Wow- Looks like we're going to have a mini PEN.. E-PL8

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bikerhiker, Mar 17, 2016.

1. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well that's like saying the gm1 is a lower cost version of the gx8. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Heheheh.. LOL :dance4:

4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    No knob in the front. People are going to love it ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bremner

bremner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    So, is that an EVF? Or is hope getting the better of me?

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Hope crushed.

7. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. tkbslc

Looks like it has evf port, though

Would be nice if it was nearly on parity with the E-M10 II.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  9. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    A couple of things we won't get, PDAF, improved CAF and tracking. These are a no no as far as Olympus is concerned.

10. tkbslc

Do you think a mini pen should be a wildlife camera?

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You mean primarily a wildlife camera then no. Is there such a thing as a primarily wildlife camera? CAF is used for a lot more than wildlife. The Camera Store apparently agrees.

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This looks pretty good compared to the GM5 - tilt screen, hot-shoe with hopefully standard shutter mechanism for normal sync speeds and IBIS, not much bigger. I'm not enthralled by the EVF in the GM5 so this thing is pretty tempting.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I just picked up a used E-PL7 this week to replace my E-PL5, and I love it! All the things I didn't like about the E-PL5 have been fixed in the E-PL7. Other than the grip and minor cosmetic changes, I wonder what new/improved features Olympus will add to the E-PL8. A 20 MP sensor and 5-axis IBIS could be the headline features, but I would also like to see exposure comp with auto-ISO in Manual mode like on the Pen-F (although from the photos I can't tell for certain that they've added an exposure comp dial). If it had all of those features it would be enough to get me to buy an E-PL8 a year from now when the price has bottomed out, and I'd keep my E-PL7 as a second camera.

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The other market is parents trying to track their kids at things like sports.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

On the rumour sites there is a large proportion that think it is ugly, but truly, the E-M1 got that description to start with too & I think this E-PL8 looks pretty good. I guess the main improvement will likely be the 20MP sensor (it would be a lost cause not to include it) but that is yet to be revealed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    The more I think about it, my guess is that it will have the guts of the E-M10 II, including the 16 MP sensor (and 5-axis IBIS). I doubt Olympus wants a camera at the low end of their product line to have parity with the Pen-F and coming E-M1 II on such an important marketing feature as megapickles.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If it's the innards of the em10 II that would be great. I have to admit it's not the prettiest pen ever.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I hope it uses the E-M5/10 mkII flash and not the old flip up style.

19. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I'm not enthralled with the EVF in the GM5 either, but for what it is needed for... Composing images, it does a fine job at that. As much as I prefer the viewfinder on my GX8, or Pen-F even, I don't use a viewfinder as a viewing screen... I use it to compose an image and will use a computer monitor to get a really great look at the details.

The lack of a built-in EVF kills any interest I might have had for this new offering.

This offering won't move me off of my GM5 when I want a really small m4/3 capture machine. Nor move me away from the truly awesome LX100, for that matter.

The Pen-F isn't all that much larger than this model. With the availability of GM5, GX7, PEN-F, GX8, this Pen lite is of no interest to me. If it had a built-in EVF, I would definitely consider it, though.

I'm totally done with buying m4/3 bodies that don't have a built-in EVF. My EP5 with VF4 (Great pair!) is the last of those Mohicans or me.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tkbslc

I wonder how people would react to a new mini-camera that has the PEN-F viewfinder, but they had to drop to a 2" LCD to make room for it.

• Like Like x 2