Wow handling of E-P1.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by taikuodo, Jan 25, 2011.

1. taikuodo

taikuodo Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2011
    Is it just me or does the E-P1 just feel that much better with a big lens on it?

I just got a lens adapter and put my Nikkor 50 1.8 and it feels so much more stable and "right" in my hands.

With the pancake, I'm not grabbing it by the lens but both by the body - its a bit awkward.

2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I agree

Taikudo - I feel the same way. The hand grip on the E-P1/E-P2 is quite small and even for someone with small hands like me, my E-P1 does not sit comfortably with the kit zoom or 17 2.8. I like it best when I use it with heavier MF vintage lenses (like the Leica Summicron 50/2) or even the 4/3 Olympus AF lenses. Heft also helps me steady the camera at slower shutter speeds (even with IS on). BTW, I just got an E-PL1 - the handgrip is better than the E-P, but again still find the overall balance better with heavier lenses.

Enjoy your E-P1; would love to see some of your photos with the Nikkor lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    I have to agree as well. I bought into the m43 system because of its smaller size, but I fell under the spell of wondering what all of the fuss was about when it came to adapted lenses and bought myself a Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.4 for the c/y mount. It's a big, although not huge, lens made of plenty of metal and glass, so it has nice heft to it and feels very solid in my hand. My GF-1 is no longer as portable, but I love how it feels to hold it and shoot it with that 50mm attached. It has a certain quality that I would have a hard time describing that makes it deeply satisfying to use.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I agree. The problem is the weight of the camera sits on the left side of the camera, and putting a small lens doesn't do much as far as keeping it balanced for me. Putting a larger lens balances the camera more toward the lens and with the larger lens, I can hold more of the weight of the camera from the lens instead of the grip.

The camera IMHO could be a good 50-75g lighter.

5. Recently I went out shooting with the 17mm pancake for the first time and I kept reaching for the virtually non-existent lens with my left hand to stabilise the camera. Sometimes I find the Pens to be an awkward size; too heavy to operate comfortably one-handed given the ergonomics of the grip and controls, yet almost too small to hold with two hands unless there is a decent size lens to hang on to. The E-P1 is a very solid camera for it's size. Is it rude to describe it as being a bit dense?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason

After playing with the 17mm for the last few months, I completly agree. Because of the weight of the camera and the non-existant grip, it really is heavier than it should be. This is why I am looking at the E-PL2. Bigger grip might help with holding it properly. For the form factor, the camera is very dense and heavy. I wonder if how much of it is necessary, and how much of it is just there to make it feel "premium".

• Like Like x 1
  7. I definitely agree that the E-P1 would benefit from a diet, but...am I so superficial that I wouldn't like a lightweight plastic bodied E-P1 as much without that beautiful metal skin...maybe.

8. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Stay with the E-P1

Agree with all of you--stay with the E-P1; the only reason I got an E-PL1 was someone dropped my beloved E-P and broke the LCD. Got reimbursed for the cost of the entire E-P1 through purchase protection plan, so I sprung for a used E-PL1 body, hoping the grip would be better. The overall solid feel and classic design of my E-P1 still wins, though; can't wait for it to come back from Oly repair center.