1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[EXPIRED] WTB: Cheap P&S camera

Discussion in 'Expired Listings' started by apicius9, Feb 22, 2011.

1. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hi,

I need a simple, used but functional P&S camera that I can keep in my wood shop to take snapshots of the pieces I am working on for my customers. Something better than an Iphone, but way below an LX5 (in quality or price). I just don't want to shlepp my m4/3 gear in and out there and I have given away all my older cameras...

- minimum of 1600x1200 jpgs
    - does close-ups or 'macros'
    - a little bit of zoom (3-4x)
    - has a charger and a functional battery
    - ideally something that is a bit more robust (dusty environment)
    - I have tungsten light there, so some kind of WB adjustment would be great
    - takes SD cards and/or has USB port (to download on Ipad)

I think almost every camera built after 2005 should have those requirements... Scratches etc are no problem as long as they are not on the lens or on the screen. Hoping to stay at around $50-70, anything Lumix preferred. Please let me know what you have. I am also open for trading one of my legacy lenses for a camera.

Stefan

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

0   0   0

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Take a shot at Craig's List .. you'll probably find one which meets a your requirements.

3. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks, I didn't see much there over the last 2 weeks. I know people here treat their gear right, so I wanted to check here before I go to the auction sites.

Stefan

4. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

0   0   0

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 for my daughter. I paid 250 but the price has dropped quite a bit and they are around 200 now. Takes good pics and the 12X zoom is very cool.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

Aug 9, 2010
    I second the Panasonic SZ7 (or ZS3 if you can find it). Nice all around P&S. Another good option are the Fuji F series. They're small and do pretty well in low light.

6. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

0   0   0

I would reconsider the iPhone 4, because for the price of a phone you get a camera thrown in for free. It is not your grandaddy's toy. It sport a 5-megapixel still camera, Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio, tap to focus and a led flash built in. Jarvis Chase did a who art book, "The Best Camera", with images he took with the iPhone and it is extremely impressive.

7. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks, I bought a ZS3 for my Dad a while ago and liked it, but it's not what I was looking for right now. And I have the Iphone 3Gs, decided to wait what the Iphone 5 looks like and then make up my mind...

Here is another thought, though: I would trade a like-new black G1 body for a LX3 in good shape. They should come in at around the same value, I hope. I would also consider a LX5 or a S95 plus some reasonable payment for the G1. Anybody interested in that?

Just to explain: I sold my LX3, bought a G1 as a second body - found that I haven't needed a second body since, and I miss the LX3. The G1 has less than 50 pics taken with it, bought through Amazon.

Stefan

8. sblehm

sblehm Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Aug 28, 2010
    I can tell you are looking more for a Panasonic, but I would consider trading an extra Canon sd780 is + cash for the G1. Is that a G1 body only?