1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Would you like to have a "maximum aperture" or "1 stop down max" mode for Zooms ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by yves75, Oct 27, 2015.

1. yves75

yves75 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    paris, france
    Was thinking about that the other day using the 14 140 and 100 300.

Was changing the zoom level quite a bit in A mode, and so readjusting the maximum aperture for each FL.

Do some cameras have a "maximum aperture" mode for zooms ?

That is a mode that when selected, will get the maximum opening for the current focal length (or you could specify "1 stop down from current max" in that mode)

And do you think such a thing would be useful ?

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If I don't adjust the aperture specifically, I'm fairly sure that on my GX7 if I set it to wide open at the shortest focal length it will stay at maximum aperture no matter where I zoom unless I adjust it afterwards.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Like most cameras I've used, this only works one way. For example, if you set a 14-42 to f3.5 at 14mm in aperture priority or manual, and then zoom in to 42mm, it will change to f5.6 for you because it has to. If you start at 42mm f5.6 and zoom out, it stays at f5.6. I don't know if that is good or bad, but that's how it seems to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. yves75

yves75 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    paris, france
    I don't have the camera next to me right now (G6) to test, but it seems to me that even if it is as you say going from short FL to long, when you set max opening at the longest FL and then reduce the FL, the aperture value will stay at what it was at the long FL.

Edit : Ah, same answer from tkbslc just before ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, that's my experience, too.

So I guess my advice is...set it to the max aperture when you're at the fast end of the zoom, and then don't change it at the long end?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. yves75

yves75 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    paris, france
    Yes, but the whole point would be to say "shoot at maximum aperture", and then forget about it .. :)

7. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    This is to some extend an interesting approach. I shoot with Panasonic bodies. And mostly with intelligent auto which is great @ Panasonic. I found out that the camera shoots wide open especially with the WA primes... This is fun.

But for the lone lenses 1 stop less ... yes that´s an option. Would like to have this feature, too!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just don't know how the camera is supposed to know whether you picked f5.6 because you wanted f5.6 or because it was the max.

9. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I guess the easy way is just to have another option past wide open as you spin the command dial that just say "max" or something. Or just have it highlight the max aperture if you spin it once more after it's wide open so that you know it's set to stay at max.

10. yves75

yves75 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    paris, france
    Yes, that would be a good simple way to implement it (would prefer the "max" specific setting)

11. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
    UK
    A similar thing happens when switching lenses. For example, using the max aperture of f/5.6 at the 200mm end of the 45-200 then switching to the 20mm (max aperture f/1.7), the camera (G3) keeps the aperture at f/5.6 (which is not an aperture I probably switched to the 20mm to use). Would be nice if you could move the aperture setting on the camera 'beyond' the lowest setting for that lens to a 'max' setting that used the max whatever lens was attached.

12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'm pretty sure the EM1 will open the aperture again when zooming out.

Barry

13. yves75

yves75 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    paris, france
    That would be highly surprising (don't think it is the case)

14. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Surprise!
    I just tried it with my 40-150R... Aperture priority, 40mm at f4, zoom in goes to f5.6, zoom out goes back to f4.0

Barry

15. yves75

yves75 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    paris, france
    Wow, interesting, and if you set it at 5.6 when at 150 and then zoom out, it stays at 5.6 ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yes.
    And f4.5 at 40mm will go back to f4.5 after zooming in/out.

Barry

17. yves75

yves75 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    paris, france
    Panny should do the same then ! :)

• Agree Agree x 1