1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wow, the HLD-6 just made my OM-D even better!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bobby_t1, Aug 29, 2012.

1. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    I just got my HLD-6 from Adorama today and I'm super excited about how much better it's made the OM-D. I was hesistant at first to pay the steep $299 for it, but geez, it's completely changed the camera for me without adding more more bulk.

I'm using only the grip portion, but can see myself using the second battery section when I'm shooting more portraits and/or need the extra juice from a second battery.

I was contemplating between the Milich grip (which is a precision machined metal grip, but no extra controls) since it's much cheaper and others have raved about it. However, I'm glad I went with the HLD-6 since I really like the extra controls. After shooting with a DSLR for so long, I hated how the front control wheel was so hard to adjust despite being right by the shutter button.

Now with the shutter control and wheel on the grip moved forward, the entire camera is easier to use (and hold).

If you're on the fence, don't be. Just get it! :)

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I use both parts, it's much easier to change batteries than removing the whole grip from the camera.

3. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm not a fan of making the camera that much larger... not yet at least. Although I haven't had to do very many battery changes!

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I've had the HLD6 since day one, and I recently found while doing birds in flight having the full grip with extra battery also helps balance the weight of larger/longer lenses. I got to try the E-M5 with and without grip before they were available sale at an Oly store event, and it made me realize that I wanted the grip.

I just wish you can buy the landscape grip on its own for my second E-M5.

I wonder though if you can use it with Oly's CS-36FBC...guess I'll have to wait a month when it's released.

5. markl9

markl9 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    I wish Olympus would offer the grip part only, I'm keen to try it but the battery grip only adds extra cost for a part I would never use.

6. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I have two HLD-6s that I have placed on both of my E-M5s from day one, and I could not think of trying to use the camera without it. Not only does it make it easier changing the battery, it does a great deal for me in balancing the camera. I have a Promaster hand grip on it that just makes the camera much easier to handle as far as I am concerned.

7. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Same here! I would love that but I definitely don't need the extra grip...

8. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Yeah the grip is awesome - I was lucky and found one gently used when I got my gently used OMD and nabbed it.

I really like both parts - the portrait / battery grip portion really feels good in portrait orientation, which I've never liked on DSLRs.

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I thought the same as most of you, I only really want the vertical grip portion. However, after using it for a couple weeks now, I really like the full grip. The camera is well balanced with both sections on, fits my large hands very well. I never took it off during a whole last week, changing batteries is super easy. My generic eBay batteries fit in the grip also.

For street shooting it will get removed, for most other things, I don't see a reason not to have it.

10. itsmaryg

itsmaryg New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2012
    I received my new HLD-6 grip yesterday and it seems to me that Olympus should of packaged the black O-MD with the first part of the grip included and just priced the black body at $1100 - $1150 and given folks the opotunity to buy the portrait/battery portion for extra if needed. It's so well made and doesn't even look or feel like a add-on accessory when attached to my black OM-D. I'm sure I'll keep it attached 99% of the time because it adds very little weight and size.

Even with at the high price of $300 I can see why the suppliers can't seem to keep the HLD-6 in-stock any where - this accessory has really increased the value of the O-MD for me and I'm now loving this camera even more.

11. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Its a must have for me when using large lenses like the 100-300mm. I really like it but $300 was a bit steep, I wish they inluded this and the FL600r for the accessory rebate even if its at a smaller amount (ex. $50, I think $250 is a good price).

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes, the $300 expense griped me...but only until I had it attached. From there on, the money was spent and the grip was such a great plus that the cost was frankly forgotten. :thumbup:

13. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    +1 same for me. It really brings the camera to another level. Showed it to a guy in Kenmore Camera yesterday he thought the same thing.

14. itsmaryg

itsmaryg New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2012
    Why offer a rebate? ~ Olympus knows that folks are going to hate paying $300 for this accessory but most won't regret the purchase afterwards in fact they will be like us and praise the engineers at Olympus for such a fine device.

I liked every thing about my O-MD except the shallow grip, I tried getting used to it but after long periods of use I would get strange cramps in my thumb and little baby finger. So I came to the conclusion that if I couldn't afford the extra cost of making it comfortable for me to handle then I couldn't afford this camera.

I wonder if Olympus had expected many owners of the O-MD that are really serious about photography to purchase the HLD-6 and that they would use the main grip portion most of the time and that is why the tripod socket is centered on that part of the accessory and not on the actual camera body.

15. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    A bit of a different direction to the thread.... How do you like the 100-300?

16. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012
    Great lens especially for wildlife. AF can get quirky in low light but its not really a problem. If you can grab one for $499 I would definitely do it if you are on the fence.

17. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    I love the grip and i can't think of using my OMD without it, but I can't help but think that it would have great if somehow they could have fit another battery into the grip. It also would be nice if they had included the AC charger with the grip. At an additional $100 for it it feels like Olympus is trying to nickel and dime you for every little thing.

Still... I could not use my OMD without it. It really makes the use of the camera considerably more comfortable.

18. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    One of the m4/3 features that really attracted me to the system was the fact that is was really light weight, especially for traveling and hiking.

I've held off on this piece of kit due to adding a half pound to the camera and lens.

Is the weight difference very noticeable? or do you feel the heft of the camera lens, and full grip when combined?

Thanks

19. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    With just the grip extension, I can barely notice it. With the full 2 part system attached, it's still not much heavier, but I really notice the size increase.

20. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012
    Another point is that you may need to get a different bag to accommodate a gripped OM-D. I had a Domke F5XB but had to pick up a Thinktank Retrospective 7.