1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Would you trade it (mostly) all?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by everythingsablur, Apr 24, 2012.

1. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    So I picked up an E-P3 a month ago with the thought that it would prevent me from wanting the E-M5 while saving a little money. I haven't used it all that much (though I do love how fast it operates), reaching back for the trusty GF1 when I know I need to get the picture right instead of futzing about learning a new camera. And naturally, I used the "saved" money to buy more lenses, and have effectively spent the same as if I would have just bought the E-M5!!!

Threads like https://www.mu-43.com/f42/hardcore-weather-sealing-test-e-m5-12-50-lens-24755/ have me second guessing myself as I could see myself taking advantage of the weather sealing, given the capability. The reviews are all quite effusive in their general praise. It's fast, sharp, accurate, built well, excellent DR, very good high ISO performance (though bested by the better APS-C competitors at the top end).

So now I'm torn... Solider on with an E-P3 and GF1, or sell what I can and get an E-M5. I'm thinking selling the following would pretty much get enough value (give or take) to pick up the E-M5 with 12-50.

• Black E-P3 (very low use, but no box)
    • 14-42 II R
    • 3x BLS-1 batteries (1 OEM, 2 aftermarket)
    • VF-2 (black)
    • Black GF1 (with SGP Deepblack Skin+Screen film, moderate use < 8000 shots)
    • 3 batteries (1 OEM, 2 aftermarket)
    • LVF1
    • FL-50 flash
    • Probably have to lose one other lens... 20/1.7, PL45, or the 14-140 (though my wife uses that most of all)

Would you do it? Would you trade it all for an E-M5? While I like having two bodies (wish they shared batteries), it's hard to shake the thought of an all-out upgrade.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Hmmm, have you considered the form of the 2 cameras?
    I prefer a screen so the EM5 is out.
    What's your feeling....?

• Like Like x 1
  3. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I would - everything but the lenses listed on the bottom.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    Similar to Streetshooter, I wouldn't because I don't care for the built in EVF.. I'm waiting for the new technology to trickle down to the PEN..

However, I'd suggest you actually try learning to use the E-P3 first! .. in addition to the faster AF, the biggest advantages (atleast, for me) have been IBIS and the touch screen to set focus point...

• Like Like x 1
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I like having a small body that I can stick in my pocket - so I'd keep the GF1. Besides, with the E-P3 kit, VF-2, FL-50 and LVF1, I suspect you can more or less raise enough for the E-M5. If you really like the E-P3's fast AF, you can sell the GF-1 and for not too much more acquire an E-PM1 which shares its siblings fast AF and nice colors.

I wouldn't sell the lenses though. The 14-140 is quite handy and the 20 and 45 are the two best m4/3 lenses so far IMO.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree, keep the GF1 and sell the E-P3. You'll get the best of both worlds. I ended up keeping my E-PM1 and trickling it down to my wife who now loves it!

• Like Like x 1
  7. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I would wait for a used EM5. A few months should bring the market value down and then if you don't like it you won't lose to much.

I have an E-P3 and a GH2 both purchased LNIB used for the cost of a new EM5. Worth a upgrade for me? Nope. A few months from now? Maybe. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Sounds like a case of upgrade-itis. I know because sometimes I'm afflicted with it myself. Go out and shoot for a couple days straight with that E-P3...... you may find out that you don;t really need a new camera after all (because you have one in your collection already)

• Like Like x 1
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I would not sell any lenses, except for the kit zoom. You will miss those, I think.

Agree with you, Don, and I am waiting on the updated E-P3. The only thing I would like, that would actually come in handy, is a tilt screen. Not sure if that will be in the E-P4/5.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just picked up an E-P3 recently and if I were in your shoes I would spend some time shooting with the E-P3. It took me a while to warm up to mine but I have found that after spending time with it you really begin to appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Personally I would sell the EP3 and keep the GF1 and get some use out of it. Then wait for the EM5 madness to die down. I wouldn't sell those lenses you'll just end up buying them again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks all for the sanity check. I have stepped back from the ledge and am going to spend more time with my E-P3 and GF1. For now, the thinking is that I want to have two bodies so my wife and I aren't fighting over the camera and constantly swapping between our preferred lenses. We've got a nice vacation coming up later in the summer (hiking up to Machu Picchu), so we'll see if two bodies even make that trip, what with all the hiking and general tiredness that portends that "vacation". :)

As I mentioned in another thread, My larger E-P3 grip and VF-2 eyecup both arrived from B&H this week. While the eyecup is a royal PITA to install, it really does make the VF-2 more enjoyable to use. The larger grip also improves the E-P3's ergonomics, at least for my hands.

I would probably miss any lens that I did end up selling to pay for the E-M5, regret it, and plot to buy it again (or worse, by something "superior"/more expensive).

If anything, I'm considering selling the GF1 and getting an E-PM1 as the second body for the increased AF, higher ISO performance, IBIS, and use of the same batteries (and other accessories).

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010

To me the greatest attribute any camera has is whether or not you like to use it. If you do you will get out and make images if not it sits around gathering dust. Give the E-P3 some time and see how you like it. If in the end you find its not for you sell it (or trade it) and try something else. I rarely buy anything new. Wait six months and you'll be able to get an OMD much cheaper than right now if you find you still want one.

14. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    You havn't said what you expect from a E-M5 that a Pen can't deliver. And take for granted that an E-M5 can do everything a Pen can do. Doesn't always work that way.

Today I'll be testing different len's on my E-M5 in hopes of finding out why it's jpegs (with kit lens) are a little softer than my E-PL1's jpegs (with kit lens) and why the white balance is not spot on like it is on the E-PL1.

So I'm in the odd predicament of figuring out why a $1000 body is not producing as good of a jpeg (outdoors) as a $150 body.