1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Would you keep an E-M5 or an E-M1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by memzinla, Feb 12, 2015.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ahh! I'm in a dilemma. I was looking for an E-M5 or an E-M1, and came across the E-M5 first at good price. After I bought it I came across an E-M1 in silver at a good price also! I couldn't resist. Now I'll have two bodies with no lenses because I can't afford it. lol. Now I'm thinking of switching one of the bodies for a lens or two.

This is what I thought I would do:

Bundle A:
    E-M5 with Olympus 12mm F2 and Olympus 40-150mm.

Bundle B:
    E-M1 with Olympus 12-50mm and Olympus 40-150mm. I would be missing a fast lens though.

I've had both cameras before, and really enjoyed both. After having the E-M1 though I felt like it was so good! I loved it! I'm very happy with the E-M5 though. Just wish it had wifi.

What should I do? haha.

2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have both, use both, like both. I'd keep the E-M1 and save for the lenses I want rather than buy compromises. The reason I'd keep the E-M1 is that although it doesn't produce pictures that are any better technically than the E-M5, the whole user experience is just better. If I only had the E-M5, though...I would not complain at all...for whatever help that may be.

3. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    the e-m1 is kind of future-proof at the moment, still having features that the newly announced e-m5 II does not. while the e-m5 is going to be discontinued soon after the mark II is readily available, meaning it's price/value will likely drop to clear out stocks.

so personally, i would keep the e-m1 and sell off the e-m5 to get the lenses you need or want. :)

4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    For the same reason I would recommend to do the exact opposite.
    Sell the EM-1 while you can still get some money for it and keep the EM-5. Take pictures with it and run it into the ground.
    And, stop selling and re-buying the same cameras over and over.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 2
  5. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm so confused. haha.

I know. I need to stop! I have a serious case of GAS, and always want to try some other camera and ALWAYS end up going back to Olympus!

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Personally I would use the E-M1 as it has a much better viewfinder and focus peaking for if you ever want to use manual focus (keeps options open).

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you have no need for the PDAF, sell the EM1 and get lenses with the money. IQ is not that different and the EM-5 will serve you well.

Then in time you can either get the EM-5 Mk II or wait for the E-M1 Mk II.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm with you. What really makes the pictures is the lenses. I'd take a E-P1 with a 25mm f1.4 over a E-M1 with a 14-42 kit zoom. Luckily he does't have to go that extreme.

9. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm torn. If money wasn't an issue the decision would be clear.

On the E-M1 I really started to get used to the focus peaking. I started playing with manual focus. I would love to have the Olympus 12mm F2 and the Panasonic 25mm.

I think if I stay with the E-M1 I would finally stick with it, and just save money for better lenses. With the E-M5 I feel like it will be bad for my GAS. I'm not sure. The E-M5 arrives tomorrow. I don't have any lenses though. lol.

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

maybe stick with the E-M1 then, but compromise on lenses for now.

You can get Sigma f2.8 primes for like $100 used (some on this forum sale forum right now). Those are very sharp for the $$ and not too slow aperture. Maybe just grab a 19 and a 30mm and then start saving for what you really want.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I read these posts from time to time, but I admit that I just don't understand them one iota.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    EM5 for sure. You can only sell that for $400 and the EM1 will probably get you double. And don't get the 12/2 for the $500 it will cost you used, get the 12-32. Who cares if it's slow. You don't need fast at 12mm anyway, do you? And then, buy the 45.

EM5 - worth $400
    12-32 - $200
    45 - $250
    40-150 - $150

Total $1000. Not bad!

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    mate... I'm sure I've seen similar posts from you before; xxx vs xxx. You certainly seem to change camera's alot. Why don't you just stick to something you like?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Sell the most expensive item as you really should not be spending over your means.

12-50 if you need wide, M.Zuiko 40-150, obviously,
    and something cheap and fast.

• Like Like x 1
  15. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I usually stay at 12mm, which is why I thought of upgrading to the Olympus 12mm, but I think I'll have to pass on it again. I have been thinking about the 12-32mm. I wonder how it compared to the Oly 12-50mm.

Not a bad kit. :D

I do change cameras a lot. I wish I didn't. I would have had a great camera system by now!

It's what I've been thinking now. The E-M5 that I bought arrived, and it looks like new. Looks so so so good. I think those lenses are good + Panasonic 25mm, but the Panasonic 20mm would have to do for now. haha

16. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Yeah, IMO 12/2, while a great lens, for my shooting style anyway, is a waste of money. The reason being is that a) m4/3s won't have shallow DOF at that FL at f2 anyway, b) 12mm is good for landscapes and I won't be doing it at night anyway, and c) while the 12/2 is the best 12mm lens, it isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the 12-35 which itself isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the 12-32 which isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the 12-50. I'd say go for either of the latter two.

17. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I've got both the EM1 and EM5, along with all the lenses I could ever want. IMO, the EM1 is quite a bit more fun to shoot due the controls, ergonomics, and viewfinder.

That said, the above is really good advice. I just put together a small kit for a budget-conscience friend consisting of an EM5, 12-32 and 45/1.8, all used, for around $750 total. That's less than what an EM1 body only goes for. Lenses are what makes the biggest difference in terms of what you can shoot and the quality of the shots, especially when comparing cameras with the same image quality such as the EM1 and EM5. As long as you don't mind the EM5 ergonomics, I would sell the EM1 and invest in glass. Expensive camera body with cheap lens rarely makes sense.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While I understand a this or that threads, I think I might have to go along with Ray on this one. You've had both? Please don't take offense but it seems you're looking for reasons to justify keeping the more expensive option?

I've never owner the E-M5, but I have had the E-P5 & E-M1. I sold them both and got an E-M10. It has focus peaking, the upgraded AF, new processing engine, and enough other upgrades for my needs at a much lower price point. Used with our without the grip it gives you close to both from factors of the E-M5 and E-M1. That was my choice and while money was a consideration I could just as well have kept the E-M1.

19. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    * The Panasonic 12-32 is sharper but the 12-50 isn't a bad lens.
    http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1479/cat/15
    http://slrgear.com/reviews/zproducts/panasonic12-32f35-56g/panasonic12-32f35-56g.htm
    * 12-32 is stabilized.AFAIK, the E-M5 will not automatically switch the IBIS off with stabilized Panasonic lenses, even with the last firmware (can somebody confirm?). You'll have to switch it off manually, otherwise, the OIS and the IBIS will cancel one another.
    * I don't like the bokeh of the 12-50. On night pictures, it is not pretty.
    * the 12-32 is tiny, the 12-50 is rather long for an MFT lens.
    * the 12-50 is weatherproof, the 12-32 is not.

20. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I would go with my gut feelings on this. It sounds like you like the E-M1 better, if so I'd keep it. A camera you don't enjoy shooting with will end up being used less. If you like shooting with the E-M1 you'll use it more often. I sold my E-M5 after getting the E-P5 because it has many of the features that eventually ended up in the E-M1 (focus peaking, high res EVF [VF4], 0 second anti-shock) and I enjoy shooting with the E-P5 much more than the E-M5 mostly because the control layout fits my hands better. I started with the 12-50 and gradually saved up for better glass. The 12-50 is a very good lens and very versatile.