1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Would you trade the Mode dial for another settings dial?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Klorenzo, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Yes, I'd love it

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. No, I use the Mode selection dial everyday

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Just add another settings dial somewhere else

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Not really interested but why not

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I rarely use the mode dial on the run. I'm in A mode, in S mode or M mode and I rarely jump back and forth.

I think I'd be willing to change the mode from a menu' (like I do for ISO and WB) to get another wheel that I can customize to set ISO, exp compensation or anything else (shutter mode, flash power, mode switching, etc.).

What do you think?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Its called a mode dial... because at glance you can see what mode you are in... sometimes thats important

sometimes dials with a reference point are auseful

K

3. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    The upper tier Nikons don't have a mode dial, but still a dedicated button. Plus there is a top deck LCD to show what mode you are in. Like Kevin said, I think most users will want to be able to see the mode setting at a glance.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Some of the older Olympus dSLRs also used a button to set the mode. Usually they had a small monochrome tiny top LCD where a glance would show you what mode you were in (plus other standard settings). It worked well. So ya, I would trade the modes for something else instead on that dial. Like the OP, I don't usually have a need to be rapidly switching between modes. A particular shooting outing will usually be with one particular mode the entire time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Once the tech gets there what about a dial that has a oled display as the top of the dial. So you could customize it like other Olympus buttons/dials but the display would reflect those settings. Kinda like the how you can assign mysets to the dial now but you would be able to name them and have those names show on the dial itself instead of trying to remember the SCN setting is really myset 1. Probably not too far off from being able to do something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I would as long as the mode setting doesn't require menus. A single, dedicated button that toggles through them all would be fine, but no menus. In principle I agree that a mode dial is wasted real estate.

7. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

How about a multi button array on top behind the shutter release that could be custom to user liking. Sumilar to Canons where the AF, Drive, iso, and metering were set. So on a GX8 EM1 type body they could make the top back command dial Ecomp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    What might be even better is just one thumb dial combined with some buttons on the front where your middle and ring fingers are.
    The two buttons can encode four modes for the dial (shutter speed, aperture, ISO and exposure compensation).
    I'm sure after a little bit of getting used to it this would be faster than any other method.
    No need to shift your grip, no need to use your index finger for both settings and shutter release.
    It would likely require a proper grip to offload the holding force from the finger tips, but that would be a good thing no matter what.
    Rudy

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've had no complaints with the two dial setup found in most enthusiast/pro cameras. I personally feel like more dedicated dials makes things slower, not faster. I don't want to have to take the camera away from my eye all the time to fiddle with a half-dozen knobs when 2 dials and a few buttons can do it all by feel.

10. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Ian
    I can only speak based on my experience with the Fuji's,

I loved and still love the X-Pro1, it was a joy to go back to using a camera with a shutter speed dial and using an aperture ring on the lenses, I thought I would like more external control dials and got the XT-1 as I couldn't afford the Nikon DF, but found to my shock that it was dial overload, the top of the camera was just too busy and so many controls made it feel cramped, it simply wasn't fun to shoot with it whereas the X-Pro1 was and still is.

So I for one would like a Pen F style camera with a shutter speed dial & lenses with aperture rings.

Having said that the control dials on the Pen F are implemented in the best way I've ever come across, they just automatically control whatever parameter or menu your looking at as well as AF point positioning.

• Like Like x 1