Woweee! Lovin' my new 7-14mm!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hypnomatt, Dec 14, 2011.

1. hypnomatt

hypnomatt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    • Like Like x 18
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sweet! :) Great photos, from a great lens.
  3. hypnomatt

hypnomatt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks man! :smile:
  4. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    It certainly captures a different perspective. The British Museum is the perfect subject to photograph, nicely done. I've been looking at wide angle lenses lately and this one perked my interest, I assume these are all taken at 7mm, how does it handle more normal angles like 12 or 14mm?
  5. hypnomatt

hypnomatt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I've only taken a few at anything other than 7mm on this lens. They look to be a sharp as my 14-45mm but I'm no expert in that dept.
    To be honest its the ultra wide craziness that I want it for.
    I only noticed recently that all the shots I've ever really been astonished by, ones that really blew me away were shot on ultra wide lenses. As much as I love the sharpness of my 20mm I always felt frustrated at not being able to get want I wanted from a subject, this UWA allows me to get it. So having said that it really is very personal bit of kit then. My friend used it for a day and hated it so if you love shooting on a 20mm for example try and borrow one of these before you buy.
    Just a slight movement of the camera even a few mm will throw up all weird, wonderful shapes and perspectives.
    Im still only scratching the surface of how to use it properly as it really is completley different to anything I've used. I'm so happy with it.
    I read recently somewhere that UWA's are only for pros and nuts. Well, I'm no pro...:biggrin:
  6. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Yes 7mm is a fantastic 14mm lens but 1200€ ?!?
    I tried it for a day and found f/4.0 to be a limitation for indoors [color] :/
    At least 1stop more is needed!

Great BW shots though! :)
  7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Nice photos!!! Great use of the 7-14!
  8. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Awesome pics. I have to seriously consider this lens... So much more money compared to the Samyang Fisheye or the SLR Magic 12mm.
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

NICE! I will add it to my list but only if I find it on sale. The price is kinda step for a lens that I would only use every now and then. Have you tried shooting any video through it?
  10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
  11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    the "hand" gotta be my favorite!

the 7-14 F/4 is the closest that i can get to the venerated 14-24 2.8 from Nikkor... minus the weight and bulk. If you are an UWA junkie, this is it.
  12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Congratulations on your purchase! The ultra wide lens seems to be a natural fit for your style, as you have gotten a pretty good hang of it right off the bat! Very nice shots. Love the outstretched hand of the sculture, and the man walking in the tunnel!
  13. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Terrific pics.

I'm aiming for the "cheaper" oly 9-18mm but I'm hoping panasonic will have a focal length equivalent x lens in the near future.
  14. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
  15. hypnomatt

hypnomatt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Yes I have shot video on it and its amazing. Its like being in a Scorcese pic.
    By the way, I didnt pay anywhere near the 1200 Euro price someone quoted above. Got it brand new from Ian Kerr for £669 including postage and full UK warranty. Having said however I totally understand that that is still a huge amount of money for a lens if you're only going to use it occasionally. I think you have to really be into this type of photography before you lay down your cash for it as it really is so extreme.