Wow: New mu43 Series & NO new PEN's?!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrKal_El, Dec 17, 2011.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
  2. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    "Camera will empathize (sic) a new viewfinder technology"

Empathize? Really? Well, nice to know the camera will understand and share the feelings of others... I guess that's progress :rofl:

woof! (it must be true, it's on the Internet!) woof!
  3. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Glad I got a e-p3, "Last of the legendary (and now highly collectable) Pens!" lol.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    This has to be wrong (even if it's not incorrect, it's still "wrong" in so many ways :)
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I do like some of the comments alluding to an OM style body. They're really not that much bigger than my E-P1.
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That was my first thought as well. Not the bit about it being collectible, just that I'm glad I got an E-P3! This interview makes me want to buy a couple more E-P3s and stick them in the freezer, but I'm sure whatever comes along next will be great too :smile:.
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    2nd I'm glad that I held off on the new PEN digitals.....:smile:
    E-P3s should be as cheap as the E-P1/2 in a few :wink:
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    If the GF1 is Panny's Pen, then Panny learned a lesson (clearly, because they released the GX1). There is a need for that serious compact (but not itty-bitty and dumbed-down) shooter. Oly still needs something "Pen-like"
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Whatever it takes to keep the Pens viewfinder-free :biggrin:
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    The next Olympus will look an OM.....basically a brick (like the pen) but with a very retro triangular hump for the built-in viewfinder. Will buy in silver and one in black.
  11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Olympus is in such disarray at the moment, with considerable uncertainty as to whether it will actually survive as an independent manufacturer, that I don't think we can take too seriously the statement of a manager who might not even have a job next week.

On the other hand maybe at least some of those products are further developed than we realize, Olympus has traditionally been very secretive about new developments and it is just possible that they might have reversed that policy to reassure customers that the system will continue to develop and ensure people still have the confidence to buy into the system. The weather resistant 12-60mm lens recently announced does rather hint that a weatherproof body isn't far behind.

I didn't think the statement said no more Pens, just that a different concept was on it's way. Panasonic have more than one body type in their current range so why not Olympus?

What really intrigued me was the statement that an E-5 successor was under development. Will it be a traditional DSLR or will it be in the form of an MFT body, but larger than the Pens with built in viewfinder and weatherproofed? Can we really hold out hope that the viewfinder will be a hybrid type? And does this mean Olympus have solved the focussing problems of using the superb SHG FT Zuikos on MFT? Does that mean PDAF from the sensor?

This statement certainly raises more questions than it gives answers, but let's not get carried away - it's all a bit too vague at the moment to be given any real credence.
  12. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    So since (according to the rumor) we are looking at a new body style based on the mu43 sensor size...

Do you guys feel that mu43 standard will never get past the "It isn't an APS-C size sensor like Samsung/Sony so it can never compete..." problem? You read it in alot of reviews (mostly on non-photography but very popluar sites) that sway people towards those other companies...
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Can the Pentax "Q" & Nikon 1 get past the "it isn't as large as the MFT sensor so it can never compete"...:smile:

But to answer your question, Sony/Samsung are competing with MFT, not the other way around as you stated :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    (That's why I bought my second PEN :) )

While you & I might know that... looking at the big tech sites... they are funneling tons of buyers over to the other companies...
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    There are more choices now than when it was just Olympus & Panasonic...:wink:
  16. rramesh

rramesh Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2011
    I think this just confirms the eventual migration of of E-system from 43 to M43 (Next gen E5). Olympus needs to broaden the M43 range to a higher spec to counter the GH2 and GH3s.

I believe this new E series will also be weatherproof, have built-in EVF and all the bells and whistles with a longer term overhaul of the lenses to features MSC capability.
  17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    agreed. They need something not to counter the GH series, but really just outclass it (the E series already does in ruggedness). And I'd probably buy it. I just hope it stays relatively light, heh.

I do wonder if they have a 4/3->m43 adapter in the works that mirrors the alpha->e mount one. Fix the whole AF issue for the old 4/3 lenses. This would really help anyone vested in 4/3 to migrate over.

The biggest question is... will all this get done before oly runs out of money? And if someone buys out the camera division, how much of this might change the long term plan...
  18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    calm down every one

you are taking a quote from a rumour site reporting from a japanese site... you are leaping on a phrase that may have be added by a non native english speaker e.g. "so no more PENS"
    which i reckon is his opinion not what the olympus guy said

everything else the oly guy says makes sense and reinforces what they have said in the past...and represents what any forward thinking company should be saying

1) Olympus are developing new micro 4/3 cameras
    2) Olympus are developing new concepts in cameras
    3) Olympus recognise developments in viewfinder technology
    4) Olympus are investigating solutions of the faithful 4/3 lens users

seriously... move along.. there are no revelations here.... I am sure there are a lot of nervous people working in olympus right now...

personally I think there has been some confused leadership in the camera division

how else do you explain the last three lens releases

12/2... expensive - 800 $/meh reviews/ high build quality/focus trick/silver only/no weather seal
    45/1.8- affordable - 400$/great reviews/meh build quality/no focus trick/silver only/no wether seal
    12-50 - affordable - $400/unknown/build quality unknown/button zoom - video /silver/black/ weather sealed

the 12/2 is a premium priced niche market lens..... it seems ideally placed to woo top end of the market... Fuji x100/leica crowd...or e-p3 owner

the 45/1.8 should have had the whole manual focus thing ... but it doesn't... why not?

the 12-50 seems to be a lens that is for another market/body.... its weather sealed.... yet has a lousy on paper spec.

confusing messages

• Like Like x 3
  19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010

Some really great stuff on your flickr stream!

Also, a good post!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. rramesh

rramesh Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2011
    kevinparis, you are right on the 12-50 being for another body. It will be the kit lens for the new M43 E-5 replacement. Most likely this will be a lead up for a major Olympus announcement around Photokina 2012.