Wow, Olympus E-P3 is good!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stratokaster, Oct 28, 2011.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The Olympus E-P1 was my first Micro 4/3 camera. I loved it, but it was S-L-O-W. And basically every Olympus PEN camera (E-PL1, E-P2, E-PL2) was slower than any Panasonic G-series camera.

But the E-P3 is different. It focuses very fast, although a hair slower than the GH2. The touch AF/touch shutter also works great, much better than on the GH2. I suspect this is because Olympus uses a capacitive touch screen that is sensitive to touch instead of a resistive one that is sensitive to pressure.

High ISO seems to be improved compared to the previous PENs. It retains better detail and color.

And, of course, the feeling of the camera is very different to the GH2. It's not really smaller and lighter, but it feels great in my hands. Not to mention very classy retro look.

Overall, a great camera. Clearly much better than I expected.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    You're preaching to the choir, stratokaster. :wink: I love my E-P3, it's the best m43 camera I've used! (I'm not fond of the mini-DSLR format of the Panasonics, I have real DSLRs if the mood strikes me :smile: ).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm with you guys. Love my E-P3!

• Like Like x 1
  4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Totally agree. I love my E-P3. It feels so good in my hands I just love to take it everywhere with me...

I have traded from an E-PL1 to E-PL2 to the E-P3, and this is the one that I plan on keeping even if they come up with newer versions...

5. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I really love my E-P3. So much so that I bought it twice. You know they say you don't know a good thing till you've lost it!! Well that was me. I bought my E-P3 on release in early August but after about 6 weeks decided it couldn't match my expectations, measured against my Nikon D3s, so I sold it and my 12mm f2.

Well after several more weeks I decided it was a huge mistake so I bought a new E-P3, 12mm and 45mm f1.8 and I'm now very happy with it. I love it for street shooting and general snapshots of the family. I read somewhere that the best camera is the one you have with you and for me thats the E-P3. There's something about the style that makes you want to be seen with it and therefore its always there when I see something interesting.

6. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    That kit would be $2688 here in Sweden. Would really like to have it, but it stings a bit! How much did you pay?

7. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I bought the E-P3 with 14-42 kit lens in Malaysia for US$944 from the Olympus dealer and ordered the 12mm for US$705 and the 45mm for US$386 from DZone2 on EBay. I've used them before and they are very good. Very fast, free shipping. Luckily camera kit is tax free in Malaysia so no import duties or taxes on camera kit purchased on eBay.

8. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I hear ya Pavel....but is it good enough to consider trading your GH2 for? :wink:

9. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I'd say, both cameras have their strengths and weaknesses. They will perfectly complement each other :tongue:

10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yep I love my E-P3. Capacitive touchscreens is where it's at!

The response time is fast, and the camera just feels... fun. :love:

• Like Like x 2
  11. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I agree. The E-P1 was the first digital camera I've owned that felt like a camera and not a piece of electronics with a lens. The E-P3 of course is the same but with all the welcome improvements. I feel far more connected to taking pictures than I have felt in years, while at the same time the camera disappears in my hands.

12. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    I am really enjoying mine too, it's brought some fun back into my photography and it goes everywhere with me.

13. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Its a Gem I agree with your comments, and its beautifully built. :thumbup::smile:

14. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Can I jump in and say: +1!!

15. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm very pleased with mine as well. However if the next iteration has at least a tillable rear screen I'm gonna have to move up. :biggrin:

16. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Well, today I was shooting at an event with both E-P3 and GH2 and discovered one thing that bothers me.

The E-P3's AF is very fast in daylight, but it can be extremely uncertain in less than stellar lighting conditions. The GH2 locks on its target almost immediately in any conditions, but the E-P3 sometimes is struggling for seconds before nailing the focus. And sometimes it simply moves the lens to infinity and gives up! I was using the 20mm pancake and it was extremely frustrating because I missed more than a couple of shots.

17. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I think you will find that:

1) The GH2 probably has the best low light focusing capability of any m43 camera out there
    2) The 20mm is kinda crappy at focusing a) in general and b) especially in low light

I agree that the E-P3's low light focusing ability is not particularly exceptional (even though they added the infrared focusing aid, which I have turned off - way too annoying for both parties involved in a snapshot)

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think we're being spoiled here, personally... PDAF sensors were the worst in low-light, and all professionals were using it (because it was faster overall). CDAF is more accurate in low-light and doesn't miss-focus all the time like PDAF. Now that we're talking about how much better one CDAF system is than another in low-light, that means that we've grown too accustomed to the better modern technology... which has only sprung up in the last few years.

19. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    The only camera I would change my EP-3 for right now, is an EP-4.

But a firmware upgrade allowing to assign any functions to the Fn buttons would be welcomed, as the ability to assign a user defined tag to each of the 'MySet' configurations, so that I can easily remember what each config is about.

I'm a happy customer. :thiagree:

20. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Ned, the problem is that the E-P3 has trouble focusing not only in the low-light, but also at the medium light levels.

ClOElAroNcv8fVyp4Swg.

For example, this shot was taken at ISO 400, f/1.7 and 1/80 shutter speed, so it was not exactly darkness. Still, it took the E-P3 several attempts to focus on my wife's right eye. In the end she was making funny comments about expensive cameras that were not suitable for taking photos. :rolleyes: