Other than the usual thoughts of feeling like I didn't get enough for the Oly and paid too much for the Panasonic, the entire transaction went smoothly. The difference between my experience and the OP's is that I quoted everything online and did everything through email -- no surprises. If the OP sent along extra stuff without declaring it on the website first, I can see how there might be confusion.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I did a trade with MPB from an Oly 7-14mm to a Panasonic 8-18mm. Other than the usual thoughts of feeling like I didn't get enough for the Oly and paid too much for the Panasonic, the entire transaction went smoothly. The difference between my experience and the OP's is that I quoted everything online and did everything through email -- no surprises. If the OP sent along extra stuff without declaring it on the website first, I can see how there might be confusion.
I didn't send them anything. I should've said sent quote requests for filters.

AlterKnabe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Walter
My experience with mpb UK was good.
I only sold to mpb, not bought there. The offers were always so much higher than the offers at local stores, so my efforts paid off.

Before I send something in, I offer it on their homepage. So I quickly got the information that there is no interest for the analog Nikon I offered.
If mpb is interested in buying, I will receive an offer by email. If I accept it, I will receive a sticker by email for free shipping with UPS.

Once I received a lens back, previously announced, that allegedly had fungus.
Once the first offered price was slightly reduced. If I had not agreed to this, I would have got the item back.
After we agreed, the money was quickly on my account afterwards.

Once I called the hotline; it was busy. But 15 minutes later I was called back unsolicited.

All in all I have done well with mpb so far.

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
OK, I just successfully concluded a sale to MPB. But here's something I didn't understand -- they seem to only do payment routing, and they want my bank account and routing number. Not sure I'm loving that.

I understand the sentiments about sharing bank information. Routing numbers/sort codes/account numbers are written on every check/cheque. There's not much you can do with that information on its own, other than pay money in.

In the UK there is/was an exception. You 'could' use that info to set up a direct debit on someone's account (something that happened to Jeremy Clarkson when he famously published his sort code and account number along with a comment along the lines of "what could possibly go wrong?") - a feature that I'm not entirely sure is still possible.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
I have had experience with MPB when I sold all my Nikon gear late last year. Their offers to buy was far better than other similar US based companies. The transaction was pretty seamless and I had no issues with their operation.

As for them being a UK based company I thought that was common knowledge.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom