1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Would you pick HI-Res or low noise in a new OMD?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, Oct 4, 2015.

1. 1. New 32 MP sensor with 1 to 1.5 stops worse noise performance than the current sensor

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. 2. New 12 MP sensor with 2 stops better noise performance

33 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. 3. Hold pat/replace with current model

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Suppose Olympus pulls a Sony on the next OMD. Three new models: 32 MP sensor with 1-1.5 stops worse noise performance than current sensor, 12 MP with 2 stop better noise performance, and a tweaked current model with the current sensor. Which would you buy, assuming you will to buy an OMD with all of Oly's half hearted video attitude. Assume all other features the same to controls the variable changes. My hope here is to see which sensor trade-offs folks would pick.

4th choice: This poll becomes an internet rumor within a week.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    None sound ideal. Ideally I'd like to keep at 16Mp but with improved noise and DR. I definitely don't want higher res at the expense of worse noise. I guess I could cope with 12Mp if noise and DR were a big step up.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I was tempted sit pat at 16M, and then I remembered that Olympus said 12M is enough...... http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...olympus-declares-12-megapixels-is-enough.html

Really, if the noise is better (and one can assume more lines of resolution at higher ISO), there's still plenty of leeway to crop a 12MP image. So I vote for fewer MP and better performance. But I'm fine standing pat, too. I think ISO 3200 is usable..... and with all the fast glass available, that's really all I need for 99% of what I shoot.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  5. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Personally, with the restrictions of the poll in mind, I would choose better noise handling over increased resolution.
    I'm finding increasing demands for digital presentation from my clients, compared to print requirements demanded only a few years ago.
    Magazine work is absolutely fine with 12Mp or less, and I've previously had a number of covers with only 4Mp going back quite a few years. It's the really big advertising boards, or full retail window graphics that cause more of a challenge, and basically means using different kit and a different approach.

But certainly, if I thought my voice carried any kind of weight, it would be 12Mp and less noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Would also choose better noise handling over increased resolution.

7. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    definitely 12MP with better dynamic range/noise performance.

Add to that the improved multishot-highres mode (no more tripod necessary thanks to improved stabilization and readout times - like promised in one of their interviews) and you'd have a winner! :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I'm not willing to compromise on the image sensor at all, if they make the pixel count higher, I expect them to keep the DR and noise every bit as good as it is now and improve overall on the detail captured. I consider the performance we have now to be the absolute minimum that I would consider acceptable.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Given that I picked the 32 MP choice somewhat randomly, it appears resolution at the expense of noise is unpopular. I suspect Olympus feels the same way, which explains why we've had the 16 MP sensor as long as we have.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I don't actually give a damn until i can see it actually is better for what i want to do.. that may be different for you

It is an interesting issue on whether the way to go is throw more actual pixels at the problem or whether to work smarter with the pixels you have.

K

11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    oh I so hope your tongue is in you cheek as you wrote this... there is only one thing worse than americans not getting irony .. its americans doing irony :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    If I had to chose I'd go for Hi Rez - but I have a feeling that the next EM-1 has to have both to compete for Olympus' sake, not mine. I love my EM-1 as is.

13. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    actually I think hi rez is given...heres hoping they throw enough processing power at it to do it hand held

K

14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Who knows, may be we will get S model with same or even less than 16 MPX.

15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I hope so too, but I'm betting that hope is in vain. I think you forgot one choice "Americans doing accidental irony", which is not even really possible...

16. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    That is what I meant, and while I don't have the link now, an Oly top dog mentioned it in an interview awhile back that it will be 1/60 and hand held. He also said that the Mark II version will be a game changer - what ever that means, but with the A7II and A7rII out, plus the replacement for the A6000 is supposed to be a top gun, i am not sure what Oly can muster up to make that claim. But I do know that I will get a Mark II. :)

17. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Please explain yourself! Assery followed by an emoticon is still assery.

18. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have some nice prints on my wall from a 12MP sensor. 12MP is enough for many people whether they will admit it or not. I voted for lower noise.

19. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    If the 32Mpx resized to 16Mpx would give better IQ than the current 16Mpx, then I'd go for that.
    If the ISO200 on 12Mpx would be absolutely noiseless (crystal clear) then I'd go for that.

How about a compromise: 21Mpx with a 1/2-1 stop better DR / noise handling? :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Agreed. To be honest, I'm finding the anti-American act is getting a little old. A few quips is all in good fun. But now it's just coming across as obnoxious prejudice. There's no reason for that sort of thing in this forum.