1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

would you take the 14-45?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, Dec 15, 2011.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    kit lens over the panny 14-42 pancake lens at same price that goes with a GX1 kit?

:biggrin:

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I would. But then again I'm not as concerned about being able to carry the camera in my pocket as some people are.

I have to admit I haven't paid real close attention to test results for the x-lens, but my impression is that it's on par with the regualr 14-42, except that the OIS causes real problems at the long end (where you need it most). The 14-45 is noticeably sharper than than the old 14-42, especially at the edges, and OIS works fine.

But if having a small bundle that fits in a pocket is important, and you're willing to turn OIS off most of the time, then the X lens might be a better choice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would take the X lens. Both are said to deliver very good IQ. I'm not a fan of the slow speed, power-zoom, or focus-by-rocker-switch, but the slow speed is inherent in both lenses. Therefore, it wouldn't be my first pick of zooms, but if I'm going to pick a slow zoom like that then I'd want it to at least be portable. Otherwise, if you're going to bring a bigger lens anyways, then why not just bring along a compact fast zoom like the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II instead? That would be my thought, anyways... I've never held onto an f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom though, so I'm not the best to ask.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'd go w/ the pancake lens. The IQ difference isn't that much, and I'd much prefer the compactness of the pancake (it's why I gravitated toward m43 after all). I don't need to pocket it, but it's nice that it takes up less room in my bag.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    The 14-45 is a stellar lens. Even wide open. I don't know about the pancake. But the 14-45 will not dissapoint, I am pretty sure of that...

• Like Like x 1
  6. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I agree. And I prefer to use a zoom with a zoom ring that I can turn with my hand. The 14-45 is my most favorite of all Panasonic lenses - even above the 20, 14, and 45. It is sharp and well made.

• Like Like x 2
  7. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I've only had the 14-45 for a short time, but I'm pretty impressed with it. The stabilization works great and it compares favorably to my Nikon 16-85, a $600 lens. As Gerald said above the 14-45 is still sharp wide open, which I can't say about the Nikon at 85mm. I too am interested in the pancake zoom, but canceled my order when I started reading about the issues with the stabilization. Until they get those problems fixed I'm sticking with the 14-45, even though I would value being able to carry a GF2/pancake zoom in a pocket.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm more than happy to swap my 14-45 for the X if anyone wants to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The X looks like it would be pretty nice on a Panny GX/GF or Oly E-PL3/E-PM1. But on a G or GH body, which isn't going to get all that small anyway... 14-45 all the way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 14-45 is definitely the better lens, optically. Used, it goes for under $200.

That said, the convenience of the X 14-42 is that you have a kit that's 40% thinner. That's the difference between a camera that can fit comfortable in a coat pocket, and one that needs a bag. If it were my take-anywhere camera, I'd want that extra portability.

DH

11. Seabreeze

Seabreeze New to Mu-43

Dec 22, 2011
    I've been seriously considering that lens to add to my kit, but holding off till after the new year, as rumors of a 12-35 and 35-100, possibly 2.8 apertures being released

12. Seabreeze

Seabreeze New to Mu-43

Dec 22, 2011
    Ned is the 14 54 a micro 4/3, or do you need an adapter does it af or manual focus.

Is the 14 42 & 45 larger than the 54 ?

13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    i will certainly consider the 35-100 if it has a 2.8 or faster constant aperture.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

The 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 ii is a 4/3 lens. It is fairly large, auto focuses a bit more slowly than the m4/3 lenses and requires a $100+ adapter to function correctly, further increasing the size and price. You can do much better for your money.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.