1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Would you pay $350 for a G2 and kit lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Johnny1.33, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Found a demo, but the way they display them are strange. The cameras on display don't have any lenses on the body, exposing the sensor and all the camera "innards." The demo on the floor is $350 and you get the kit lens, charger, battery, etc.

Bad deal?

edit: It's really $370 after tax.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    One of the retail stores I visit for Olympus here in Canada does the same thing. The Sales Associate there is paranoid about people stealing lenses, so he just pulls the lenses even when there's no body cap for the camera. :p I've also seen it done on random bodies in other stores as well. One store out here where I do coaching has a Canon 5DII sitting on open display with no lens or body cap, out where people can take the demos and play with them.

Personally, that scares the heck out of me to see the camera left with sensor exposed like that. At least you can be sure of one thing though... even exposed like that, Panasonic and Olympus cameras are unlikely to have dust on the sensor which it can't shake off. It would take a very thorough professional sensor cleaning to make that Canon 5DII usable, lol.

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Maybe you can negotiate it down to $300! Some places will let you do that.

And make sure the sale is NOT "as is."

4. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    So is it a bad price then?

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Price looks good. There's a store here selling a demo G1 for $300. So $350 for G2 isn't bad. Although the G1 does come with a better kit lens than the G2.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The price is OK, but I'd be uneasy of a demo that's been sitting there sucking dust for who knows how long, but maybe someone here who knows about cleaning the innards of these can weigh in on it.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    In 20 years I've never refused a shelf model and never had an issue. I also bought my G2 from demo stock at a worse price than your offer.

I say go for it. You still have the warranty to back you up.

Gordon

8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Have you tried liking Panasonic on Facebook? I got a GH1 for $299 + tax

my iPhone sent this

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    John, the best deal they have going now are on g3 preorders (body $450, body/kit $525) - GH1 is gone, no G2s even listed. The GH2 and GF2 prices are pretty much a match to online retail as well once taxes are considered.

Those GH1 deals were really good - I paid $404 after taxes with a kit lens back in Feb.

10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The deals come and go so you've gotta be patient. I wouldn't be surprised if the G2s got relisted.

my iPhone sent this

11. $329.95 + free shipping at BH photo. Body kit only, new, from a store with a history of good customer service and a sponsor of this forum. Bad deal if you need to spend the extra $$s for a professional sensor cleaning. Is the kit lens close to the top of your list of lens to own?

12. glgsa

glgsa New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2011
    Still Deals Left

I got a G2 with the 14-42 kit lens from B&H for $404 last Friday and when I checked yesterday it was still available. It went on sale I think late Thursday night. Great place to buy from as have bought from them in past. Free shipping got it to me in two days.

You may have to hunt on the website as I did to find it. It may say discontinued but go to kits. Good luck.