Wrist strap / hand strap: how do you carry your Pen?

robertro

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been experimenting a bit with how to carry my E-P1.

First, I used a neck strap, which felt a bit risky when entering/exiting cars, sitting down, etc.... a bit like a pendulum that might hit a hard object at any time.

Then I tried the cargo/jacket pocket....OK when I wear clothes with these features, but not too handy.

Now, I'm testing a hand strap, which has a plastic base that screws into the tripod socket, a strap that attatypoches to the eyelet on the right side, and a pad for cushioning the hand.... I like it, but it feels a bit bulky with a 1x8x3cm chunk of plastic under the camera. I'm looking for a low profile version.

I thought of trying a wrist strap, but they look a bit fragile.

Anyhow, I wondered what solutions you use to hand-carry your Pen?

Graham_of_Rainham

Mu-43 Regular
I've been experimenting a bit with how to carry my E-P1.
<snip>

I too have been playing with all sorts of different straps. Having big hands the PENs are a bit small for me, I have even made a grip (not very successfully), so I am very interested to see what others are using

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I use to use a Luigi Wrist Strap. I lost it sadly.
Now I use a Luigi thin neck strap. It's very soft and wraps around the wrist to make a nice wrist strap. They sell them on eBay.
I have a new Gordys wrist strap but I'm selling it cause I'm so used to Luigi's stuff....
Shooter

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I use a sling strap - sort of homemade with pieces of a few different ones I tried. Gordy's makes a REALLY nice leather one. Black Rapid makes good ones but they're kind of overkill for m43 sized cameras. Luma Labs makes a really nice one, but the strap itself is a bit overkill - the hardware is great though and can be used with a lighter weight strap. Mine is just a basic piece of one inch nylon webbing with a Luma Labs lanyard/buckle/tripod mount thingie at the camera end and a plastic buckle at the other end to hold it together. Very lightweight and secure.

I don't like wrist straps because then the camera is always in my hand. And I don't like standard neck straps because of the whole pendulum thing the OP mentioned. But a sling strap lets the camera ride at your hip, it doesn't swing around, it can be easily move to your back if you need to lean over, and its always at the ready to grab and pull up to face level. My S90 lives in my pocket and has a wrist strap just so I don't drop it when I'm shooting. Anything bigger goes on a sling strap.

-Ray

JoeFriday

Mu-43 Regular
I've used wrist straps almost exclusively for my Leicas, Contaxes and now my E-P2. Assuming you use a good quality strap, I wouldn't worry about it.

But on the occasions that I want to bring my camera and still have my hands free, I use a neck strap (which is my only other option), but it always seems to end up being used more as a sling strap. Ray S and I must think alike.. except he's way ahead of me. I should be looking for a good sling strap, apparently.

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
I use a wrist strap from my wii. They are sturdy and comfortable.

haha that's awsome, I built my own ghetto strap out of a snowboard boot quick lace... looks thin and flimsy but in reality it's strong enough to hold the weight of my body... the camera will rip apart long before the strap breaks.

RetroBoy

Mu-43 Regular
So, I take it no-one uses the neck strap that comes with the Pen?

I know I started to fit it, then realised it stuck up in the way of the buttons on the right side.

For now I'm using the wrist strap from my old Canon P&S, but I've ordered a couple of leather wrist straps.
When I get the VF2 I might go for a neck strap/sling, but as it is I need to hold the camera at nearly arms length in order for my eyes to focus on the lcd.

J. Allen

Mu-43 Regular
I use an old strap that came with my Leica minilux. It's a slim, nylon strap that is like a wrist strap that attaches to one side by looping it but is about 20 inches long. I tried different wrist straps and a neck strap that was too short. I don't like the metal eyelets used to attach the next strap.

Mogul

Mu-43 Regular
From https://www.mu-43.com/f67/strap-suggestions-24709/#post357590

I use a Black-Rapid RS-7 strap for all my cameras. It attaches to a special lug or tripod adapter, so I only had to buy one strap. Yes, they are expensive, but don't even think about buying a cheaper brand. This is a high quality product. BTW, I would only carry a bridge camera or an M43 by the tripod socket, never a regular DSLR.

Latest threads

Top Bottom