1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wrist strap recommendations please

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DynaSport, Sep 4, 2013.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I am looking for a wrist strap for my G5. I haven't ever used one, but I don't like neck straps and end up wrapping them around my wrist for a little security when I am holding the camera so I thought an actual wrist strap would be better. I may add one to my Mini Pen as well.

What do you guys like?

Thanks

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wrist straps are all that I use anymore. I have a Gordy's strap on my E-PL3, but I find it a bit too narrow and that makes it less comfortable. I made a similar strap for my E-P3 by cutting a strip from an old leather belt and wrapping it with heavy cord - basically the same design as the Gordy's but wider and a bit heavier duty. :cool:

3. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I use the Sony version for the NEX on my G3. Very inexpensive, very comfortable and not as long as some of the others. Although I have also looking at the Peak Designs version but the strap just seems too long.

4. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I use an OP/TECH wrist strap. It's an interchangeable system with quick disconnect clips, so I can switch to a neck strap very easily (though I don't do it very often). The only downside is that the strap is neoprene, but I really don't notice that any more.

Here's the one I have: OP/TECH USA SLR Wrist Strap (Black) 6701062 B&H Photo Video

5. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    look at the add above this thread.

I bought a wrist strap from Dsptch and like it. It is made of the same material as the material that runs from a military parachute to the harness. I used to be a parachute rigger at the 82nd Abn., and this material will out last us. I almost don't know that I have it on, and it makes my camera safe to carry on the street with out fear of it dropping. Since I bought it I have not attached the neck strap onto my camera, though if I wanted to, it would be a snap to do so. I really mean a snap, as the connection between the camera and the wrist strap is held in place with the same connection, so you can simiply remove the neck strap and snap on the wrist strap. I liked it so much, that when I bought my second G3, I purchased a second wrist strap. Hope that helps.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

6. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I ended up with a Gariz Du&Dus wrist strap as I wanted something small, light and easily attached. I had their half case so figured it'd match. It does the job, though it's a bit small if you don't get it on at the right angle.

7. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    i haven't tried all the others mentioned in this thread, but I agree that the OP/TECH straps are good and priced well. I use one of their slings when I'm hiking, and one of their wrist straps when I'm in an urban place.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I have and use gordy's straps, but they are thinner and can get a bit sweaty. I've also used the op/tech straps - cheap and a nice little system, but they get even sweatier in warm weather! The strap I love the most though is the Cuff/leash system from peak design (Found Here). The material is light and the anchors are minimal - an overall excellent design. If you're willing to spend a little more than the op/tech straps cost and don't mind the less trendier look (over the gordy's straps) the Leash/Cuff strap is the best thing going.

9. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
  10. dw92688

dw92688 New to Mu-43

Feb 7, 2013
    I really liked my Gordy strap but found it uncomfortable and small when my hand swelled from arthritis. The Dsptch strap materials feel great and the design makes it very adjustable. Both are great but the Dsptch is what my hand likes.

11. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I just tried to order the Peak Design cuff, and it's on backorder with an estimated delivery date by the end of October! Oh well, I really like the system, but I wanted something before then.

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That is too bad! They have just been working on a re-design of the capture clip system (and added some go pro and other new mounts) so I'm guessing that is the cause for the delay - I was surprised they used kickstarter for their new re-design since you'd think they would have the capital to fund it themselves (both of their previous kickstarters were very successful on their own, for the original clip and for the leash/cuff).

13. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Did you check any of their vendors? They were back-ordered on the Peak Design website, but B&H or someone else might have them in stock. (I liked the looks of that one too.)

ETA: I just checked B&H and they have them in stock, but they're closed until Saturday for the holiday. But if they have them, another vendor may well have them also.

14. Edgar

Edgar New to Mu-43

Sep 4, 2013
    Go basic

I have the Peak Design cuff. It's very clever, but I found that the connector mechanism weighed it down too much and got in the way of using the camera.

I ended up settling on the most basic strap you can imagine. It does the job and am very happy with it -- I bought two. Several manufacturers make them. I got the Nikon...

Nikon AN-CP19 Strap

15. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I have a Gordy on my X100 and a Lance on my M5. Both recommended. The Lance is softer and a little larger. Both have a variety of colours.

16. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I second the Op-Tech SLR strap; very sturdy, very comfortable, easy to attach and detach.

17. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    +1

I use this along with the sling strap. I just unclip one and put on the other - wrist strap if I'm carrying a bag with lenses, etc. and the sling strap if its just the camera. Works great.

18. mblevins

mblevins Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    I have a Gordy's on my OMD. I was on a walking trip recently where I pretty much had it on there eight hours a day. The Gordy's strap digs into my wrist a little after an hour or so, I wore it over a wrist sweatband and that worked out fine.

19. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    Markins makes a great one. Very well built and very good looking.

20. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I've gone through a few and have settled on the dsptch. I also like their no-nonsense neck straps which use the same connectors. I got the neck strap in camo which looks pretty cool with my silver em5.