1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wow, I did not expect to see this today!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pwol, May 18, 2019.

1. pwol

pwol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    CT
    I was out and about shooting today. It was at a somewhat popular spot, so people were walking about enjoying the scenery and the weather, but there was only one other person taking photos with an actual camera.

It was an older woman, I thought she was in her 60's. I did a double take so hard when I saw what she was shooting with....

rAq5WPM.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(I had to take a comparison photo, lol)

turns out it was a Phase One XF IQ4 150mp... $50,000 just for the body. WOW. I did not expect to see that today.

I talked to her for a little bit. She was friendly as I geek'd out over her camera. It turns out she's Carol Highsmith, a legend of a photographer who works for the Library of Congress (donated 100,000+ images). She gave me her card, so I didnt realize who she was until I looked her up when I got home.

Carol M. Highsmith - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Wow Wow x 16
    • Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Wow, that is a monster of a camera!!!!! I my dim and distant past I used to shoot medium format film so I can appreciate the size of it. Thanks for sharing!!!!

3. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle haunted scrap heap Subscribing Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Like, The Valley
    You met Carol Highsmith?! That is so rad... and unexpected. :D 

I really couldn't care less about most "name brand" photographers out there, but the fact that she donated a rather large collection of images documenting landmarks to the public domain is pretty damn cool... quite a few have found their way into Wikipedia articles.

Weirdly enough, I actually had an email exchange with the LOC at one point to correct the misidentification of some newfangled pseudo-decco structure as the "Ventura Theatre"... an understandable mistake, since the real one is pretty unremarkable architecturally... but I did see some great bands play there in my misspent youth! :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  4. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle haunted scrap heap Subscribing Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Like, The Valley
    And just to make this thread even weirder, today is her birthday (according to the WP article, anyway). :D 

5. Santa

Santa Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Tennessee
    Tom Staggs
    A mighty step up from her first camera she owned. Pentax k1000

6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    That lens is weirdly "Oly-looking" isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    So a 73 year old lady totes around an MF body and lenses. I guess my complaints about FF weight and size are really embarrassing now.

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Intermittent Globe Trotter
    Isaac
    That's a great run-in! Legend!

I think Alec Soth is still traveling around internationally and shooting with a full size 8x10 view camera. Hard to conceive a negative that's the same size as my favorite print.

9. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Great to hear she's still out there shooting away, a real master.

BTW I can't seem to find any Nikon Z vs. Phase One videos from Tony Northrup :roflmao:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.