1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Would you pay for one of these?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jgmankos, Mar 15, 2015.

1. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    Ok..not trying to actually sell something...just trying to get an idea if this is something people would pay for.

Sorry but have to preface this with a back-story..
    A few years ago my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes...one of the first things we wanted to do was to get her a medical bracelet. So she thought it would be fun if we made her one from paracord, there's tons of braiding ideas and designs online so we took a ride to AC Moore, grabbed some paracord and some buckles, ordered her an engraved tag, and made her a bracelet. There was alot left over, so I thought I'd try my hand at making a camera wrist strap. I thought it actually turned out really good and I've used it ever since (the one below has been through 4 cameras :) )

So I was thinking...my daugther is at the age (16) where she wants to start having some spending money and such...but she's really involved in school activities so a job isn't the best thing for her at this point in time. I was kicking around the idea to set her up with a little online shop to sell paracord braided items. We were thinking dog leashes/collars and such but I also thought about this camera wrist strap.

So...whaddya think? Good idea? Dumb idea? A few bucks in materials and it took me about an hour to make it (which, of course could be cut down with practice). Would you pay in the neighborhood of $20 for a hand made item like this?

IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0063.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    I believe people do pay for paracord wrist straps although the ones I have seen online do not look as sturdy as yours. But do try a search just to check the competition. I think it is a great idea for your daughter to try out.

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I probably would in a solid color -- all black, all tan, something like that.

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I'm a neck strap user and don't like hand straps, but that looks like it will do the job nicely and it sounds a fair price.

5. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Maybe a solid color and/or shiny nylon string instead. That would work nicely for me.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/RuggedXessories?ref=l2-shopheader-name

I bought one of the wrist straps from these guys. It's Paracord Type 1. One of the things I've noticed is they all seem to use Paracord 550 (check Etsy, there are many and you can get an idea about pricing there as well). I had them create one for me out of Paracord 275, more than strong enough but much lighter. If you really wanted to start something like this I would suggest looking for something to set you apart. Something like other types of Paracord or a better system for swapping straps (wrist to neck). I'm REALLY not a fan of the plastic clips but look how this system allows you to quickly change between the 2.

http://luminous-landscape.com/the-ultimate-mirrorless-camera-strap/

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Here is the mother lode of paracord crafts: http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

By looking around there and at the linked sites you/she can get lots of product ideas and a sense of pricing.

http://www.strapworks.com also sells a lot of products that could be made from woven paracord instead of the nylon webbing they use. Again, you can get some idea of pricing by looking at theirs.

My guess is that offering custom work (different types of products customized with specific cord, braid, colors, lengths, etc.) may be the way to go. Then the customers' expectations won't be for next day shipment, which would burden you with an inventory. Custom work can burn you with inventory when you, for example, buy a roll of da-glo orange cord for a job and then never touch it again. But it is a slower, more controllable, kind of pain.

One product suggestion: A compatible family of wrist, neck, and glide/sling strap designs with quick disconnects at the camera, all built on a custom basis. That's the system that I have, home-made, and it is incredibly convenient -- easy to set the cameras up for the task at hand.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Looks like a fine product/idea

but in a 'business 101' type of thing, here are some things you should be building into a spreadsheet.. even if it is just a hobby

1) cost of materials - buying from a local store might not be most cost effective... they are applying a 10/20/30% or more markup

2) cost of production - yes I know you are making them as a hobby... but at least put a price on your time even if it is minimum wage or less

3) cost of marketing - you can make the greatest thing on earth, but if nobody knows about it .. then it doesn't exist. Cost for your time blogging,identifying other blogs/forums, sending out review samples, hosting a website

4) cost of sales... on line payment fees, shipping - both actual shipping fees and time/cost to pack/deliver to shipper... and maybe things like taxes, returned goods... oh and malicious customers suing you for broken cameras

Assuming you want to make a profit....then you have to address these things

my guess for a selling point would be 30-35 dollars plus shipping

good luck

K