WTF? A Messerschmitt?

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by chicks, Apr 24, 2012.

1. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Having just received a refurb'd Oly 40-150mm yesterday, I was determined to capture me an F-16 on the way home. Cal-Guard does touch-and-go's routinely at the airfield near my job, and I had my spot picked out.

Imagine my surprise when these two planes appeared out of nowhere. These are literally the first shots taken with this lens - a good, if slightly fuzzy, beginning. :)

Messerschmitt Me-262 (replica, surely)

You don't see U2's every day

• Like Like x 11
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Where do you work? That U2 looks to be a trainer, may have been handed off to a university or research facility (ala JPL or equal). The Me 262 may just be a bit rarer to see in flight than a U2 ... but to see them together is pretty good (there goes your chances on winning the lotto). I know that The Planes of Fame (an air museum), keeps most of their planes in flight worthy condition. The Planes of Fame in Chino has a Me 262 ... but on the same day ... maybe it's for some cable channel ... I'd call up the public affairs person at the airport and ask them "What's up?".

G

3. A 262, wow! I wonder how many of them exist today.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  5. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    I'm near Mather Field, formerly Mather AFB, east of Sacramento. The Me-262 may be the Collings Foundation's, hopefully practicing for the upcoming season. The U2's fly (flew?) out of Beale AFB, a few miles north of here. Not sure about this one.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    ... so Chicks you work anywhere near:

10728 36th Place West
    Building 221, Bay 3
    Everett, WA 98204 ?

You beat me to a reply.

G

7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for sharing the picture of the 262. 2 seat trainer version with the birdcage canopy is even rarer, I think. :thumbup:

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    At my first "real" job out of college, I did see a U2 every day. I could set my watch by it. Everyday at 11am on the nose.

9. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    When my son was younger, he was totally obsessed with WWII planes, so I know a bit about them by proxy. We spent a weekend in Chino, mostly at the Planes of Fame - an amazing place.

We witnessed an old timer getting a ride in a P-51 for his 80th b'day. He was grinning from ear to ear when the ride was over.

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Awesome!! I love the 262. Do y'all think there might be an operational 163 somewhere in the world?

• Like Like x 1
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I like Chino because the planes get flown. So when one returns to the airport for another shoot, the planes are in different positions in the hangers, which in turn, generates different lighting on the planes.

What I think is cool is seeing museum pieces, (like a Zero or a Corsair), with oil drip pans under them because they fly.

Hey Chicks, here a link to my Chino stuff:
    Planes o' Fame

Gary

• Like Like x 2
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A Komet ... the rocket plane ... I thought most of those crashed.

G

• Like Like x 1
  13. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Beautiful shots, thanks! Especially like the turbine detail. So much to learn from you experts about taking great shots like these...

14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 1
  15. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Let's hope for everybody's safety that there is not a airworthy ME163 that is permitted to fly anywhere in the world. :smile:

From the history books the Germans learned very quickly to instigate a procedure where the fuel tankers carrying the 2 different fuels were not allowed on the same tarmac area at the same time due to constant explosions.

Imagine in this day and age of safety and regulation requesting permission to fly something that had an endurance of 4 minutes, had a climb rate of more than 30,000 feet / minute, ejected it's dolly wheels once airborne, landed on a skid and had a probable chance of exploding on landing!!

Great concept, but extremely volatile stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If it's not already finished, then there is an Fw190A-5 that's in the process of becoming air worthy :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Ah, man, I love that 262 (and the U2 isn't so shabby)!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Read somewhere a long time ago how the chemicals used as fuel for the 163 were so corrosive that a pilot's lower part of the body dissolved when there was a fuel leak, and he was trapped inside the cockpit! Loved reading about war related stuff as a kid, particularly about planes, ships and tanks.

19. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Me too! I was addicted to those Time-Life books on WW II when I was a kid (now that I think about it, I may have to do an ebay search for the series).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Me 262/2 is not real, nor are any of the other 262's around, all replicas!