1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wow, legacy lenses - probably will start having legacy GAS now

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bobbywise, Jan 4, 2012.

1. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Well, I just got some Minolta Rokkors, and an Olympus legacy lens (listed in my signature).

I'm new to photography, but I think I understand why people like legacy lenses.

They just feel great. :smile:

The manual aperture.... The smooth manual focussing.... The great build quality.....

Sure they might not autofocus, etc., but there's just 'something' about using legacy lenses.

Happy New Year,

Rob

• Like Like x 2
  2. shan564

shan564 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2011
    I was finally happy with my selection of guitar gear, and my GAS was gradually settling... and then I was stupid enough to buy an E-PL1. Now the legacy lens GAS is killing me too...

3. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I waited this long to get into digital because I wanted to be able to easily use all of my old lenses that I knew had very high quality. mu4/3 gives me that - even my FD. I got my adaptor for my Nikon lenses in the mail yesterday and have been puttering around ever since. Much fun with my 50/1.4 Non-AI :D

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Just get Oly 45 and your legacy GAS will be cured as no legacy lens set at f1.8 will match Oly 45 performance on m43 body

• Like Like x 2
  5. brian watkins

brian watkins Mu-43 Rookie

i'd love to see that theory tested.

6. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Couldn't agree more. I have two other legacy lenses (Olympus OM 50mm f1.8 and Pentax 50mm f1.4), but somehow every time I use the Oly 45mm, I just can't help smiling. Might have to sell the legacy lenses. Again, it's very subjective/relative to my experiences, so please take it for what it's worth.

7. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    I don't know what that 'something' is either but I have shot with nothing but my legacy lenses over the past three months.

I need wide angle though, that is the one area that the native lenses seem to have a massive edge. Will be looking at a fisheye or 12mm :43: lens to shoot along with my Takumars, I want to stick with manual focus.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think it's very nice to have choices, and MF can be fun, too. Enjoy!

9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Me too. I've got a Nikon 50mm F1.2 that is very nice and set to F1.8 gets even sweeter!

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    True, the Oly is better... but... let's do some math:

New Oly ~ $400 bucks

Legacy lens ~ $100 bucks with adapter

Does the Oly provide ~ $300 dollars worth of improvement in performance?

As far as I'm concerned, good legacy glass provides the best performance for the dollar.

Of course if you have the funds, then by all means buy the newer lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The accounting is tilted heavily in favor of us that already have a closet full of legacy glass!

• Like Like x 1
  12. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    I don't see the Oly 45mm listed in the image archive with the other legacy lenses. Would be interested to see some images from this Oly 45mm :smile:

13. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
  14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The Oly is a native lens. Check the native lens archive.

In short, all legacy lenses are softer wide open then their comparative native lenses, because the modern lenses are built for the new system, with appropriate coatings, etc.

But it depends on the legacy lens, and the native lens.

My Canon FD 50mm 1.4 is capable of 1.4, while the Oly 45/1.8 can't get that wide open. BUT the FD is pretty soft at 1.4 At 1.8 the Oly 45/1.8 is still better, but both lenses at f/2.8 are starting to look more like each other, AND the 45/1.8 has AF. But the FD did cost much less than the native lens. The 45/1.8 is more compact, but my Takumar 50/1.4 (for example) has a superb, buttery-smooth MF ring.

So, while they are comparable lenses, there's also a sort of apples-to-oranges thing going on, too.

I think there's room for both in m43!

15. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Very awesome. I learned far more about photography shooting with legacy lenses than with any of the native lenses, especially my understanding of exposure and focus.

• Like Like x 3
  16. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Ahhh.... I get it now.... I missunderstood Art's original post thinking they were talking about legacy....

Sure, I plan to get the new 45mm/1.8 native Oly.... I reckon that lens is awesome..... But I'll wait a while.....

Using these legacy lenses will help me learn more about photography, and I since receiving them today, I somewhat appreciate their 'charm'....

That Minolta 50mm/1.4 is looking awfully tempting :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think thats a perfect plan. Grow into your gear!

19. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That is probably my favorite lens. I just posted some samples in that thread.

• Like Like x 1