Wrist Strap for E-M5

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dealmtl, May 10, 2014.

1. dealmtl

dealmtl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2014
    TN USA
    I am looking for a nice wrist strap for my e-m5 with hld-6 grip, and I found these two straps on amazon.

OP/TECH USA SLR Wrist Strap http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00137NMMW
    1. wider (more comfortable?)
    2. elastic
    3. has a buckle for quick detachment

Joby JB01271-PWW DSLR Wrist Strap http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5JH9FU
    1. thin
    2. (IMO) maybe better looking on e-m5

I am considering to buy wrist strap since I usually wrap neck straps around my wrist instead of hanging camera around my neck. When I am not holding the camera, I put it in my bag. The wrist strap is just for preventing the camera falling from my hand and possibly providing some stability.
    It's really hard for me to decide between these two. I would appreciate if someone here could help me decide!
  2. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    For daily/light use, the thin one or any smaller wrist strap is a wise choice. Discreet and easily stowed away. Once again, light use.

BUT, the Optech option to detach and place a sling for all day/heavy use is a huge advantage. I personally used the Optech system with my EM5 but with a sling strap. Very functional and durable. When I was done shooting for the day, I just used the quick release and stowed the camera away in my everyday carry bag and left the sling on. I did this for my travels and I highly recommend it. The straps that go onto the lugs are super strong, I have the same system on my 5DMkIII with battery grip and 70-200 lens... Solid.

Both are quite affordable so get both if you can spare the coin.

Happy shooting!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Have a look at Gordy's and at Lance Camera straps. Both offer nice handmade wrist straps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dccase

dccase Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have the Joby and I like it. Small, light & comfortable, but feels plenty secure.
    The sliding mechanism tightens up by pulling, but it has a stop so it doesn't dig into your wrist.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I was doing the same thing with the neck strap around my wrist. I went with the Peak Design cuff and it's perfect for me. I got their "strap pack" bundle with the wrist and neck strap. The quick releases let me jump between the two, but I keep it on the wrist almost exclusively.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I use Gordy straps on my GH3 and GX7. Once the are broken in after a bit of use they are great. I have tried several padded fabric straps and found them to be uncomfortable after a bit of use - they all caused my wrist to become sweaty. When using my tripod with a quick release (Arca-Swiss type) I loop the wrist strap around the tripod head before mounting the camera. This gives a bit more security if I neglect to tighten the head clamp sufficiently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Big fan of that OpTech and the matching sling strap. I have the anchors on my cameras, and switch around the wrist and sling straps as needed.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have an Op-Tech sling and since it comes with a spare connector, I've attached that to a Gordy wrist strap. It's a great combo - sling when carrying lots of gear and wrist strap when going light; both connect with the snap connector.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I recently purchased the Peak Design Cuff and Leash. So far I'm happy with this combo.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dealmtl

dealmtl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2014
    TN USA
    Thanks for all your suggestions/experiences! I am not quite sure if a sling strap fits my need since I am using a sling bag. The design of Gordy strap is really attractive, but I am trying to avoid using leather products... I think I will give both op-tech and joby straps a try and perhaps I can find the use of both ;)
    It seems Peak Design Cuff is a good choice too!
  11. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    This is the one I use, albeit on my PL5 (although I have used it with a heavier kit such as PL5 + VF2 + 75mm F1.8). Real soft leather, very comfortable, simple, looks elegant, and most importantly, does the job well. I even had an experience once where I did accidentally release my camera from my grip and the strap completely saved it from falling to the ground. Now I never use my camera without it attached to my wrist. I removed the accessories at the end, as well as the sheath that covers the screw bolts (I personally like the look with the bolts, and its less bulky). I have the black one, but most likely will get the brown one as well. Even though they are from China, they do not feel cheap at all, and the leather is of good quality. Best $5 I ever spent on an accessory:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    A second vote for Peak Design. I love the quick switch capabilities.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TransientEye

TransientEye Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2013
    I give another vote for the Joby. It was only strap that I could find locally that seemed robust and safe enough and which was not too flashy (for street photography). I think that the quick-release clasps on some of the wrist-straps are an unnecessary potential point of failure...
  14. BRH72

BRH72 New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2014
    Haines City, FL
  15. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
  16. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you. I ordered one of these in black. Cheers.
  17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    +1 for the OpTech. I started using it with my Canon 7D and it was plenty strong for that. Moved it to my EM5 when I switched over, and have been using their Utility Sling as well. Love their modular clip connectors which make it so easy to customize.

You may find their smaller wrist strap to be adequate for the EM6.
    OP/TECH USA Cam Strap QD- for Compact Cameras and Binoculars -Neoprene
    by OP/TECH USA
    Link: http://amzn.com/B0011LWMOO

They have a Mirrorless Sling that uses the same connectors.
    OP/TECH USA 1601512 Mirrorless Sling (Black)
    by OP/TECH USA
    Link: http://amzn.com/B00JDVRF9Q

I attach my camera to the sling with the left strap lug and attach the loop connector to the right lug for the wrist strap. I use the same gender on both sides so I can switch back and forth as needed.
  18. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Today i ordered modular OP/TECH system ...the sling + reduction to neck + stabiliser and also wrist

the reason I ordered it is the modularity and also the stabiliser.

Eg today I went to short bike trip with my 2kids & wife and wanted to take em10 with me
    but as it was just short trip and and didnt have deep enough pockets(tight dress) ...so i left cam home...with that stabiliser I would have it on my chest and ready for quick shot

Looking forward to it

Btw hard to bought them in europe ...best deal found on amazon.de
  19. sunnygps

sunnygps Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 26, 2013
  20. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

This strap arrived 2 days ago. I'm very happy with it. High quality materials and workmanship. Looks great. Very cheap. Way better than my Gordy straps. Brilliant!