would you take the 14-45?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, Dec 15, 2011.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    kit lens over the panny 14-42 pancake lens at same price that goes with a GX1 kit?

:biggrin:

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I would. But then again I'm not as concerned about being able to carry the camera in my pocket as some people are.

I have to admit I haven't paid real close attention to test results for the x-lens, but my impression is that it's on par with the regualr 14-42, except that the OIS causes real problems at the long end (where you need it most). The 14-45 is noticeably sharper than than the old 14-42, especially at the edges, and OIS works fine.

But if having a small bundle that fits in a pocket is important, and you're willing to turn OIS off most of the time, then the X lens might be a better choice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would take the X lens. Both are said to deliver very good IQ. I'm not a fan of the slow speed, power-zoom, or focus-by-rocker-switch, but the slow speed is inherent in both lenses. Therefore, it wouldn't be my first pick of zooms, but if I'm going to pick a slow zoom like that then I'd want it to at least be portable. Otherwise, if you're going to bring a bigger lens anyways, then why not just bring along a compact fast zoom like the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II instead? That would be my thought, anyways... I've never held onto an f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom though, so I'm not the best to ask.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'd go w/ the pancake lens. The IQ difference isn't that much, and I'd much prefer the compactness of the pancake (it's why I gravitated toward m43 after all). I don't need to pocket it, but it's nice that it takes up less room in my bag.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    The 14-45 is a stellar lens. Even wide open. I don't know about the pancake. But the 14-45 will not dissapoint, I am pretty sure of that...

• Like Like x 1
  6. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I agree. And I prefer to use a zoom with a zoom ring that I can turn with my hand. The 14-45 is my most favorite of all Panasonic lenses - even above the 20, 14, and 45. It is sharp and well made.

• Like Like x 2
  7. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I've only had the 14-45 for a short time, but I'm pretty impressed with it. The stabilization works great and it compares favorably to my Nikon 16-85, a $600 lens. As Gerald said above the 14-45 is still sharp wide open, which I can't say about the Nikon at 85mm. I too am interested in the pancake zoom, but canceled my order when I started reading about the issues with the stabilization. Until they get those problems fixed I'm sticking with the 14-45, even though I would value being able to carry a GF2/pancake zoom in a pocket.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm more than happy to swap my 14-45 for the X if anyone wants to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The X looks like it would be pretty nice on a Panny GX/GF or Oly E-PL3/E-PM1. But on a G or GH body, which isn't going to get all that small anyway... 14-45 all the way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 14-45 is definitely the better lens, optically. Used, it goes for under $200.

That said, the convenience of the X 14-42 is that you have a kit that's 40% thinner. That's the difference between a camera that can fit comfortable in a coat pocket, and one that needs a bag. If it were my take-anywhere camera, I'd want that extra portability.

DH

11. Seabreeze

Seabreeze New to Mu-43

Dec 22, 2011
    I've been seriously considering that lens to add to my kit, but holding off till after the new year, as rumors of a 12-35 and 35-100, possibly 2.8 apertures being released

12. Seabreeze

Seabreeze New to Mu-43

Dec 22, 2011
    Ned is the 14 54 a micro 4/3, or do you need an adapter does it af or manual focus.

Is the 14 42 & 45 larger than the 54 ?

13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    i will certainly consider the 35-100 if it has a 2.8 or faster constant aperture.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 ii is a 4/3 lens. It is fairly large, auto focuses a bit more slowly than the m4/3 lenses and requires a $100+ adapter to function correctly, further increasing the size and price. You can do much better for your money.

• Like Like x 1